| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does your protein powder make you stanky?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:47 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've been working out this summer and to soothe the impact on my muscles and help them rebuild, I have been taking protein powder after the heavy weight-lifting sessions. Just mixed with water or almond milk, and sometimes having it in my yogurt in the mornings. So maybe 4 times a week in total.

After a few weeks, I started to notice that I'm more smelly when I sweat now. I smell like a weed smoker.

It is a hemp protein powder, so I guess that makes sense.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Post subject: Re: Does your protein powder make you stanky?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ha ha! I wish. I drink 2 shakes a day of hemp-based protein powder and haven't smelled anything worse than my normal bad smell. Would be fun to smell like the good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:34 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

haha, I guess that's one way of looking at it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Amsterdamaged wrote:
I've been working out this summer and to soothe the impact on my muscles and help them rebuild, I have been taking protein powder after the heavy weight-lifting sessions.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Yes. I've been working out too and even though I don't use protein powder, I do notice that my sweat started to smell differently.

So I think it's the exercise that changes something (hormones?) and not the protein powder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Aaaahh sooo.

Guess it's worth it, right?
No pain, no gain.
No smell, no hell. (Does that even make sense? I don't think so.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Amsterdamaged wrote:
After a few weeks, I started to notice that I'm more smelly when I sweat now. I smell like a weed smoker.
Not that I'm pretending I don't know what weed smells like, but different people smell things differently. Would you describe your sweat as smelling like ammonia? That can be a sign that you are working yourself into hypoglycaemia and you're body is processing protein for energy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:39 am 
Impressive boner

When I used to eat a lot a protein my sweat did start to smell of weed, but I was using soy protein rather than hemp. Sometimes now my sweat smells of ammonia.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Gulliver wrote:
Amsterdamaged wrote:
Not that I'm pretending I don't know what weed smells like, but different people smell things differently. Would you describe your sweat as smelling like ammonia? That can be a sign that you are working yourself into hypoglycaemia and you're body is processing protein for energy.

Whoa, what?! Hold on, back up. Really?
I don't *think* that it smelled like ammonia, but I'll certainly be paying closer attention from now on! Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

Well the answer to this is absolutely YES ... hemp protein powder makes you smell like a serious stoner. I just realized this as I was
confronted by a few office mates, (luckily in a joking way). They said the smell was so strong, that they followed it down the hallway and they wanted to see which client of ours was the pot head ... it led to my office. They said the smell was obviously and unmistakably weed.

I guess I'm going to try to use about half of what I have been using, because I love the stuff. Then, maybe incorporate mint? I really can't smell it on myself ... most of us have olfactory fatigue when it comes to our own smell.

For some people this is a problem ... the smell at a work place gives rise to suspicion, and it only takes one brown-noser to make it a political issue. Obviously, its not getting you high, but once the spotlight is upon you, and that smell ... well you get office politics. Guilty until proven innocent. Some workplaces ... it won't matter.

If anybody has any ideas, how to mask the smell with another or anything, I would love to hear them.