| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Cardio is making you fat!"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:01 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

A personal trainer who sometimes comes up and chats with me while I'm on the elliptical said this to me today. He tells me that it makes you more "efficient", therefore you burn less calories throughout the day, therefore it makes you fat...or something. Anyway, I found him saying that very irritating because it overlooks all the awesome benefits of cardio, the main one for me being stress relief.

So when I got home, I jumped onto google and typed in "Cardio makes you fat" and found all these ridiculous opinion pieces from personal trainers. What the eff? I want a peer reviewed study or something.

In the end, I get the benefits I want from cardio (increased lung capacity, strength and stress relief) so it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to know if this idea of cardio making a person fat holds any weight (pun not intended). I'd like to be able to tell him why it's stupid and why I'm not going to follow his unwarranted advice.

He also told me that I should stop eating oatmeal because it's bad for your blood sugar. ooookay. I'm also not going to stop eating oatmeal, so...

Post subject: Re: "Cardio is making you fat!"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oatmeal doesn't spike your blood sugar unless maybe you're adding a lot of sugar.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/19214 ... d-glucose/

Cardio making you fat is even more absurd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Sounds pretty rude to me. The only thing that matters is being healthy and meeting your personal goals. If your routines are enabling you to meet your goals AND you like it!! WIN!!

If you want to talk to this guy just emphasize that YOUR goals are being met and it works for YOU. Thank you very much!!!!

If your not progressing toward your goals, that is a different conversation, but you sound happy with your routine. WIN!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If I remember I'll ask around tomorrow and see if I can at least find what journals you could start looking into.

eta: I've read the same thing, but also from people selling stuff. But I love strength training and hate cardio anyway, so I've not bothered to check into it. I do loooove my oatmeal for breakfast, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Don't give the trainer the satisfaction of you looking for journals. Don't waste your time researching someone else's bullshiitake. If they want you to believe something, it's their job to prove it to you, not your job to prove them wrong.

Also, the oatmeal thing is BS and you don't really need to worry about your blood sugar spiking unless you're diabetic. So basically, just keep up the exercise and ignore the idiots!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

paprikapapaya wrote:
So when I got home, I jumped onto google and typed in "Cardio makes you fat" and found all these ridiculous opinion pieces from personal trainers. What the eff? I want a peer reviewed study or something.

Here is an post from Sweat Science discussing "A new study in the American Journal of Physiology [that] revisits a very familiar topic — cardio versus weights — to determine which is better for reducing dangerous visceral and liver fat"

Here is another related post from Sweat Science. This one refers to an article from the Los Angeles Times, and the American College of Sports Medicine position on weight loss.

I'm assuming that this personal trainer is implying that you should be doing resistance training instead of cardio. Both links focus on comparing the effectiveness of cardio to that of resistance training for the purposes of weight loss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

broseph wrote:

Here is an post from Sweat Science discussing "A new study in the American Journal of Physiology [that] revisits a very familiar topic — cardio versus weights — to determine which is better for reducing dangerous visceral and liver fat"

Here is another related post from Sweat Science. This one refers to an article from the Los Angeles Times, and the American College of Sports Medicine position on weight loss.

I'm assuming that this personal trainer is implying that you should be doing resistance training instead of cardio. Both links focus on comparing the effectiveness of cardio to that of resistance training for the purposes of weight loss.

Thanks for sharing these, it's good to see science behind this. I've been skeptical about the miracle claims of resistance training and I'm glad to see that the cardio I force myself to do is worthwhile, especially since I seem to be at a higher risk for keeping visceral fat around. This is a good push to remind me that C25K I'm working really matters-I don't care if I never get super thin, but I would like to make sure my organs are healthy. Resistance still makes me happiest, though.

Anyway, the trainer sounds like a jackass and I think that if you're exercising and happy with your routine that's the most important thing. There is more than one path to healthy and it's frustrating when people are convinced theirs is the only way. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

In addition to this, the benefits of exercise exist even in the absence of weight loss.

Do what you love. It's most important that you exercise, not what is giving you the fastest results.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm reading "The Female Body Breakthrough" right now, and it definitely is anti-cardio. Well, anti-prolonged cardio, pro interval training, pro-pro-pro resistance training.
I hate cardio intensely, so I am biased to believe it.

I like strength training because I finally have a butt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

There are a lot of positives to interval and resistance training for sure. It's just forked up to tell someone they shouldn't do cardio because it'll make them fat because you're assuming weight loss is the primary goal and you're also wrong.

Heh, it sounds like I'm directing that at you Ponypal, but I just mean it generally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:12 am 

My reasons for going to the gym actually have nothing with weight loss. It's funny because I just posted about my experience with another personal trainer assuming I was there to lose weight in the body shaming thread.
But really, trying to tell someone not to do cardio is absurd. There's so many benefits of it and those are what I'm after!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'll bet if he saw you doing strength training he'd tell you need to add cardio to your routine. Pushy trainers at the gym are annoying.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This is hilarious for so many reasons. If you were on the elliptical eating a bag of Oreos, then I'd say, yeah, that might 'make you fat.' Otherwise, you're exercising, and that's great!

