| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Giving up Training to Train????
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:49 am 
Nailed to the V

So I really want to get certified as a personal trainer (and spinning instructor) and it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I already train a lot of my friends for free (and they've told me once I get certified, they're happy to pay, and refer me to lots of their friends) and all my trainer friends have told me it's a good direction for me to go down.

Problem is, training courses here are really expensive (like, prohibitively so...even on payments, it means spending on nothing fun for....a long time) and there are two places in the city I live in that offer the course. One is in the mornings only, which is 100% a non-option, because I can't be quitting my 9-5 (not right now anyway) to do this, and the other is 3 days a week, two evenings and Friday (which is a day off) I'm hesitating, because of course the two weeknights, are the nights of my two favorite spin classes, with teachers who only teach that one night a week at the studio I go to.

So here's the thing..I'm hesitating, since I will be really heartbroken to miss those spin classes for 3 months (the length of the course) but on the other hand, I REALLY want to be a trainer, and it seems like this might be the only option.

ARGGHHHH. Someone give me a suggestion, or make me feel better about this?

Post subject: Re: Giving up Training to Train????
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Three months isn't that long -especially if you're pursuing something you really want to do!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are there any places out of the city but that you could still get to that offer similar courses at a more convenient time (and/or cheaper cost)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think your long-term goal is more important than going to those classes for three months.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

The best teachers are students first. Continue to learn by DOING and you will have much to offer in terms of practical knowledge. Trainings are ways for studios to make money and stay open, do they actually produce good teachers? That is seriously up for debate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:25 am 
Nailed to the V

Unfortunately a program outside of the city isn't really an option. The only one that's any better schedule-wise, is a solid two hours away on public transportation (I don't have a car) and not only isn't cheaper...but adds a bunch in public transportation costs.

A friend suggested ACSM, which you can do online, and then take the test on a certified computer in Jerusalem. problem is the ministry of sport here told me once before they don't look kindly on distance certifications. That may mean I can't use it at a gym...although on the other hand, if I want to work with private Anglo clients (which is essentially my aim) they probably won't care.

I also want to teach spinning, and all the programs here require you're first a personal trainer before you register for the spinning course. So I think my next step is to see if they'll accept the ACSM cert. for entrance to the spinning course (which, at least, is cheaper and less time-sucking than the full course) and then I may be on my way...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

So I discovered there is one official Master Trainer with Mad Dogg Spinning in Israel, and she's running a teacher certification course in March. It means taking 3 days off work, but isn't in the evenings, and in a little over a month, I'll be a certified spinning teacher and can teach here! Hooray!!!

I'm working on doing a distance group instructor cert as well...so I'll have both and can work with clients and in gyms. With the spinning course that's actually in Israel, and a distance course, but one where the final exam is administered here in Jerusalem, I'm told I'll be hirable, and I can do the private thing, and it's altogether way cheaper and les time heavy than the original courses that were suggested to me.

So excited!