| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gym etiquette
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:53 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Luckily my gym has 3 squat racks...I don't think I've ever seen them all being used. Although now that I said that, they will surely be packed when I go tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

torque wrote:
NOTE: I DO NOT FART WHILE WEARING THEM

Haha! Earbuds are only a license to fart for old men on the cardio machines. There is no get out of fart free card for the rest of us. Especially the bros in the free weight area who can peel the paint off the walls with their whey protein farts. Gahhh!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I fart all the time, constantly, with or without earbuds. Didn't realize it was something I needed to moderate somehow... Don't even know how!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My gym is almost always empty, and those who are there all usually have earbuds plugged in. So it's free to fart to your heart's content. It will echo though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I fart all the time at the gym- I feel kind of guilty, but oh well, I can't help it. And yeah, most people have ear buds in so they can't hear it, but I'm always afraid they're going to know it's me by the location of the smell.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

j-dub wrote:
At the gym today this bro-type dude was using a kettlebell in the general vicinity of the squat rack. Another guy came up to use the squat rack and the bro-dude was all "nah, brah, I'm using it"*. About three minutes later (i.e. plenty of time to have done a set or two) he goes over to the squat rack and uses the area to JUMP ROPE! God he was irritating.

*I may be editorializing slightly on the dialogue.

arggh, that is infuriating.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 pm 
Impressive boner

Even if I get to the squat rack at 6.30am it's more than likely that someone will be taking their sweet time doing some move that doesn't require the use of the rack.

I'm tired of the gym. I picked up a second hand olympic barbell and weight set today and ordered some kettlebells and a squat rack. After they arrive I'm canceling my gym membership.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 am 
Ninja Master

This has probably been mentioned in some form but from going yesterday I get irritated by someone standing on a cross trainer, just to yak to their friend for 15 minutes. 15 MINUTES!! I like that cross-trainer, it's at the end of the row and it's right under the aircon. She didn't use it at all she just stood on it to yak. GAAHHH.

Of course being british I just smiled politely while I cursed her inwardly and used another machine but oooh it wound me up.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:37 pm 

I swear, if one more woman sprawls out on the benches in the locker room, blocking all the damn lockers, and then doesn't move when I politely say "hey my locker is right there" I will probably explode.

And I don't understand people that go to group exercise classes and then don't do the group moves at all, but stand right in front of you so you can't see yourself in the mirror. We have a lady that comes to Body Pump, doesn't follow sequence or timing and will literally set up right in front of me. One day I may drop my weights on her. She also comes to Zumba and does the same things. Friggin nut case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh man, so many groups of dude-bros taking turns on the machines and not sharing with the rest of the gym-goers! They all work out together and hog the machines. fdklfjsdlfjs.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

assilembob wrote:
And I don't understand people that go to group exercise classes and then don't do the group moves at all, but stand right in front of you so you can't see yourself in the mirror. We have a lady that comes to Body Pump, doesn't follow sequence or timing and will literally set up right in front of me. One day I may drop my weights on her. She also comes to Zumba and does the same things. Friggin nut case.

There's a woman in my Pump class who does the exact same thing! She sets up way too close to people, then snaps at them to move because she needs space, then she spends the hour flailing about however she feels like it. She comes to my spin classes sometimes too, and she spends the whole time chatting to her friend and not changing her pace at all. I'm pretty sure she's retired so I get that she probably wants to get out and see people, but if there are people turned away from the class because the bikes are all taken, you should probably just go out for coffee instead.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:15 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Erinnerung wrote:
assilembob wrote:

