| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Weight Loss and Fitness Gadgets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I take it back about Fitbit support. After my last email saying I'd already tried what they were telling me to do more than once they answered asking about when and where I got my Fitbit and are sending me a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Duplicate Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:
People with Charge HRs, how long does it last after charging? It said it should last about five days but I'm not even getting 48 hours out of mine. I turned off the continuous sync as soon as I got it so it wouldn't drain my phone.

Mine lasts a little under 48 hours too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:
I take it back about Fitbit support. After my last email saying I'd already tried what they were telling me to do more than once they answered asking about when and where I got my Fitbit and are sending me a new one.

That's great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 am 
WRETCHED

I'm going to join your ranks once again, once I find my fitbit once again (job for today).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:28 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Hollie wrote:
Does anyone have one of the stands for your bike that makes it stationary? I was looking at some on Amazon, but I just...do those things work? I just keep imagining myself accidentally riding through my TV or something.

Mine replaces a tire or hub or something as well. I would ask this Q in the Bicycling thread At any rate, the one I have is pretty loud, so if you have headphones you could maybe hear TV with it. The cheap ones are probably more frustrating than they are worth. A guy was giving away the one I have and I could see why. If I didn’t have such great weather for riding outside 90% of the time I would invest in a better one. Or just get an elliptical. It was great for when I was re-habbing my broken leg though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My husband was telling me tonight about all the funny exercises he sees people log on their devices.

Netflix and chill came up a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:17 am 
Tofu Pup

I have a Garmin Vivofit, which was great. It kept track of my sleep, steps, and only had one problem. It is worn on the wrist, and I can't stand watches. I kept taking it off, and having no clue where I put it. Currently I have a Fitbit Zip that hooks on my bra, and I love it. If I move it to my sock, it will count steps when I'm on my bike.

Rarely do I make 10,000 steps, and on lazy days, or days with lots of papers to work on, I'm lucky to get 1,000. But I try. How sad is it, that my goal in challenges is to not come in last?

https://www.fitbit.com/user/3QCLM8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just got a fitbit! No idea why it's saying how much I've slept today, I just put it on under an hour ago.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/47PLQ5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know if this has been discussed before in this thread, but I came across this article about wearables potentially selling health data to insurance companies at some point in the future. This Brave New World scares me, and I'm thinking that maybe I should stop using my two month old Fitbit because of it.

http://lifehacker.com/lots-of-health-apps-are-selling-your-data-heres-why-1574001899

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My husband works at Fitbit and I'll just say I know they take privacy very seriously. Like, crazy seriously. He is the one who anonymizes all the data and it would really ruin their business model to sell data to insurance, at least this is what he tells me.

His whole job is to analyze user data to improve user experience, make recommendations to users based on their habits, etc. That's why they collect data.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LFL, I just asked my husband. FWIW he said the authors don't know what they're talking about (re Fitbit) and Fitbit has a very strict privacy policy that they have no interest in changing. He said if it does change it will be to help the user (user will be allowed to go ive access to their insurance to lower their premium, not sold to insurance to raise premiums). He also said the center for democracy reviewed their privacy policy and told them its unlike all the other fitness companies in its respect for user privacy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

couroupita wrote:
LFL, I just asked my husband. FWIW he said the authors don't know what they're talking about (re Fitbit) and Fitbit has a very strict privacy policy that they have no interest in changing. He said if it does change it will be to help the user (user will be allowed to go ive access to their insurance to lower their premium, not sold to insurance to raise premiums). He also said the center for democracy reviewed their privacy policy and told them its unlike all the other fitness companies in its respect for user privacy.

Thanks Couroupita! That's very reassuring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:57 pm 
WRETCHED

So I have an Apple watch that I don't use but I started using again. I also had a fitbit but I can't find it. I'm sure it is somewhere but I looked in all the usual places, I must've stored it somewhere.

Anyway, my health insurance now integrated with apple watch so that part is good. Although I can't be fitbit buddies with y'all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 pm 
BAD PASS

I'm trying not to be a Negative Nancy, and this sure isn't sour grapes, but I'm 90%? sure that someone in my Workweek Hustle challenge group is cheating somehow.

(Backstory: the mutual friend we all have in this is super active with messages and shiitake talking, so this is the most fun challenge group ever and I love it) This person and I were trading leads back and forth all morning, so I know she was syncing. Then I went to lunch. I parked a few blocks away from where I was going, and the walk back and forth took longer than both the wait and the drive, so I wasn't just sitting or standing still. When I got back to work and checked again, she was 13,700-something steps ahead of me. ??

I mean, maybe there's something weird with the syncing, but also -- if you ARE cheating, WHY? What's the point in being proud of winning if you didn't really? Ugh.

My feet hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My old boss and coworkers are super competitive with their steps. Like crazy competitive, we were convinced one of the guys was cheating for the longest time cause he would pull ahead of our boss who would literally go walk at the track for 30,000 steps to regain the lead. His feet were bleeding!

But the guy swears he was legit walking, might just be shorter steps? I know when we walked all together their heart rates were way higher then mine but I wound up with more steps/lower heart rate (i.e. fitbit thought I wasn't exercing) while the coworker had a crazy high fat burn heart rate and the most steps. Meanwhile my boss got the least # of steps but a decent heart rate in the middle for exercise/fat burn zones.

So it could just be that everyone is different.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:38 pm 
BAD PASS

Today one of the guys I was neck in neck with (we were passing each other back and forth while I was getting ready for work, so he was definitely syncing the whole time) jumped over 6,000 steps during my 10 minute drive to work.

I am wary.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hollie wrote:
Today one of the guys I was neck in neck with (we were passing each other back and forth while I was getting ready for work, so he was definitely syncing the whole time) jumped over 6,000 steps during my 10 minute drive to work.

I am wary.

Hollie - this made me laugh really loudly in my cubicle at work. I was trying to think, "how does someone get 6,000 'steps' in just 10 minutes?" and then i was like, "ooooooooh!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:01 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cheating definitely happens. Someone did the math in one of my groups and found that the leader was "walking" about 23 hours per day. (I guess the other hour was when he charged the device?)

I have no idea why they do it. I pretty much stopped doing the contests because I feel like I'm never going to win anything because I'm not a runner and that's pretty much all a lot of people I know do for exercise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10