| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Backpacking! Thru-Hiking! Let's talk about it here!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:59 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My hiking partner was/is faster and generally put himself behind me in order to not get ahead by miles. It worked for us but may not for you? He could try that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm tall (6') but my husband is taller (6'6"). He goes a lot faster than I do, especially when there are technical sections (I have somewhat off balance from a foot injury a few years ago. It's not TERRIBLE, but it slows me down). He often gets ahead of me but stops every so often and takes a break and waits for me to catch up. He's usually within earshot though. When I try to keep up with him I just get tired, so this system seems to work for us.

None of this is at all helpful for dog herding. I just wanted to say that I feel you on having a difference pace than your hiking partner!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

Nick and I are the same height, but he's faster than me on switchbacks and steep technical sections since he's also a trail runner. Similar to other posters, either I am ahead and set the pace or he hikes ahead and stops to wait for me to catch up. The second can be frustrating though because he'll have had a break and be ready to go when I get there and need to catch my breath. That does keep me from resting too long but jesus, some of these trails require a longer break than thirty seconds.

No advice about a herder, but something I'll be interested in since someday we hope to adopt a cattle dog.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I am 5' 2'', so pretty much everyone is faster than I am. Life partner is 6' tall. There have definitely been some times when I feel inadequate, but I've come to the conclusion I just have to deal and make him wait if he needs to wait. If I'm constantly hurrying, I get tired and grumpy and don't have any fun.

Also, missdelaney, can I recommend Reynold's Creek Trail?! The pass it crosses through has one of my favorite views in the N Cascades, but last time I was up there it really seemed like they were letting the trail go. I want more people to do the hike so it stays passable : (

All of the trails up the Twisp River Road are great and not as commonly used as a lot of the trails in the Cascades.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Pastabake, that's a really good reminder: "I just have to deal and make him wait if he needs to wait. If I'm constantly hurrying, I get tired and grumpy and don't have any fun." I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I'll put that hike on my list! I'm forever looking for different hikes to do, and I don't mind difficult trails (when I'm not nearly running to keep up).

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Went on a hike yesterday and saw my first (black) bear tracks/scat of the year. Also moose tracks. Going to have to get really good at talking to myself since I'll mostly be hiking alone this summer. I'm starting to seriously sort through my guide books for some shorter backpacking routes since I don't think I'll have time for a big long one. But I hope to do a couple 3-4 day trips this summer, hopefully at least once in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:00 am 
WRETCHED

We go hiking but we never spend the night. We weren't able to hike last year because one of my dogs had an injury so we were definitely out of shape. Right now, our hikes are 4-5 miles. I think the longest hike we've done though is about 7 miles but we also take the dogs with us so we are also getting them in shape for longer hikes. I also bought the dogs a cooling vest, 1 of the dogs is not having it. The other dog is like 'ok this works'. He is the one that gets hot on our hikes though so that is good.

And my husband is taller with longer legs, so he walks behind me.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Did 3 days on the AT along the NC/TN border around and in the Cherokee National Forest area this past weekend. Car broke down and stranded me in Virginia on my way home Monday (memorial day of all days) but I had such a great weekend up until then it was hard to shake me plus I got as lucky as can ever be. A friend from work who lives in TN was on his way heading North on 81 (along which I was broken down) up to where I live with an empty car trailer on Tuesday, he was heading up home to pick some stuff up. So I got a hotel room and he picked me and my car up Tuesday and gave me a ride home. I don't deserve that kind of luck. Anyway things were spot on. Great weather, great views, beautiful forest. Just great backpacking.

Where we camped the first night:

View the other way the next morning:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We live not too far from one of the access points to the Pacific Crest Trail in Oregon. I would so, so like to hike part of it at some point. I've never backpacked before and we have two children. Our older girl is quite a trooper but I know the 2yo would tire and need to be carried at least half of the time. I guess we could always just plan a day trip instead of overnighting, if we had to, but I'd sure love to dip my toes into the backpacking world just to see how I like it!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 am 

Butterbobbin, my dad started hiking with me (and then my brother) when I was 5/6. Really short hikes, but then when was 8/9, we started overnights - 7-10 miles in, but never with a significant elevation gain. The important part for kids (in my anecdotal experience) are that while hikes can certainly be long and overnight, for short legs, steep elevation gain is hard and unfun. Honestly, I hated hiking from about 11-17 and my brother (for some unknown reason) hates going with my dad or me. So I say take 'em and get 'em used to it.

My summer hiking partner when I arrive in Asheville (boyfriend) is slower than me! I AM SO EXCITED. He's the same height as my regular partner, but not as practiced/in shape/prepared for long hikes. So we can actually both enjoy it, since his long legs make it a workout for him to keep up with me, but not impossible!