There's a woman in my Pump class who does the exact same thing! She sets up way too close to people, then snaps at them to move because she needs space, then she spends the hour flailing about however she feels like it. She comes to my spin classes sometimes too, and she spends the whole time chatting to her friend and not changing her pace at all. I'm pretty sure she's retired so I get that she probably wants to get out and see people, but if there are people turned away from the class because the bikes are all taken, you should probably just go out for coffee instead.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves! We have a class like Body Pump that is ALWAYS packed. If you're going to do other exercises, do them somewhere else! This class is for people who are at least trying to follow along with what the instructor is doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think your Flailing Lady may be the Crazy Insult Lady from my gym. She hasn't been around lately, I assume she's seeing the world and harrassing you folks for a change, since this sounds right up her alley.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There's a Pump class at my gym at 9am on Saturdays, and it's always packed so you have to get there super early to grab yourself a spot and some equipment. But there's a group of about five retired women who seem to nominate one person to go early and set up for the rest of them. It really shiitakes me that I get up early on a Saturday, go to the gym at 8am so that I can get a spot, then kill time doing cardio for an hour while I wait, and these people roll out of bed at like 8:30, wander into the gym at 8:58 and have a great spot with everything they need. And again, there are people getting there half an hour before the class starts to find that the room is already full and getting turned away.

Also it shiitakes me that people at my gym clearly love Pump and are getting turned away, but the gym doesn't put more Pump classes on the schedule. Just things that no one cares about, like that one that's like Zumba but with 80s music.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:13 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

It's probably not good etiquette to point out that I'm lifting more than you and then to rationalize why you are unable to lift the same amount.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fupapack wrote:
It's probably not good etiquette to point out that I'm lifting more than you and then to rationalize why you are unable to lift the same amount.
They must be using their ego as a counterweight.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Next instalment in my Pump woes: I rushed out of work after hurrying to finish a brief that needed to be done, got to the gym about 20 minutes before Pump started and set up all my stuff. Got changed, went for a quick run and came back as the class was starting- to find some girl using my shiitake and no space or equipment left for me. I was actually totally shocked and confused (like who the fork does that? 'Oh, tee hee, all this carefully set up equipment must be for me because I'm a special forking snowflake'), and the class had already started so I just walked out and went for a rage-run. Now that I'm home I regret not going in there and making a (minor) scene about it. I love my gym and the staff are all great, but I just can't deal with the other people that go there. I wish I weren't too lazy to do all this stuff at home.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 am 
Ninja Master

Erinnerung wrote:
Next instalment in my Pump woes: I rushed out of work after hurrying to finish a brief that needed to be done, got to the gym about 20 minutes before Pump started and set up all my stuff. Got changed, went for a quick run and came back as the class was starting- to find some girl using my shiitake and no space or equipment left for me. I was actually totally shocked and confused (like who the fork does that? 'Oh, tee hee, all this carefully set up equipment must be for me because I'm a special forking snowflake'), and the class had already started so I just walked out and went for a rage-run. Now that I'm home I regret not going in there and making a (minor) scene about it. I love my gym and the staff are all great, but I just can't deal with the other people that go there. I wish I weren't too lazy to do all this stuff at home.

ugh that is so rude, who does that???

I would've been enraged too! I probably would put a water bottle or something on the step so that people know it's taken.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

baps wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

ugh that is so rude, who does that???

I would've been enraged too! I probably would put a water bottle or something on the step so that people know it's taken.

I would freak out if this happened to me. fork people at gyms, seriously.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erinnerung wrote:

Wow...I can't even imagine the rage I would feel! Seriously! Why would someone think that's okay??

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I was equal parts mad and utterly perplexed that someone would even consider doing that. I think I'm going to buy/make a water bottle with some kind of vaguely threatening phrase on it and start leaving that around the place to mark my territory.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 am 
Chard Martyr

There was poop on the floor of my gym's* changing room floor last night. Poop!

*I don't really use the gym. I just gossip with my coworkers in the whirl pool.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 am 
Ninja Master

Ewwwww what? That's forking disgusting.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 am 

you make me love my gym.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Like Gulliver said, gym time is my time. I don't even like having a quick chat with people (I'm a bit of a misanthrope and socially awkward). I usually ride the recumbent bike because the regular stationary bikes make my asparagus sore. Anyway, I usually have my headphones on (and my iPod is strapped to my wrist, so it's really very clear that it's there) and I'm reading a book*, and people (usually staff) will still try to talk to me. These are the signs that I don't want conversation! If I have a problem, I'll seek out a member of staff. But I'm fine! Leave me alone!

*Yes, I still get an effective workout while reading a book.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next