| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting back up w/workingout soreness
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I recently started working out again, and am currently sore all over. I don't think I over did it the past few days, but my body feels like I am bruised all over especially my torso/core.

Do folks usually feel really tender after starting back into things? Debating if it is best to give it a rest or just go easy the next few days. I know core injuries can throw off the balance for most other work outs.

Anyone else experience this? or trying to start back into a work out routine?

Post subject: Re: Starting back up w/workingout soreness
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Take a day of rest then do light sets the day after. Stretch, foam roll, drink lots of water. Epsom salt baths are good too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

There is actually a name for this...DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's certainly OK to feel some muscle soreness after working out, but you can also overdue it. I agree with fupapack- take a day off, stay hydrated, etc. I think the more you work out, the easier it will be to tell if it's a "good" soreness, or if you overdid it.

For me, if I feel soreness in the muscle groups I worked but can still function pretty normally without being reminded every step that I worked out, I'm in a good place. If everything hurts with every move I make, I overdid it, and scale back accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:47 am 

That makes sense, I think because this workout seems to always have a few core reps (and I am convinced I've never used some of these muscles before) that it might be doms but because you use your core a bit for say getting up/sitting up/rolling over I am noticing it a lot more than I typically would in my arms or legs which I use more frequently and are likely stronger.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am 
BAD PASS

Oh man, this is timely. I stopped doing Insanity when Violet got sick a few weeks before Thanksgiving because I just couldn't make myself care enough to do it. Last Tuesday I decided to get back to working out and did the very first workout of 21 Day Fix and I was super sore until Saturday! I was like, "oh jeez, what is WRONG with me?!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:08 pm 

Yes!! I don't remember being this sore before, but my last 30 day routine was strength building vs fat burning so it had less ab based reps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:14 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Tenacious LD wrote:
For me, if I feel soreness in the muscle groups I worked but can still function pretty normally without being reminded every step that I worked out, I'm in a good place. If everything hurts with every move I make, I overdid it, and scale back accordingly.

This is great advice. I also figure out if the soreness is interfering with my enjoyment of the activity as a barometer - if so, it's time to cut back the intensity! I will say it's amazing how quickly you can figure out which muscle groups are unaccustomed to a particular level of activity.

In addition to the excellent suggestions from fupapack, judicious use of an NSAID like naproxen over a few days to address inflammation might help your recovery time too. I'm sure you are already watchful of this, but be sure that you're not consistently overdoing it and using NSAIDs to compensate (I've heard some runners refer to ibuoprofin as "vitamin I." Obviously, that's no good.) I hope you are feeling better today, B_A_D and Hollie!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Re-iterating TLD's excellent advice.

Also, as a side-note related to Hollie's anecdote. . . I have yet to try anything by Beach Body without reaching this "way too forking sore" level of soreness. That shiitake's hardcore.