| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: swimming
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
Dead by dawn

I just registered myself for a 2.4 mile lake swim! I'm not sure why!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I got back into the pool on Monday for a workout for the first time in, like, 2 years. I forgot how good of a workout it is, I don't think I've ever done it while out of shape. I'm at a summer academic program and the pool is free, so I'm probably going to be doing a lot of that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi all! New to the site. New to veganism and loving it. (Why didn't I do this years ago? Because, I bought into the way I'd been raised. I digress!) Doing this journey with my teen daughter. She is a USA competitive swimmer logging 2-3 hours in the pool on top of high school and cross training. With the change in our diet, I want to ensure she's getting the best sustainable energy for her training. We've determined beans can not be in the meal right before the workout! Any thoughts? So far, baked potatoes and corn based pasta have been our go-to's...We're also gluten free. Thanks for your thoughts!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:09 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I agree that swimming is excellent exercise. I run 3x per week (3-5 miles each time) and bike 3x per week (12-15 miles each time). I swim 2x per week, for about 30-45 minutes. On my swim days, I am much more tired and feel like I got a much more intense workout!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Kerilyn wrote:
Hi all! New to the site. New to veganism and loving it. (Why didn't I do this years ago? Because, I bought into the way I'd been raised. I digress!) Doing this journey with my teen daughter. She is a USA competitive swimmer logging 2-3 hours in the pool on top of high school and cross training. With the change in our diet, I want to ensure she's getting the best sustainable energy for her training. We've determined beans can not be in the meal right before the workout! Any thoughts? So far, baked potatoes and corn based pasta have been our go-to's...We're also gluten free. Thanks for your thoughts!

Whoa. Your daughter's training sounds intense. Anyway, I'm definitely not an expert on nutrition or anything, but here are some resources you might want to check out-
.Here's Mike Mahler's "Power Vegan Meals For Hard Training Athletes"
.Here's an article by Mac Danzig about what he eats
.and I haven't read either of these books, but I know people who said they got a lot out of Thrive by Brendan Brazier and I've read some positive reviews for Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just started swimming a few weeks back, and I have never been a swimmer before - of course I can swim, but I've never done it as a workout before. I am currently doing it 2 x week and working my way up to 1km. I am going to try using the infrared sauna today for the first time! It's exciting. For some reason, swimming really de-stresses me.

Anyway, just wanted to check in so I can share my progress with someone!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi smoothie, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying swimming! I run too and while both are de-stressors I find swimming more calming. I love being in the water and the rhythmic nature of swimming.

Here's a question for any other regular swimmers: I often get water stuck up in my sinuses while swimming and it is hard to get it out. I have tried flushing with a nasal rinse thingie but that seems to make it worse. Any advice? I blow my nose and it refuses to budge until a few hours have passed, which is very annoying if I swim just before work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am 
Dead by dawn

Hmm, I have no solid answer for you. When I swim I get water in my left ear and my right maxillary sinus. I have to jump around to clear my ear, but water just gushes out my nose if I bend over so the sinus empties easily. I may be dealing with less water than you, though, because it's not annoying. I don't even know it's ther until i bend over to pick something up and a stream of water comes out. (That part's annoying.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Could you get one of those nose clips? I've never used one so I can't recommend them.

I get water in my left ear too. Never my right one!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I tried a nose clip and quickly learned I breathe in through both my mouth and my nose when I surface :-) I will do some more searching. I didn't have this problem when I was younger but I was away from swimming for a long time and I suppose my sinuses have aged like the rest of me.

I use a silicon ear plug in my left ear. I had a weird inner ear thing a few years ago and since then it gives me trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

swam in my first master's meet on Saturday!! i did not quite as good as i wanted... (short course) 500fr: 6:37, 200fr: 2:33, 100fr: 1:09.05. i also swam exhibition in a 200fr relay w/ the other 3ppl i went to the meet w/ (two men, two women! what a shame we didn't think to sign up for one before!) and think i swam a killer 50-- bc my heart felt like it was about to beat out of its chest-- but didn't get the split :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Glad to see this thread! I just signed up for coached swim classes starting in 2 weeks. I'm excited and terrified! I grew up on a lake and am comfortable in the water but only know how to swim enough to not drown, i never really learned how to properly swim or any technique. I had to buy a bathing suit this weekend and forgot how frickin uncomfortable one piece suits are.

That sounds awesome, chouettes!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I want to be a swimmer! I had a pool work out a couple of weeks ago. Very basic as I haven't learned proper technique. My issue was that I got a rash on the inner corners of my eyelids. I think it was from the goggles.
http://www.citysports.com/Aqua-Sphere-Kaiman-Google---Womens/200770/Product

Anyone else have this issue?

I have water shoes coming today, so I'm going to try doing some running in the water until I figure out what's going on with the goggles. (And I'm going to do some research on either taking lessons and watch form videos.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Aqua Sphere makes THE BEST goggles!! Easy to adjust, fits my face, totally nerdier than the much cooler speedo and tyr goggles but who cares! I'm onto my second pair as my first started leaking after a year of heavy use. Having a good pair of comfy goggles that doesn't squeeze my face yet doesn't leak makes all the difference in how well I swim!

