| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've moved to rural New Mexico, and the dogs here are either leashed to a tree or running free. A few are fenced, but most fit in the first two categories. Though I have a million issues with people tying their dogs to trees to live out their lives, my current issue is with the free-running dogs. I run 4 times a week, and I am sick of being chased by dogs and I am concerned about getting bit. I can not find anywhere to run in my entire town or surrounding countryside where I'm not followed/chased by dogs.

Other rural people, how do you deal with this? I'm considering carrying pepper spray, but I'm 100% open to other solutions.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

Post subject: Re: Dog Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I know some people recommend a metal jar filled with pennies when training a dog, to distract them or startle them enough to stop what they're doing. I've also read a squirt gun filled with diluted vinegar is a distraction. It's unpleasant, but again, wouldn't hurt the dog or cause any real pain.

Where I live is semi-rural, in the middle of a bunch of farming communities, but people walk their dogs on leashes or keep them fenced. I'd be so afraid my dog would get hit by a car as well as scaring/hurting someone.

You could also fall or run into something if you're distracted by being chased. Maybe someone else can offer some other solutions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:04 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'd recommend getting some SprayShield: http://www.amazon.com/Premier-DIRECT-ST ... B0002XKIV6
It's a pressurized citronella spray, which dogs hate the smell of, and way safer than pepper spray. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to read up on dog body language and how to act if a dog is showing signs of aggression so you're prepared just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Boyfriend bought me pepper spray, I bought the citronella. I'll try that first. I used to work at a vet clinic, so I'm pretty familiar with the signs of aggression. I just hate having to stress about this! I just want ONE path with no free-roaming dogs.

dtbk: I went a bike ride 2 weeks ago, was chased by many dogs, and one was hit and killed by a car by the time I returned on my route. I do NOT understand people's attitudes about their dogs out here.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil