| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zumba Zumba Zumba!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I workout on a carpet and I've been doing it barefoot because my sneakers stick to the carpet and my socks get all twisted.

There is only one dvd that uses the toning sticks, and I think you can use 2 pound weights and be fine. More than that might be tricky. Because you actually hold them and dance and move around with them in your hands. But give it a try, can't hurt!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I got the 5 disc zumba set for Christmas and was fine with the step-by-step, but the activate killed me! I barely managed to make it to the 11 min mark. :-(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

dangersquirrel wrote:
I got the 5 disc zumba set for Christmas and was fine with the step-by-step, but the activate killed me! I barely managed to make it to the 11 min mark. :-(

Keep doing it! I love the activate dvd. Once you get that down, do it about 5 times, you will be able to move on to the more advanced ones. The 20 minute Rush dvd is a killer too! It's fast and a good workout for only 20 minutes.

Yay for Zumba!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:49 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

GraciaKai wrote:
dangersquirrel wrote:

Keep doing it! I love the activate dvd. Once you get that down, do it about 5 times, you will be able to move on to the more advanced ones. The 20 minute Rush dvd is a killer too! It's fast and a good workout for only 20 minutes.

Yay for Zumba!

I hope to join ya'll in this zumba love... one day soon. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(On the upside, this means that I'm not so terribly out of shape as I thought I was... ^^)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

Okay I'm taking the plunge today. Will report back. I might have to kick Buhbah out because I know he's going to make fun of me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 pm 
Chard Martyr

That was fun! And kind of easy. Except for the shaking my hips part--even though I haven't been a ballet dancer for yeaaaars I still can't let my hips go!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yay! So glad you liked it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thanks for the recommendation! Boredom is the number one reason I avoid working out, so it is great to find a workout that requires enough attention to choreography while time flies by. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Its so true!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

yay, so happy to hear others loving Zumba! It totally changed my opinion on what exercise means. I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

First Zumba class since Xmas. It was good to be back!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I did the activate dvd tonight! Its the best!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 am 
Ninja Master

I'm going to a class tonight. I've been once before and was unimpressed, the instructor didn't even have a microphone so there was NO instruction, we just had to follow her. And I didn't get out of breath at all, I was disappointed. I wonder if it's cuz I didn't really know what I was doing so didn't put as much effort into it. So I'm giving it another go.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm 

I got a heart rate monitor for Xmas & I actually burned more calories at Zumba last night than I did at Body Combat tonight. I think I prefer Combat but it's nice to vary it. I do run before Zumba & Body Jam though & I couldn't do that before a combat class. Also I think that once you know the routines it does mean you can give it more effort & feel more benefit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

The enthusiasm in this thread has convinced me I need to look for these dvd's the next time I'm at the store(or see if Netflix has them in the meantime). I watch the infomercial all the damn time and think it looks like so much fun, but I'm always hesitant to buy things from infomercials because they usually don't work.

How easy is it to pick up the moves? I haven't danced since I was a kid and seem to have 2 left feet normally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Do it! Some of the steps are easy some take practice. But, they give you an instructional dvd that teaches you what to do. And if you arent perfect you are still sweating your asparagus off and having fun. And thats what matters most!

Did the activate dvd again tonight but this time I used the toning sticks too. You arent supposed to, but I figured what the hell. Hopefully it helped me burn more calories and work my arms.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I teach a Zumba class so I was hoping ya'll enthusiasts might be able to give me some feedback:

1) Does your instructor use a continous mix of music, or do you do a song that ends and then a different song and so on?
2) Is there a demonstration of moves before the workout or do you just go right into it?
3) Are the moves on the sexy side? If so, does it make you feel dumb or is it fun?

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I only workout to the dvds, so Im not much help. But they do one song at a time. And I think the routines are less sexy and more dance oriented.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 pm 

Abelskiver wrote:
So I teach a Zumba class so I was hoping ya'll enthusiasts might be able to give me some feedback:

1) Does your instructor use a continous mix of music, or do you do a song that ends and then a different song and so on?
2) Is there a demonstration of moves before the workout or do you just go right into it?
3) Are the moves on the sexy side? If so, does it make you feel dumb or is it fun?

Thanks for the help!

I have had two different Zumba instructors. One is terrible, she has NO rhythm & does weird moves which involve head banging... Scary! She also forgets routines & is not coordinated.

The second instructor is brilliant. She is enthusiastic & knows her routines well. She does a song with a routine to it & then another song with another routine and so on. Often one will be quite hard on the legs then the next works more on another area. If we are doing new moves she sometimes demonstrates but usually she just explains as she goes along & the moves tend to be repeated so you soon pick it up quite quickly. The moves are sometimes sexy ish (I suppose) IT's fun. We often laugh & I'm always smiling. It's fun but I know how important a good instructor is now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Hmmm, my park district offers Zumba. But I'm already signed up for yoga and dance, I don't think I need to add another class. Actually, I think Zumba is at the same time as my yoga class, which I am absolutely not going to give up. But all this enthusiasm has me thinking I should see if my library has some Zumba dvd's I can check out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I really enjoy Zumba, I was going regularly until I was in a car accident last summer which screwed up my back. I went for the first time in months last week and loved it. I'm not the fittest, and I enjoy feeling like I've really worked out which is what I get.

I agree with the above comment about having a good teacher. The one I used to go to was amazing, but also hardcore which I'm not quite ready for at the moment. The new one was lame in comparison but it's a good way to get myself back into it.

I get MEGA bored working out, so I enjoy the music aspect of it and the fact you can smile and laugh without feeling like a prize idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 pm 
WRETCHED

I bought the DVDs last year and was doing them as a supplement to my other workouts. Well then my grandfather died and my workouts went to hell.

I'm trying to get back in them. I thought the DVDs were a bit too easy but I'm trying to get back on track and I think it'll help me. So I started again, today. The funny thing is I know the songs are made for them but there was one song in portuguese I presume but I think the song was about a mosquito and was really wondering if it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

linanil wrote:
I bought the DVDs last year and was doing them as a supplement to my other workouts. Well then my grandfather died and my workouts went to hell.

I'm trying to get back in them. I thought the DVDs were a bit too easy but I'm trying to get back on track and I think it'll help me. So I started again, today. The funny thing is I know the songs are made for them but there was one song in portuguese I presume but I think the song was about a mosquito and was really wondering if it was.

Haha! I have no idea what they are singing about. I wish I did!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:02 pm 
Ninja Master

I didn't like my instructor, that might be why I never went back. She didn't even have a microphone so there was absolutely NO instruction, which meant us newbies were flailing around a bit. You were just expected to follow her! I didn't like that.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next