| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:55 am 
WELFARIST!

Started doing the full butterfly last night in swimming class. I've done it before (incorrectly--the right arms and frog kicking the legs instead of dolphin kicking as is proper butterfly form). But anyway, I need to coordinate my kicks and arm movements better and I felt I wasn't getting much lift on the up and forward stroke but the other folks in my class watching me told me I was coming out of the water nice and high. Didn't feel like it to me though! I was just getting enough lift to get a breath though which I guess is the main thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

That's impressive, sv! I have done exactly one length of passable butterfly ever... it was amazing. Everything just clicked into place and I felt like I finally had it, until I turned at the wall and it was gone...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 am 
WELFARIST!

monkeytoes wrote:
That's impressive, sv! I have done exactly one length of passable butterfly ever... it was amazing. Everything just clicked into place and I felt like I finally had it, until I turned at the wall and it was gone...

We didn't practice it this week though before class started, I was flailing about in one empty corner of the pool attempting my butterfly stroke. It's super splashy. Like, choppy waters in my wake and radiating out in every direction. Half the water flies out of the pool when I'm butterflyin'. I don't have a lot of control over the stroke yet but I think I've kind of got the rhythm and the motions I just need to practice and refine.

Last night, we worked on cutting down our strokes per lap and gliding more with every stroke, kicking and pulling everything together and counting how many strokes it took us to cover 25 m (half the pool - because other lessons are going on in the other half so we rarely get to swim the full 50 m) in front and back crawl and breast stroke. We tread water for five minutes. One poor girl really struggled with that and half-drowned for five minutes. Treading water with her head...underwater half the time? We were doing it in shallow enough water so our feet could touch if we needed so she was all right--I almost think it was just her technique because she didn't seem to be struggling--she was chill throughout. The rest of us were fine. We also did eggbeater legs. I think we're going to start doing flip turns at the wall next week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I am having trouble finding a bathing suit that fits properly. I am fairly rectangular, leaning toward triangular with broader shoulders and chest (because of the swimming) than hips, maybe 36 chest and 34 hips (haven't measured in a while). I find most suits that fit in the butt are too tight in the chest and vice versa. Any recommendations?

Speedo is out for sure - I have never found one that fits. I have a two-year old Nike one that I like but the new Nike ones I tried did not fit. Tyr doesn't work either. The best bathing suit I ever had, which I am still wearing, I bought at Walmart of all places. Fits just right and has lasted more than a year. The seams are starting to get worn now so I am wearing the Walmart one over the Nike one as my last hope to keep swimming comfortably. I have had others that didn't fit very well but I put up with, but at $60-80 a pop I'd like to get one that feels just right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:07 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I know you said Speedo is out, but have you ever tried suits from their fitness line?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I am not sure what you mean by fitness line - like these: http://www.speedousa.com/sale/women/fit ... wear.shtml

Are they a different shape than the regular ones? When I look at their size charts my bust and waist are a size 8-10 but my hips are a size 2 - way to make me feel like a freak, Speedo ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:58 am 
Dead by dawn

Have you tried TYR suits? I'm not shaped like you at all and they fit me so they might not work, but my sister is broad shouldered and broad backed and they fit her too. So maybe? Would you consider a two piece? There are some meant-for-actual-swimming sporty two pieces out there. If tops and bottoms are sold separately (not sure if they are) that might solve your problem. I think TYR has some two pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, sorry, I should have included a link! They're cut for a little more coverage, so you don't get that side-boob thing as much. They also look like racing suits nowadays, versus a decade ago when they looked like old lady wear! But we often used that style for drag suits and they might be more what you're looking for.

It's honestly astonishing to me that ALL racing suits aren't cut to fit people with large shoulders, because isn't that basically what most swimmers look like?

If you can find two-pieces that are sold separately that might be an option too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 am 
Saggy Butt

Ugh, stupid swimsuits. My husband has heard so many rants on how uncomfortable they are. I have a hard time finding something that will fit around my hips and not be too big in the boob area. I really want a two-piece but they seem to be unacceptable pool-wear around here. The only 2piece I've seen in the sport pool was worn by this 15 year old superstar swimmer. Normally, i wouldn't bother to follow such silly unwritten rules but I'm already not so confident in a swimsuit and don't want extra attention.
Good luck, arisaig! I have a new one made by Zoggs that I don't hate, do they have that brand in N America?

eta: http://www.zoggs.com/ Seems to be British.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am 
Saggy Butt

Aaaand while I'm in here complaining...do you guys ever experience crazy sneezing and congestion after swimming? Lately, the night after my evening swims I wake up with a stuffed nose and can't stop sneezing and blowing my nose the whole next day. It feels like what I imagine an allergy attack would feel like but I don't have allergies. I've done some googling and it seems to be a not uncommon experience but it's really annoying! I've tried the solutions that have worked for others but it's still happening. And it's weird because it didn't start until a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

inceptisol, how can we have the opposite proportions and still neither can find a suit that fits? They must make them with magic.

