| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie workout videos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My partner and I decided we want to start exercising more and do some basic workouts. We have very little experience with working out, and very little strength, so we have a lot to learn. I've been looking for good instruction videos on youtube. I found some which I like, but we can always use more! I look for short basic exercises that don't assume any previous training. Some body-positivity is appreciated too (so no talk about bat-wings, flabby butt etc.)

Here's what I got so far:
Five minute arm/shoulder workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTGBFlB1fEI
Five minute arm workout with weights/dumbbells (and kitty!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI77ZDvnlgc
Learning to do push-ups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiFdfDBY77g
How to do squats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI

Post subject: Re: Newbie workout videos
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 am 
So Totally Yiffy

No actual suggestions, but definitely check out grokker.com. Its a free website with a ton of yoga and fitness videos.

I have also been doing Vibrant Vegan's 30 day core conditioning challenge. http://www.vibrantvegan.com/free-ab-workout-programs.html The website is a little overwhelming, but basically there are 6 core workouts that get progressively harder, and you do each one for 5 days. I'm only on day 4, but my core is my biggest weakness and I have been able to get through it with the modifications they give. And the best part is there are no crunches involved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't have any specific videos to recommend, but I recently stumbled across FitnessBlender and really like their videos. They seem to put a lot of focus on form. They have all kinds of videos but the only ones I've tried so far is the squat challenge and one of the 1000 calorie workouts.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I HATE exercising but have really been enjoying the "Let's Dance" game on the Wii (maybe for other systems, too, I'm not sure). Actually I think XBox has a similar series called Dance Central or something like that. Anyway, it's fun and gives me a really good cardio workout without feeling like "work." Recommended if you might be looking for something in addition to the standard gym-type workout.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks guys, I'll check out all the videos! After two weeks we are already noticing some improvement. We went from planking 30 seconds to nearly 2 minutes. We're almost ready to upgrade our arm workout dumbbells from one pound to two pounds. I started with 30 crunches and can now do 70. Also starting to see some increased muscle definition on our arms, belly and back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:21 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

livestrong.com has a program called Stronger. it's an 8 week program with at least 6 different videos to get you through the week. I really liked them. They are body weight exercises, serious calorie burners, great strength workouts, great cardio. based on my 5'5 160# (and whatever other data they have) they calculate that I burn about 400 calories in the half hour videos. I just got to the second half of the program where they make it more difficult, it was insane and i'm not at all ready for it (one legged burpees?!?!?), but at least the first round is good!