| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I love it when butterfly kicks in. It's my favorite stroke, but I'm not often strong to do more than 8-10 of it at a time. Maybe once I managed a full 50m swim? Anyway, the last time we were at my favoritest ever lake (2 weeks ago; just before I sliced my foot which is still recovering...) I did such deliciously full/high butterfly strokes. I love how strong it makes me feel, and how the water glides over my skin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 am 
Saggy Butt

I've never actually learned the butterfly but I tried it once for a few laps. I felt like i was drowning! And it was really obvious that my right arm is stronger than my left. I wish I could do it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:24 am 
Dead by dawn

I did one length on butterfly in high school once. It was awesome! Everything just fell into place and I thought I'd finally learned how to do it. Then I turned around at the wall and it was gone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:30 am 
Saggy Butt

Hi swimmers! How's everyone?
I feel like a legit swimmer finally because I've just worn through my first sport swimsuit! I'm back at the pool twice a week now that summer is over. It's great but I can tell I've lost some fitness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thread resurrection!

I've rediscovered my deep love of water in the last couple of years, and am now living in an apartment with several pools. I've been going 5-6 days a week for the last two months, and finally realized that this is my happy place, and somewhere I will actually *want* to exercise. I've been able to swim (as in the not-drowning, get from point A to point B, no form whatsoever kind) for most of my life, but I've never taken a lesson.

I've been watching youtube tutorials on form and breathing, and have been able to pick a couple of things up, but the breathing has got me completely stumped. I think I'm in the correct position, but every time I lift the side of my head out of the water to take a breath, a sheet of water falls into my mouth and tries to drown me. I'm clearly doing something wrong, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I don't know how to fix it. I think I'm just going to suck it up and take some lessons soon.

Question: would I be required to have a specific type of suit, even if it's just a few lessons? I've just been swimming in my two-piece, since it's the best fitting suit I've ever had.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:13 pm 
Dead by dawn

Two of my tri coaches give swimming lessons both at a private gym and public pool. Both pools require a bathing suit (versus swimming in clothes, which I guess is something people do) but not a particular type of suit. Some of my teammates do team swims in two pieces (athletic style, not like string bikinis, but two pieces nonetheless.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Are there any open water / sea water swimmers here? I have new goggles which I have only used in the fjord (uhh....sound in English, so slightly salty) and after 3 weeks they are already fogging up badly. I wash them with fresh water as soon as I'm home, and let them air dry. Is there anything else I should(n't) do to them? They're Speedo racers and I'm at a complete loss.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I didn't know we had a swimming thread. I'm starting (private) swimming lessons on Tuesday. I can swim recreationally, but don't know proper form. I'm hoping I can find somewhere to swim (the lessons are from a company that just does lessons and uses a Catholic School pool) and that it will help my back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:08 pm 
WRETCHED

I joined a new gym, they don't open for a month or so but they have indoor and outdoor swimming pools (outdoor is summer only so not this year).

LW, do you have a pool rec center somewhere near you? Our county operates multiple swimming pools and the fees are pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No, unfortunately. And sadly the marine base doesn't have one. There are a few chain gyms.

The county I work in charges $800/year!! Or $10 day passes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5