Ichabod and I will be hitting Priest Lake & the Sawtooth Range in Idaho and Grand Tetons & Wind Range in Wyoming, then somewhere x2 in Montana and then the Badlands in South Dakota. After that, I'm unsure. If anyone has ideas of places to go in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, or West Virginia, please suggest!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:13 am 
WRETCHED

Craiger, that is awesome!
Just due to camping near the AT in Virginia, we've walked part of it. We are thinking of doing and out and back of the AT in Maryland (I think the total thing is 20 miles in MD, but we would just do a few miles)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:19 am 
Saggy Butt

missdelaney wrote:
Ichabod and I will be hitting Priest Lake & the Sawtooth Range in Idaho and Grand Tetons & Wind Range in Wyoming, then somewhere x2 in Montana and then the Badlands in South Dakota. After that, I'm unsure. If anyone has ideas of places to go in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, or West Virginia, please suggest!

Iowa - there are not really any long hikes but there are some cool state parks. Depends what route you're taking through there. If you're on I-80 that's the most boring stretch of Iowa and is what gives the state such a stereotype of being flat. Ledges State Park is in central Iowa and is very nice. NE Iowa is beautiful rolling fields, limestone bluffs, and forest. Backbone State Forest and Yellow River State Forest are both great, but are probably out of the way unless you wanted to take I-90 through southern Minnesota and then cut down through NE Iowa along the Mississippi and then into Illinois (definitely a beautiful drive, I've done it many times).

Also, if you want recommendations for Western Montana I have plenty. I have a futon in Missoula if you need a place to stay or lots of good campsite recs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:45 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hey folks! We are doing a 3 night backpacking trip in the desolation wilderness in August. It's the first time we're taking our pup and I'm a little nervous. We bought him shoes to help with the rocky terrain but we haven't been hiking in a long time so he's pretty out of shape. I'm worried about him getting worn out after the first day and having to carry him (which will be pretty much impossible). I work a lot this summer (7 days/wk, 12 hrs a day) so we can't go on hiking trips to get him into shape. Any ideas how else we can get him ready? Running?

He's also 10 years old (chihuahua mix). He's spry but I'm a little concerned--is that too old for a backpacking trip? He does great hiking normally though since we haven't hiked much lately I noticed he does get sore on 7 mile trips.

I'm reading up on taking dogs backpacking but any tips or tricks about food, water, bedding would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:49 pm 

Catalina wrote:
missdelaney wrote:

Iowa - there are not really any long hikes but there are some cool state parks. Depends what route you're taking through there. If you're on I-80 that's the most boring stretch of Iowa and is what gives the state such a stereotype of being flat. Ledges State Park is in central Iowa and is very nice. NE Iowa is beautiful rolling fields, limestone bluffs, and forest. Backbone State Forest and Yellow River State Forest are both great, but are probably out of the way unless you wanted to take I-90 through southern Minnesota and then cut down through NE Iowa along the Mississippi and then into Illinois (definitely a beautiful drive, I've done it many times).

Also, if you want recommendations for Western Montana I have plenty. I have a futon in Missoula if you need a place to stay or lots of good campsite recs.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I'm taking I-80 from here (Jackson, WY) and heading up to Ann Arbor. My car is giving me some minor troubles (oil leak), so I'm hesitant to go anywhere off a main highway right now, which sucks because there was more I wanted to see in the west!
Looks like I'll have to make the boyfriend take a few weeks off to travel with me in early fall. hee.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:46 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

couroupita wrote:
any tips or tricks about food, water, bedding would be much appreciated!

We've only taken the pups on an overnight backpack but we hike them a lot. I just recently remembered about this product and now I have ordered some: http://www.turbopup.com/ like, power bars for dogs.

I've brought regular dog food for them but I like the idea of a more compact meal, especially since the last time I brought dog food the tupperware failed and it made a mess in the dog pack.

I also use this: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/ice-pups to make a broth for pre-hydration. I heat a cup of water, mix it to solution and then add room-temp water to make 4 cups which I split between the 2 dogs before a hike.

On my next backpack with them, if there are no natural water sources, I will pre-mix a nalgene of this for them. It's really hard to get them to drink when they are rompling about wanting to do everything else.

(People often say just use regular broth, but I've not seen one without onion which is not good for dogs.)

Also, on next backpack I will bring double their normal amount of food. They burn a ton of calories.

Bedding? I didn't give that a thought. They just hunkered down with us in the tent; Simon probably shared my closed-cell ground pad, but I didn't bring anything for him or Daniel. I don't think they cared, they were so tired.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

missdelaney wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, I'm taking I-80 from here (Jackson, WY) and heading up to Ann Arbor. My car is giving me some minor troubles (oil leak), so I'm hesitant to go anywhere off a main highway right now, which sucks because there was more I wanted to see in the west!
Looks like I'll have to make the boyfriend take a few weeks off to travel with me in early fall. hee.

I hope your car doesn't get any worse. Even if you can't take the scenic route it's still a road trip and those are pretty awesome whatever way you end up taking. Also, you'll be rewarded with Omaha after driving through the nothing of Nebraska. Have a great rest of your drive!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

~Sz wrote:
couroupita wrote:
any tips or tricks about food, water, bedding would be much appreciated!

We've only taken the pups on an overnight backpack but we hike them a lot. I just recently remembered about this product and now I have ordered some: http://www.turbopup.com/ like, power bars for dogs.

