| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Roller Derby!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I never had a moment of doubt cuz you are awesome! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Thanks. <3

Can't wait to start training with the intermediates !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm training 2x a week now, and I can't remember a day in the past weeks where my body didn't feel sore. But it's so great to actually be playing derby!

Also, I noticed today: I can't talk about anything else anymore. I have become one of those people who are obsessed with something they can't shut up about. Last time I had a spell of that was when I went vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:54 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hooray, I found the PPK derby girls!

My city is a starting up a league, so no try-outs or anythings. I'm joining as soon as I can get some skates.

Can anyone recommend a website to buy gear in the UK?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I used to play roller derby, but I had to quit when I got sick and still can't really go back because my joints get a bit dodgy at times and stuff. It was fun and I do miss it, though.

Nomi - I think I got most of my gear (new) off ebay. If you do a bit of research about good brands, and find out what's in your price range, it should be relatively easy to find what you need. I actually have some low-end skates I've been looking to get rid of, which are perfectly functional for fresh meat, but I have ridiculously small feet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm back into it!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:35 am 
Huffs Nooch

My oldest daughter does junior derby. She is on the travel team and was recently chosen to be captain of her local team - yay! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:32 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Awww! I remember when I was the only derby girl on the PPK, several thousand years ago, trying to figure out how a vegan could somehow find good non-leather skates, etc. It's good to see so much representation on here now!

That said, whiplash is real bisque. I was injured in a bout back in 2006, and I still periodically feel repercussions from it.

My best advice? Always wear gear when on skates. It sounds like a silly thing to say, but the majority of long lasting injuries in my league happened when girls were on skates (free skate nights, fundraisers, whathaveyou) without knee/wrist pads.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

there must have been a demand, because it was super easy for me to find non-leather skates a few months ago, i was surprised at the options i had. that was one of the things i was worried about too, before i started. radar even has tofu roller wheels that are partially soy based, haha. i want them, but they are 78a and i already have some and am not particularly fond of that hardness.

i've been asked to ref for the league i skate for, but i really want to start playing as well. i've only been skating a few months, and was okay shadowing OPRs while i learned how to skate, but now i'm at the point where i feel like i could handle contact. not sure how to make the transition. maybe ask to start skating in contact drills and show the team i have skills now?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:48 am 
Impressive boner

NomiMalone wrote:
Hooray, I found the PPK derby girls!

My city is a starting up a league, so no try-outs or anythings. I'm joining as soon as I can get some skates.

Can anyone recommend a website to buy gear in the UK?

Have you found a gear website? If not, what are you looking for specifically?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

postnothing wrote:
there must have been a demand, because it was super easy for me to find non-leather skates a few months ago, i was surprised at the options i had. that was one of the things i was worried about too, before i started. radar even has tofu roller wheels that are partially soy based, haha. i want them, but they are 78a and i already have some and am not particularly fond of that hardness.

Back in my day *shakes cane*, we had R3s and we hated them! And then I managed to find a Lorica speed boot, but this was in a time before Riedell offered non-leather options.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

i have synthetic dominion boots, not sure how popular that brand is outside the shop my friend runs, because i'd never heard of them. they were uncomfortable breaking in (i lost toenails! thankfully they are back now), but i also didn't have soft enough cushions so my feet were rotating slightly inside the skate as well, which i think contributed. i've been having no problems with upgraded cushions, so i'm not entirely sure if it was boot or truck action that was torturing me.