Also agree about exercising because it's good for you, not to 'lose weight' or whatever. Resistance training is good. Weights are good. Cardio is good. Too much of anything is bad.

He may have been trying to get you to sign up for sessions though. The trainer I use is kind of like that.

OH, and like, not that he isn't being paid by Quaker, Bob Harper is ALL about the oatmeal, and he's probably one of the most famous trainers, like ever, right? I think it's important to balance oatmeal with a little protein and fat, but oatmeal in and of itself is not bad. If you're not eating it by the gallon with cups of maple syrup or something, I'm sure you're going to be fine.

I'm sorry to be ranty, but this is just pissing me off. I wish people would a: use common sense and b: leave other people alone. Who is he to judge how you look? And then force his own insecurities or perceived definitions of 'normal weight' on you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:27 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

paprikapapaya wrote:
My reasons for going to the gym actually have nothing with weight loss. It's funny because I just posted about my experience with another personal trainer assuming I was there to lose weight in the body shaming thread.
But really, trying to tell someone not to do cardio is absurd. There's so many benefits of it and those are what I'm after!

PP, I am so glad I don't have to go to your gym!!

I can't imagine that cardio makes you fat? I want my body to be more efficient, I can't imagine that being a bad thing. Also, like you, I need cardio to help me stay healthy mentally because it relieves my anxiety and curtails my mood swings.

I think that mixing up cardio with other types of workout is definitely the best way to go and is what I do but, seriously, something is better than nothing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I used to go to one of those cheap, month to month gyms...and it was full of trainers trying to sell themselves to people. That drove me nuts. If I have my headphones on and I am running, I don't want to talk to you about my workout. If I want to talk to you or am interested in your services, I will approach YOU.

Now I belong to the Y and although they have 2 trainers they are making the same money whether they have 2 people in training or 200 so they don't push anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:39 am 

Yeah the trainers at my gym are SO pushy. This guy comes up and talks to me when I've got my big headphones on and am visibly sweating/panting from working out. And then after he interrupts me, he has the gall to tell me what I'm doing is wrong, what I'm eating is wrong and just generally try to fill me with doubt - to make me feel like I require his services.

So basically, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, because I get the results I want and it makes me feel good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:02 pm 
Human Gravy

I had a trainer basically tell me that cardio was making me "melt"--meaning I was losing fat, but not building muscle and that I am thin enough, so I should do weight training (with a trainer, of course).

I with karichelle. They're just trying to convince you that you don't know what your doing so they can sell you sessions with a trainer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm 
And you never will.

paprikapapaya wrote:
So basically, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, because I get the results I want and it makes me feel good.

This is the key, and you are the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

poopiebitch wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

This is the key, and you are the best.
Do you enjoy it? I really like doing cardio because, although it looks like I'm exercising, I'm actually having a little one-person disco on the cross-trainer dancing to Ke$ha mashups and Backstreet Boys. And no personal trainer is going to take that away from me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 am 

<3 poopie

Gulliver, I really love cardio! I do the same thing as you - I've got my music cranked and I'm just blasting away all my stress, and getting my heart rate up and working up a sweat while I'm at it.
I've been at the gym several times since, doing what I do, and he hasn't come and tried to scare me into thinking I need personal training again. Whatta douche.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:41 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Personal trainers are the priest caste of the body obsessed. I have no idea why anyone pays those people anything.

I know, I know, some of them are probably ok. Look: some cops are ok, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:03 am 

My best friend is a police officer and she is (mostly) ok!

My personal trainer is not body obsessed and he is ok!

Suck it, mumbles!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 am 

Hear, hear, mumbles.
My experience of personal trainers in general has been less-than-good (obvz, based on this thread). Every one of them I have spoken to seem really baffled by the fact that I don't have "workout goals" or whatever. The act of working out is my goal. I don't need to aim for a certain percentage of inches off my waist or what have you. I wanna get sweaty, pump my guns, blast my glutes, call it a day and not worry about if I did it perfectly. I have lots of muscles, stamina and feel fit, which I think is pretty awesome.

And - ahh! It bugs me how personal trainers in general use this "appeal to authority" thing. You ain't no expert in nutrition, bubs! If you were, you would know that oatmeal is good and that you're an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am 

I really hate when PT's try to talk nutrition. Like, really hate it. If I need nutritional advice I will go to someone who is trained in that area, thank you very much!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I overhear the most inane conversations between trainers and their clients at the gym, about exercises, food, etc. I really have to laugh because most of the time their advice is so lame and contrived. The thing that bugs me is that many of them exploit the insecurity that the average person has about working out, and healthy eating. there is already so much misinformation out there, that people turn to what they think is an authority.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles