| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Weight Loss and Fitness Gadgets
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah it seems like not all people with nickel allergies are getting the rash. Pretty weird! Some people were reacting to the glue they use to adhere the device to the wrist band, too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I do not understand why any of these products have nickel in them. That seems truly dumb.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've been wearing my Fitbit constantly and the clasp doesn't seem to be bothering me. It's slightly big so its not always in direct contact with my skin, but it seems to be ok. I love it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Dear Jawbone tech support, if you tell me one more time to reinstall my app, I will come to your house and punch you in the neck. That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

Mines more of an app gadget, but I love Map My Run and Nike Training Club. Two essentials for my workouts routines and runs when I'm not on a treadmill!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I am thinking about getting a fitbit zip to track activity, but I also need something to track food. How is the fitbit app for that? I thought that'd be more convienient than using two separate programs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I pre-ordered the Moov last year: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/27/54533 ... al-trainer

It's supposed to ship end of July. I'm really curious to see how I like it. I gave up wearing my BodyMedia because the strap is uncomfortable and the plastic piece that holds the device onto the strap keeps breaking. While I was waiting for a replacement strap, I bought a cheapo LifeTrack watch at TJ Maxx and it gave me the exact same readings as the Body Media. It's much more comfortable and nothing breaks.

It doesn't track sleep and it doesn't sync with my food journal like BodyMedia does -- but I wasn't using those features anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Kiddo wrote:
I am thinking about getting a fitbit zip to track activity, but I also need something to track food. How is the fitbit app for that? I thought that'd be more convienient than using two separate programs.

Fitbit doesn't seem to have as many foods as MyFitnessPal does, and they do link to one another. I understand preferring more of a one stop shopping inclination though. Interface was fine, but you may have to add a lot of foods yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Kiddo wrote:

Fitbit doesn't seem to have as many foods as MyFitnessPal does, and they do link to one another. I understand preferring more of a one stop shopping inclination though. Interface was fine, but you may have to add a lot of foods yourself.

Thanks! I will take a look at MFP too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just got a garmin vivofit that I really like. I think it synchs with MFP? I don't really use that. I like the fact that I don't have to charge it and I can wear it all the time. I kept losing my fitbit one and I could never remember to charge it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm 

Is the only real difference between the FitBit zip and the other models the lack of sleep tracking?

I wouldn't wear any of them to bed, but I didn't know if there was any difference in accuracy between the models that'd be worth the extra $40. It doesn't seem like it, but can anyone who has used the others and the zip offer insight?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
Is the only real difference between the FitBit zip and the other models the lack of sleep tracking?

I wouldn't wear any of them to bed, but I didn't know if there was any difference in accuracy between the models that'd be worth the extra $40. It doesn't seem like it, but can anyone who has used the others and the zip offer insight?

No sleep monitoring or stairs counter, but otherwise it's the same. I forget where I saw it, but Zip and One were ranked most accurate. I have the Zip and I'm happy with it. I'd love to have the stairs counted, but not enough to pay the extra money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

My mom just got a fitbit and really likes it so far but I do agree with what some others have to say..unless you really push yourself you may get discouraged not reaching the goal everyday. Luckily my mom is have a friendly competition with some of her coworkers, and that will definitely get them all to pass their goals daily. I haven't used any piece of equipment you have to buy but I do use my iphone mainly for mapmyrun. It keeps your info so you see how you've progressed. You can also detail your exercise so it's not just for running.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:28 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

jennyg wrote:
My mom just got a fitbit and really likes it so far but I do agree with what some others have to say..unless you really push yourself you may get discouraged not reaching the goal everyday.

Is the goal adjustable?
(It is with the UP.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The goal is adjustable on the fitbit. 10k is the default but you can change it online.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm on Day 57 of meeting (or exceeding) my 10K step goal on my fitbit! I think my record for one day is somewhere around 35K and I'm kind of obsessed with breaking it.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
I'm on Day 57 of meeting (or exceeding) my 10K step goal on my fitbit! I think my record for one day is somewhere around 35K and I'm kind of obsessed with breaking it.

Have you read David Sedaris's New Yorker piece? Don't get too obsessed. (Says the kid who never breaks 10K anymore).

Do you wear it to run?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:17 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Have you read David Sedaris's New Yorker piece? Don't get too obsessed. (Says the kid who never breaks 10K anymore).

Do you wear it to run?

I read that! Funny stuff. My vivofit increases/decreases the goal depending on trends and that does make me a bit competitive with myself.

Congrats on the streak, L! I want a streak like that. So far I am good for July but today has been no good. I flew home from a trip today and then crawled in bed for an extended nap. I am nowhere near my goal even after going for a walk before dinner. I'm going to have to walk again after I put the toddler to bed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Do you wear it to run?

Ha, a bunch of people sent that to me because I'm always talking about having to get my steps.

I do wear it to run...is that normal? It never occurred to me not to!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:17 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

lobsteriffic wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Do you wear it to run?

Ha, a bunch of people sent that to me because I'm always talking about having to get my steps.

I do wear it to run...is that normal? It never occurred to me not to!

I wear mine when I run, in part it's because I use MFP and like just being able to integrate all my cardio into one place. It's also partly because I'm trying desperately to beat my mother in law on the leader board. She consistently has over 130k weekly steps! Howwwww?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:12 am 

When I was really keeping track of everything, I would wear my garmin to run, and that would sync with Endomondo which syncs with MFP, so wearing the fitbit, too, felt like double dipping from a MFP standpoint. I always wanted to count those steps too though! I think it makes sense to wear it unless you're being overly whatever like I was.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:40 am 

ndpittman wrote:

No sleep monitoring or stairs counter, but otherwise it's the same. I forget where I saw it, but Zip and One were ranked most accurate. I have the Zip and I'm happy with it. I'd love to have the stairs counted, but not enough to pay the extra money.

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner!

Thank you, that is good to know! I ended up ordering a Zip for me and one for my mom for a b-day present. I also ordered some lanyards made for pedometer type devices to loop through the case, since it just seems so easy to lose.

They're supposed to get here Monday, excited!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:46 pm 

I've become addicted to my step goals. It's helping me do more stuff and I have a healthy competition with my partner and my mother started recently, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:41 am 

I thought I had lost my fitbit and I was so sad because I made it to 100 days of getting at least 10,000 steps! But then today I found it hidden in my bed, I think my cat took it. So I'm happy to have it back, but irrationally bummed about my weekly step count being off because I had to miss tracking for 3 days. Now I'm going to fall down on my friends list ranking thing, I'm always trying to beat Nebraskalaska, she gets crazy high step counts!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My dad had heart surgery earlier in the year, and since then he's been going to physical therapy, bought a treadmill and is eating much healthier. His birthday is coming up, and I'm thinking of getting him a FitBit.

I've never had a FitBit, though I have had/do have other similar gadgets. Is the FitBit Zip easy enough to set up and use that my dad, who is confused by all forms of technology, would not get mad and fling it across the room? Does it need any sort of online subscription (like the BodyMedia does)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6