| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foam rollers?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I was thinking about getting one for my hip - lunges and squats, even if I make a conscious effort to not go too low, are turning my right hip into total stiffness for half the week. But when I look on amazon there are a zillion lengths, firmnesses...etc. All I was able to find from googling was that I want a long one, and firmer isn't any better. Recommendations?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post subject: Re: Foam rollers?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have a 3' long, 6" round one from here:

https://www.performbetter.com/webapp/wc ... 1004918_-1

It's a pretty standard size. You can probably find one cheaper but I like this one cause I've used cheapo, softer white ones at the gym and they just don't feel right to me.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Are you talking about rolling your outer thigh (IT band)? If so, you'll need one that is long enough for you to be able to balance on without tipping, and it will need to be dense enough that you can get decent pressure without it squashing down when you put your weight on it. Also voting for you to skip the cheapy white ones. They are not dense enough and will develop a permanent squashed down part pretty quickly. You'll get better results if you spend the extra $20 or so on a professional one. Look for "closed cell foam".

These Balanced Body magic rollers are my favorites, durable and nice firm pressure. I teach classes with these and they have held up well through heavy use:

http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/store/ac ... oller.html

OPTP has a ton of rollers as well. I have some of their pro-rollers. They are a tiny bit softer than the Balanced Body ones:

http://www.optp.com/Foam-Roller-Therapy.aspx

If you are super sensitive you might look in to an even softer roller but I haven't ever had any complaints about the firmness of the Balanced Body or the OPTP ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 am 
Chard Martyr

stellamarie wrote:
OPTP has a ton of rollers as well. I have some of their pro-rollers. They are a tiny bit softer than the Balanced Body ones:

I have "The Grid" one from this link. It's amazing and awesome and after using it, I find that I'm definitely not as sore, even if I do a really hard workout where the same workout would make me sore for days otherwise. I think the black one Quarantined mentioned is the next best one, in my experience. For me at least.

I hope you find one that you like!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Meggs wrote:
stellamarie wrote:

I have "The Grid" one from this link. It's amazing and awesome and after using it, I find that I'm definitely not as sore, even if I do a really hard workout where the same workout would make me sore for days otherwise. I think the black one Quarantined mentioned is the next best one, in my experience. For me at least.

I hope you find one that you like!

whoa, that Grid one looks cool and high tech!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles