| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gym etiquette
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am 
Ninja Master

I hate when the two people stand in front of my treadmill/crosstrainer... etc and have a chat for pretty much the whole time I'm on there! It happens quite a lot at my gym and it's really annoying.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Can I complain about the walking park here? I know it's not the gym but it's the same principle.

First, if you're going to walk and read a book, whatever, but please stay to one side. You really don't need to walk right down the middle of the track. Funny enough, last time I saw someone doing this she was walking way faster than several other people around which amused me to no end.

Also, your dogs are beautiful. I love them and want to cuddle them but I'm lazy and trying to make myself run so I can't stop. If you have a retractable leash, you really don't need to walk on one side of the track while your pup is on the other, creating at best a barrier, at worst a tripwire of doom and a dangerous situation for your dog.

Finally, I think it's great to go with friends or to run into people you know. Yay! But please, move to the side at least a little. You don't have to stand in the grass, but you also don't need to stand 5 wide so no one can get through. I try really hard to teach my five year old about lanes and the flow of traffic and she gets it most of time. Well, some of the time.

Believe me, I love space more than anyone. I can occupy an entire room all by myself but when I'm in a public space I do try respect that other people may need to share the area.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am 
Dead by dawn

+ a million, bekki! We have a beautiful 3 mile paved trail around a lake here, which of course attracts walkers, dog walkers, joggers, runners, rollerbladers, cyclists, strollers, etc... It's well-used all day every day. There's a wheels side and a feet side, and common sense rules about staying to the right so faster people can pass you, not walking three abreast or letting your dog wander anywhere and everywhere should go without saying. But so many people are just so self-absorbed. The worst was when a woman who had a very small dog on a flexi leash after dark. LADY, THAT STRING IS INVISIBLE IN THE DARK! I was running and the woman was way on one side, the dog way on the other near some other people so I thought the dog was with them since I couldn't see the black string. I ran right into it, almost fell, which jerked the poor dog halfway back across the trail, which led to me VERY nearly stomping on it while I was flailing around trying not to fall. I was almost in tears when I yelled at that woman that she was going to get her dog very badly hurt if she didn't use some common sense. Ugh, I hate people so much sometimes!

I only use my gym for the pool and so far it isn't bad. When I was using the public pool the lap swim times were so limited and people would drive me batshit by getting in a lane and just bobbing around with a noodle or whatever. It's LAP swim time, if you aren't going to swim laps, come at adult free swim time. The pool would be packed and we'd all be trying to negotiate sharing a lap lane with four other people and doing OK with it, then a damn bobber would plop themselves into the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

bekki wrote:
forking horrible park shiitake

all of the things you mention are why i do most of my running on the treadmill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:08 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm probably going to be in someone's gym etiquette (or walking trail) thread because when people walk three and four abreast with strollers and dogs on leashes stretched across the path? Well, I'm very tempted to just body check them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 pm 
Dead by dawn

ndpittman wrote:
I'm probably going to be in someone's gym etiquette (or walking trail) thread because when people walk three and four abreast with strollers and dogs on leashes stretched across the path? Well, I'm very tempted to just body check them.

Move to Seattle and come running with me! Time flies when you're having fun watching ndp body check all the rude people!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:18 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

A lot of these things bother me, as well-- particularly equipment and track lane hogging, and not wiping down the machines after usage. That said, I can't imagine why one would be annoyed at what others choose to do in their own workouts, or by what someone else at the gym is wearing!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

chop_socky wrote:
A lot of these things bother me, as well-- particularly equipment and track lane hogging, and not wiping down the machines after usage. That said, I can't imagine why one would be annoyed at what others choose to do in their own workouts, or by what someone else at the gym is wearing!

1. When something is potentially dangerous (like the retractable leashes)
2. Against the rules (cell phones)
3. Inconveniences others (machine hogging, going past time limits while others wait)
4. Gross (bending over naked a foot away from someone's face)

In these cases, I care. Doing things like this smacks of "I'm special" self entitlement, which is the common trait of all loathsome people.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:10 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

tgw777 wrote:

In these cases, I care. Doing things like this smacks of "I'm special" self entitlement, which is the common trait of all loathsome people.

Oh come on. I'm super naked in the locker room because .... it is a locker room. And if I have to bend over to get my bra I dropped or put lotion on my (apparently gross) naked body then, well ... it is a locker room. It's not the post office, or a funeral.

There's lots of legit complaints in here--machine hogging, sweat nastiness, whatever, but nudity in a locker room? If people are lookin at me and get bothered, then that's on them. It is a locker room. Also: my jugs are just jugs, my bush is just a bush. Same for my downstairs friend Lady Snatchington.

People need to chill/deal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:34 pm 

tgw777 wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

1. When something is potentially dangerous (like the retractable leashes)
2. Against the rules (cell phones)
3. Inconveniences others (machine hogging, going past time limits while others wait)

I was actually referring to comments directed toward fellow gym-goers who, for instance, aren't burning enough calories for the poster's liking, or who are reading magazines, wearing *gasp* revealing clothing, and the like while working out. I would think it obvious that most people aren't fond of rule-breaking/engaging in dangerous activities in the gym.

And yeah, the expectation that people cover up in the locker room is ridiculous. The locker room at my gym is constantly crowded with naked bodies, and I constantly run into butts, boobs, and limbs. That's just how it is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was talking about excessive nakedness, which I thought I made clear in my original post. There are people who clearly just like to walk around naked and show their goods, and I find it weird, gross, and offensive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ooh there's this guy at my gym I call "male climax noise maker" for obvious reasons. And he's a screamer!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:42 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Kiddo wrote:
And he's a screamer!

ahaha. This made me laugh so hard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bekki wrote:
Now I have even more reasons to avoid the gym!

Do any of y'all wonder what the other people at the gym are saying about us? On a more serious note, fear of being judged and evaluated keeps some people from going to the gym in the first place. Just a thought. . .

Some of these complaints are common courtesy (machine hogging, drippy sweat) and are usually covered by the gym rules. Other things seem to fall more in the "damn I hate sharing this planet with other people sometimes" realm of things.
Those things that fall outside of what you can change might be best dealt with by finding a way to adapt or deal with in another way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 pm 
Semen Strong

For me venting on an internet board is a way to adapt or deal. Its super-frustrating to have people be inconsiderate, but none of us can be Emily Post 24/7 Etiquette Police. So sometimes its nice to just go "ARGH! this annoys me!" And then carry on with life.

Even if you think my pet peeves are trivial, it still makes me feel better to vent.

Argh people who put their boots on the bench I sit on to get dressed! Argh people who claim equipment by putting their stuff on it and then disappearing! Argh people who change the channel to TMZ while I'm watching Meet the Press! Argh people who use a huge stack of paper towels to wipe down their equipment, wasting tons of paper in a day. Haven't they heard of the environment?

ARGH! I tell you, ARGH!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Vantine wrote:
bekki wrote:

Do any of y'all wonder what the other people at the gym are saying about us? On a more serious note, fear of being judged and evaluated keeps some people from going to the gym in the first place. Just a thought. . . .

Oh I know what they're saying about me. I'm the fat baggy lady covered in sweat who "runs a lot but doesn't seem to be losing any weight" (personal trainer who would love me to buy protein powder) and who "dresses like a man" (several times, always proceeding towards homophobic drivel, and always from one girl wearing a bikini to another; that's why i'm so judgmental about other people's clothing). It's amazing what you hear when your headphones are in but you're between songs.

ETA: i am all for people to be proud of what they've got. but when you start making shitty assumptions about how fat girls are dykes and women must be wearing as little as possible to be attractive and to be women, then i've got a problem. maybe that makes me a nasty, bitter, judgmental person.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:36 am 

torque wrote:
i am all for people to be proud of what they've got. but when you start making shitty assumptions about how fat girls are dykes and women must be wearing as little as possible to be attractive and to be women, then i've got a problem. maybe that makes me a nasty, bitter, judgmental person.

No, I just think it reinforces the fact that it's no one's goddamned business how many calories someone else is burning, or what he or she chooses to wear to the gym.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Honestly, I don't particularly care that much unless someone is just sitting on a machine talking to their friends and not actually working out. Not wiping down the machine? I am totes guilty, I think about 2 people in my gym do it and I don't really care. If it bothers me that much I can just wipe it down before I use it.

ETA That if the gym is pretty empty and you sit on the bike or go on the treadmill right next to me instead of any of the other billion machines, I want to kill you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 am 
ugh

tgw777 wrote:
I was talking about excessive nakedness, which I thought I made clear in my original post. There are people who clearly just like to walk around naked and show their goods, and I find it weird, gross, and offensive.

Who gets to decide how much nakedness is "excessive," especially in a place where people are often naked?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have to say, the naked thing (I'm not crazy about it), but I realize that's my own person thing. From a young age I was taught to be ashamed of nakedness, and I try not to force that on other people.

Another pet peeve of mine is showing up late to classes, especially yoga. Once I was in a yoga class where someone came in late and answered a text message later in the practice. The teacher had to ask the person to put the phone away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

my gym is pretty small and not very crowded, which I love(but I'm sure the people that own the gym don't love). I don't have very many issues with waiting on machines, so I don't have many complaints. I do hate when people don't wipe down machines, because I'm a maniac about it! We do have one guy that sings very badly along with his Ipod, we have a family that argues constantly, and the owner of the gym is overly chatty. I'm a very social person, but I get in my zone at the gym and don't really feel like talking much. I'm a people watcher, and love to watch what other people do, I have wondered if they do the same to me!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I get to the gym first thing in the morning to get the good elliptical (we've got four of them, but only one has an incline, and doesn't do a number on my knees). We've got a 30 minute time limit on the machines, which I follow.

So I'm there at 5:00 on the nose, starting my routine. Usually I'm the only one in there at that time - and definitely the only elliptical user. And every morning at 5:10, a woman comes in with her friend and - speaking to me as though I can barely speak english, and with a good tone of how-dare-I-use-her-machine - wants to know how much longer I'm going to be. So I tell her - 20 minutes. Then she sighs, saying "Okaaaaaay..." and storms away with her sidekick to the Slightly Less Awesome Ellipticals, where they proceed to bisque and moan about the fact that they let riff-raff like me into their gym (I'm only slightly exagerating here - we live in a very rich neighborhood, and the only reason that I can work out at this gym is because my husband works there, so we get a free membership).

Listen lady, if you only got out of bed 10 minutes earlier, YOU could be the one using this awesome machine! If someone is using the machine I like, I pick myself up and move on to something else. It's not the end of the world. I can understand being disapointed, but since we go through this seriously every single day, you'd think she'd know better by now...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vantine wrote:
bekki wrote:

Do any of y'all wonder what the other people at the gym are saying about us? On a more serious note, fear of being judged and evaluated keeps some people from going to the gym in the first place. Just a thought. . .

Honestly, that was the start to my gym avoidance! I'm totally socially awkward and phobic and the gym seems like the place where those issues come together in a perfect storm of anxiety and panic attacks. I tried to go to a crappy rec-center type place to work out for a while but basically became paralyzed with fear and unable to do anything except for wander around and stare at equipment. I guess it worked out well for me in the end because I have gotten by way cheaper starting with free online vids and then moving onto more comprehensive programs like P90x and now Mark Lauren's body weight exercises. But yeah, I shouldn't be so weird.

I will say if I were more comfortable in my own skin and went to the gym, I would be the girl in a sports bra and shorter shorts because that's what I usually work out in at home. If I get too hot I either go into coughing fits or get migraines (or both! Yay!) so I like to wear as little as possible. Plus, clothes sometimes get my way. I do have an issue with unknown body fluids, though, so I probably would be grossed out by someone else's puddles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Not sure if this is gym etiquette exactly, but paprikapapaya's thread reminded me of this. I hate personal trainers at my gym because I think they take up too much space. I belong to two gyms- one fancy women's gym that I get cheap through work, and also belong to the YMCA. Hardly anyone at the Y works out with a trainer, but at the fancy gym during peak times there can be sometimes four or five trainers and their clients working out in the weight area and they take up so much more space that way. They also act so entitled as if they more right to equipment and space than people working out without trainers. Some of them are nice, but at my gym most of them seem to have severe attitude problems.

Also, my fancy gym won't allow me use a kettlebell without a trainer present, which means I couldn't use one without paying whatever ridic amount they charge per hour. I prefer the Y which is much freer in many ways, though the space and equipment isn't as good.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

People sitting on weight machines while texting on their cell phones is a huge pet peeve of mine - I was waiting to use a piece of equipment while a girl sat there and texted for at least 20 minutes without using the machine! I just used other machines in the meantime and waited until the end to use this one..when I had to ask her if I could use it and she moved. Still though, why go to a gym just to text people?

I also hate it when people don't wipe down their machines or wear strong perfume to the gym....there used to also be this woman who would refuse to store her coat/purse in the locker room and instead, would put her stuff down on exercise equipments that weren't being used (like a stationary bike)...obviously, people would like to use that machine but thought it was being saved! Some people do things even though there are signs everywhere to keep your belongings in the locker room, to wipe the machines down, to not wear perfume....UGH!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next