| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dizziness at Birkam Yoga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I REALLY wanna like it. It helps my back problems and I enjoy the warmth and dont mind sweating. But the excercised with my head hanging down really makes me dizzy and my ears ring (so much that I had to lie down for half of the time). Any idea how to overcome this? Will it get better after a while?

Post subject: Re: Dizziness at Birkam Yoga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:11 am 
WRETCHED

Were you drinking enough water? At got a massive headache and dizziness yesterday after my workout and I though I had been drinking enough but I think I was dehydrated.

Post subject: Re: Dizziness at Bikram Yoga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

haha, Birkam...

Linanil, I try to drink enough before and during bikram. but yes, maybe I should observe that closer...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 am 
Chard Martyr

See...this is why I hated Bikram. When I did the proper thing and just laid down to combat a mixture of nausea/near-fainting, my instructor barked at me to try to keep going.

You might be interested in trying Moksha. It's hot yoga but without the overtly fervent instructors and with some variety. Yoga is about being gentle and honouring where you are at, while challenging yourself with acceptance and patience.

Also...there is a Bikram studio in Vancouver on a major street with glass windows so passerby-ers can observe the class. One day I saw paramedics going in with a stretcher to collect someone who was passed out, while the instructor continued the class. It was baffling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

that's bullshiitake, vijita. (that it happened to you, i mean.) i've been to many a bikram class and spent many a minute on my back, combating whatever crummy feelings i was having at the time, and never once had an instructor comment, other than to motion or come over and check to see if i was okay. that instructor sounds like a dickweed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 am 
Chard Martyr

calcuhater wrote:
that's bullshiitake, vijita. (that it happened to you, i mean.) i've been to many a bikram class and spent many a minute on my back, combating whatever crummy feelings i was having at the time, and never once had an instructor comment, other than to motion or come over and check to see if i was okay. that instructor sounds like a dickweed.

That's good to hear (about your good instructors)! I've had a few awful experiences at Bikram but I totally know and trust others who love it. As someone who tends toward pushing myself further than might be necessary, it doesn't really suit my personality because instructors who verbally push me beyond what feels like a reasonable challenge can really ruin the experience. And I'm not a wimp...I just find that the heat is occasionally nauseating and dizzying. I also find the pranayama at the beginning of the class really dizzying and overbearing. I do have low blood pressure so that could have something to do with it.

Anyway, I guess I'm just saying that it's fine if Bikram isn't for you, because fortunately there are tonnes of other styles of yoga. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Be careful! I think Bikram can actually be pretty dangerous, especially if you sweat a lot, you could easily go into dehydration or there is always the possibility of heat stroke which is pretty awful. Make sure you have plenty of electrolytes and aren't on any medication.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

vijita wrote:
Anyway, I guess I'm just saying that it's fine if Bikram isn't for you, because fortunately there are tonnes of other styles of yoga. :)

amen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:37 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've been doing hot yoga (a guess a Bikram-Chowdry-less kind of bikram yoga although it is exactly the same except that the instructors are more friendly and not like military yoginis) and I've narrowed it down to not eating 2 hours before the class (strict about this), and drinking a lot of water both the day before and the hours leading up to the class (but still not much in the 2 hours before).

I also can't go directly after work because I'm still mentally distracted by the day.

If I break these rules, I notice that I either get sick or white out or get dizzy and have to stop for awhile. The instructors at my place will offer a cold wet towel to put on our neck if we really feel ill. So much better than my last place where they made you stay in the room and continue no matter what.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

that happened to me a lot at the beginning (and still occasionally) One thing that really helps is if you need to take a break in the first half of class, just stand still, or if need be sit down, don't lay down. I found the more I laid down and got back up the worse it got. Also don't close your eyes, most instructors remind you of this, but it really will make you feel worse. Finally, seems so obvious, but keep breathing the right way. the more you control your breath the easier it gets. It took me almost a year to finally figure that out, once I did it completely changed my practice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will really try it again. Especially the drinking the day before is new to me, I just tried to drink as much as possible before class... and yeah, the military style doesnt help either!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I find the problem is if there are backwards-leaning postures it makes me dizzy, so I avoid classes that have the backward leans (I do a variety of different hot yoga styles and I know which styles and instructors use them). If a backwards-leaning move comes up, I take it easy and either sit it out or do it a little bit, but make sure I don't push myself. Also, make sure you're extending and not compressing your neck/letting your head go in any backwards leaning pose - you can hurt yourself if you aren't careful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

I hate the teachers that scream at you! I just moved from humid FL to dry Salt Lake City. I loved the studio I went to in Florida which had friendly teachers and would talk and joke during class so it wasn't so serious. I don't enjoy it very much at all now here. The teachers are pretty much screaming and say the exact same thing every class. "Lean back, more back, go back, way back!"
So anyways, I think the teachers depend on the studio.

I was getting really dizzy when I started going in Utah, but had been doing it for 3 years and didn't get dizzy in Florida. I think because of the dry air. I found if I drink a bunch the day before and morning the day I go I do much better. I also started bringing homemade gatorade- water, a little orange juice, agave and salt, which helps.

I've been getting the weird ear ringing/cloudy hearing too... does anyone know if that's from dehydration as well?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:20 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

If your instructor is screaming at you or telling you off for taking a rest, I would advise changing studios.

I used to do Bikram. It's a shame the founder is off his nut because it helped me focus and maintain a healthy weight. I think there are many friendly Bikram teachers, but I've decided that the style isn't for me either.

I passed out during one session - I had diarrhea earlier in the day so I probably didn't replace my fluids adequately. I ended up trying a few different schools and finding classes that were more, grounded, I guess? I felt that Bikram wasn't in the spirit of yoga in the end.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]