I often get pool water stuck up in one of my sinuses - do you you think that is what's happening? I will blow my nose more often but it only comes out when it's ready so I have to stop myself from blowing too much, or worse, snorting, at work cause there are other people around me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I also feel very strongly that the newfangled polyester suits fit way worse on pretty much everyone than traditional Lycra suits!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:20 pm 
Dead by dawn

Arisaig wrote:
inceptisol, how can we have the opposite proportions and still neither can find a suit that fits? They must make them with magic.

I often get pool water stuck up in one of my sinuses - do you you think that is what's happening? I will blow my nose more often but it only comes out when it's ready so I have to stop myself from blowing too much, or worse, snorting, at work cause there are other people around me.

I breathe to the left and always end up with my left ear plugged up and pool water in my right sinus. If I bend over (like touching my toes) it will just pour out. I don't get the stuffy, sneezy effect, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:48 am 
Saggy Butt

It could be water in the sinuses. I try to make sure everything is cleared out but maybe i'm not getting it all. I've tried using a neti pot and it might have helped a little. It's so weird! I'm back to swimming tonight after the pool was closed last week for ski week (yep, Austrian kids get a week off school to go skiing) so we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:36 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

There are two public pools in my town and I'd only been at one until today. Decided to try the other one, and I loved it! Turns out it's very relaxing to exercise in a pool where no one takes their kids! Who knew?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

amonik wrote:
There are two public pools in my town and I'd only been at one until today. Decided to try the other one, and I loved it! Turns out it's very relaxing to exercise in a pool where no one takes their kids! Who knew?

Ha isn't that true! I usually go when it is only adults and swim team (separate lanes) but if I go during the open swims it is pandemonium.

Will you go back?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 pm 

The thing here is that the place I usually go to has a kiddie pool, a wave pool, water slides etc, and the place I was today only has a 50 m pool for swimming and a physical therapy pool. So no kids go there unless they're taking lessons or on a team. I'll definitely go back to this place! I'm going on Tuesday for a crawling lesson that is part of the college "health week". I've never tried crawl/freestyle swimming before, it looks like fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:26 pm 

The lesson was fun, but crawling is really difficult!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I joined a masters swim team and my first practice is tonight! I'm so nervous! I am doing the swim leg in an Olympic distance triathlon relay in September so I need to get in shape for it. My goal was to join a masters team after having my second baby so I'm glad to get the opportunity and to have something to train for.

I also discovered that they stopped making my favorite goggles in the few years since I've last swam. Bummer!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Keep at it amonik, you'll be doing it without thinking soon!

How did the practice go, mc? How exciting about the triathlon. I have never done one but I have discovered that runners and cyclist are very interested when they find out I swim too - the achilles heel of many would-be triathletes.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, practice was great! I was so nervous but the coach and the other swimmers were very nice and welcoming, and nobody was amazing which was nice. I started myself in the slowest lane and after the first set the coach moved me to the fast lane. I was nervous but I'm proud I managed to hang on and make all the intervals! Of course, after practice someone told me that it was a really easy day... but it was 3400 yards and I'm thrilled with that. It was such a good feeling to be back in the water. And it was incredible to have a whole hour and a half to myself!

Practice #2 was supposed to be tonight but husband came home from Houston feeling sick so I stayed home so he could sleep.

Arisaig, I'll bet you would be great at a triathlon! I guess it makes sense that most triathletes are weakest at swimming -- it's not quite as accessible of a sport as running and biking. I'd like to do a full one myself but I'm not sure I can commit myself to three sports at the moment!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

So did you go to more? It's great that your first experience was so positive.

mandycoot wrote:
I'd like to do a full one myself but I'm not sure I can commit myself to three sports at the moment!

That's my problem, too. My youngest will be finished high school in 3 years and that is probably the earliest I will be able to do triathlon training.

I finally bought a new bathing suit, just threw in the towel and bought the least bad one I could find, a TYR. It still does not fit right but it covers up what is necessary to cover and feels fine in the water. The bum is too big so the shoulders and length will fit but the boob part is still too big too somehow? I don't know. The only thing that really matters is that I don't think about it (i.e. it doesn't bug me) while I am swimming. I don't like the high cut legs out of the water but while swimming I like the feel of not having the bathing suit around the tops of my thighs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Update! I've been swimming about 3.5 months now, practicing for 1.5 hours 2-3 times a week with the masters' team. I'm finally to the point where I'm feeling really strong and my stroke has really come back together and feels natural without really thinking about it. Last Thursday was my first practice breaking 5000 yards, which was a nice milestone. It's exciting to be back in the water again. My triathlon relay leg is on September 1, and I have to figure out what I want to do after that. Our masters' program is expanding (and getting more expensive, sigh) so I'm hoping there might be some competition opportunities in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:24 am 
Tofu Pup

this is good exercise to keep our body in shape. this exercise help to loss weight in short time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Wow mandycoot, that's amazing!How long is your triathlon leg?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next