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Sphere-Kayen ... im+goggles

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So you never got a rash from them, serafinaemily?

Also--hooray! I found a swim class at the Y that seems well suited to me, and is not prohibitively expensive. It's right in the middle of the current session though, so I need to remember to check back mid-April!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Nope never got a rash! Maybe you're sensitive to something in the rubber? I've tried so many pairs of goggles and the Aqua Sphere brand was the only one that really worked for me. It's annoying that you can't test drive goggles! They all fit and wear so differently.

I found the other brands to have to be so tight as to leave marks on my face so they wouldn't leak which was pretty uncomfortable.

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for the aquasphere recommendation, I'll have to order some. I have been using Speedos but they occasionally leak and they leave a mark on my face that is *usually* gone by the time I get to work, though I may look a bit goggly on the bus.

I figured out most of my water up the nose problem! When I first got to my lane I would sit on the side of the pool and put on my cap and goggles, then launch myself joyously into the water, forcing water up my nose, I presume. Since I changed to slipping gently into the water I don't have nearly as bad a problem with getting the extra water out of my nose when I am done :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 am 
Chip Strong

This is a weird question but I saw this thread and thought maybe you guys would know the answer. I am 35 and I can't swim. My parents never got me lessons, we didn't have a pool, and I've never enjoyed the beach much because I am a super pale burny ginger. Sometimes I think I should learn to swim, though. However, I wear glasses and my eyesight without them is very very bad. I do not wear contacts. How do people who wear glasses swim? My only theoretical answers to this are swim somewhat blindly - which would maybe be ok for some people, but not for me as my eyesight is quite bad - or order like prescription goggles? Which seems sort of excessive just to learn to swim.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

While I use my contacts and good goggles over them when I swim, when I was seriously swimming (and sometimes wearing my glasses) i also purchased prescription swim goggles. i can't locate them now to tell you the brand name but they exist, and are super cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm 
Dead by dawn

You can get vision correction goggles which aren't super expensive. I'm almost positive that I bought mine (years ago) from swim outlet but I don't remember what kind. They were ones where you could buy each lens separately if your prescription varied between eyes, then you bought a connector kit with the nose piece and the strap. I don't see that they have that type, but they have a bunch to choose from and they're really not pricier than regular goggles. I normally swim with my contacts and a pair of Speedo Vanquishers, because those fit me really well. They have prescription Vanquishers on sale right now for less than I've paid for non-prescription, so I dunno... doesn't seem like they're really excessive even just for learning. You'd want a pair of goggles one way or the other.

Edit: check that, they do have the type where you can buy two separate lenses. More expensive, but useful if your prescription is far apart. Mine's close enough to the same that I'd probably opt for a cheaper pair if I were in the market again. Actually... I might take advantage of that sale price and pick up a pair of Vanquishers just to have around in case I have contact issues or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm 
Chip Strong

oh my gosh they are way less expensive than i imagined they would be. i just somehow assumed the prices would be exorbitant. i have to find my rx... i think my eyes might be different enough to necessitate getting 2 different rx lenses. thanks ppkers! you guys know everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My eyes are not too bad (-3.75 I think, with a strong astigmatism). I wear my glasses out onto the pool deck and take a hard glasses case with me. When I get to my lane I put the glasses in the case, leave the case on the raised pool edge and put my (clear) goggles on. I can see the black line on the bottom and anyone coming toward me. When I wore contacts I usually wore my goggles over contacts.

I think if I was learning to swim I would either wear contacts with goggles or prescription goggles because you do need to be able to see the instructor and your surroundings. When you swim laps you usually only need to be able to see the black line and any other bodies that happen to be in your lane :-).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:30 am 
Chard Martyr

Arisaig wrote:
My eyes are not too bad (-3.75 I think, with a strong astigmatism). I wear my glasses out onto the pool deck and take a hard glasses case with me. When I get to my lane I put the glasses in the case, leave the case on the raised pool edge and put my (clear) goggles on. I can see the black line on the bottom and anyone coming toward me. When I wore contacts I usually wore my goggles over contacts.

That inspires me! My eyes are -2.50 and I am terrified to swim without my contacts, but I guess I only really need to see that black line and other people, and it might even help me become a better swimmer (I love it but I'm not very good at all!) to live in a blurry world.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am 
Dead by dawn

I'm only -3.00 but I still wouldn't choose to swim uncorrected. It's not the swimming itself, but I find it disorienting to not be able to see the faces of other people in the room, not be able to read the clock, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh yeah, it definitely depends on your comfort level.

I don't swim for speed so I don't need to see the timing clock and the regular clock they have is bright red and enormous so I can see it without my glasses (probably because we have so many seniors at our pool). I also almost always swim when it is lanes only, so not much going on around me to worry about and I very rarely have to share a lane, even.

I have been forgettting to take my magnesium and this morning I had foot cramps twice. My foot seems to just seize up, so for a while I kicked that leg with the foot flopping around, a new style.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next