I've brought regular dog food for them but I like the idea of a more compact meal, especially since the last time I brought dog food the tupperware failed and it made a mess in the dog pack.

I also use this: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/ice-pups to make a broth for pre-hydration. I heat a cup of water, mix it to solution and then add room-temp water to make 4 cups which I split between the 2 dogs before a hike.

On my next backpack with them, if there are no natural water sources, I will pre-mix a nalgene of this for them. It's really hard to get them to drink when they are rompling about wanting to do everything else.

(People often say just use regular broth, but I've not seen one without onion which is not good for dogs.)

Also, on next backpack I will bring double their normal amount of food. They burn a ton of calories.

Bedding? I didn't give that a thought. They just hunkered down with us in the tent; Simon probably shared my closed-cell ground pad, but I didn't bring anything for him or Daniel. I don't think they cared, they were so tired.

This is *so* helpful, thank you!!! I had no idea there were energy bars for dogs but of course it makes sense and will be so much easier to pack than kibble or whatever he needs to rejuice during the day. They sell some at a place near my work so we can test in advance. Does the broth help mostly for hydration or is it also for electrolytes?

I was worried he'd be cold at night since we'll be in the sierras. I could probably share my mat but I think my mummy bag is too tight. Maybe his hiking fleece will be sufficient though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:14 pm 

couroupita wrote:
Does the broth help mostly for hydration or is it also for electrolytes?

Mostly hydration but there is some nutrition so I'd have to think there are electrolyte benefits. Main thing for me is the boys LOVE it, they slurp it till it's gone.

~~~

I just day-hiked San Gorgonio and realized it will be totally feasible to backpack there and summit with Simon. I'm going to wait til next year since he's only 10 months old and it will be a stressful trek for a pup. But I am totally looking forward to this!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone been to Bowman Lake in Glacier NP? Any tips on cool hikes around there or just general thoughts about the North Fork area? Some friends and I are going up there for a short trip next week and I have a few ideas of hikes I'd like to do but would love to hear other experiences if anyone has been there. Also, Going to the Sun Road just opened and I'm super excited to go to Logan Pass and play in the snow in June.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think I made it close to ultralight! I upgraded my pack (despite lamentations upthread) to a 2 pounder, our tent is 1.3 lb, we changed our water purification from First Need to a squeeze filtration system, and we chucked the JetBoil, at least for this trip, opting for no-cook meals. Including food and water, my pack is at 24 lb. We're headed to the Sierras for a 3 day trip this weekend to test everything out. Excited to not lug around 40 lb up mountains >_<

Look how wee this pack is! The dog is impressed that it weighs the same as he does.

I'm thinking I also want to upgrade my sleeping bag at some point. It's a 20 degree synthetic bag that weighs 3.5 lb. I've heard lots of good things about sleeping quilts. Anyone here tried that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a Marmot 45 degree bag I got from Campmor for like $79 and it weighs around 1-3/4 lbs and packs very small. Never done the quilt thing so I couldn't say.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:10 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I mentioned up thread, For bike touring I like using a lightweight summery bag that compresses really small, with a Mylar emergency blanket over top. I've used this set up down to around 30 degrees, and was toasty enough that midway through the night I had to push the Mylar sheet down so it was only covering my legs because I was getting way too hot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:55 pm 

couroupita wrote:
I Including food and water, my pack is at 24 lb. We're headed to the Sierras for a 3 day trip this weekend to test everything out.

Very nicely done! I just got back from a 5-day Sierra trip and out the door my pack weighed over 30 lbs. I'm also no-cook, but I brought a lot of bars with me which are heavy. And, the bear canister.

Thankfully there were tons of water sources (except on the passes) so I never had more than 3L at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

~Sz wrote:
couroupita wrote:
I Including food and water, my pack is at 24 lb. We're headed to the Sierras for a 3 day trip this weekend to test everything out.

Very nicely done! I just got back from a 5-day Sierra trip and out the door my pack weighed over 30 lbs. I'm also no-cook, but I brought a lot of bars with me which are heavy. And, the bear canister.

Thankfully there were tons of water sources (except on the passes) so I never had more than 3L at a time.

The trip was a grand success! Most of the time I forgot I was even carrying a pack. I was sad we decided to not bring the dog (I really agonized over it!) but the second day of the trip was so intense I honestly think he's too old to handle it. I guess that belongs in the old pet thread :(

We were lucky that the place we went (Desolation) didn't require a bear box so we were able to get away with a bag hung from a tree. That canister weighs SO MUCH, ugh. We have the Garcia box, thinking of upgrading to a Bearikade but they're so expensive!! What no-cook foods did you bring other than bars? Food was definitely the heaviest thing for me. I brought tasty bites and pre-cooked rice for dinner, later realizing it's heavy because they already contain water. Whoops.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 pm 

couroupita wrote:
What no-cook foods did you bring other than bars?

We were so close to Desolation! We were around Italy Pass and Granite Bear Pass, Bear Lake and Miram Lake and all that.

For my no-cook food: I start with vegan Backpackers' Pantry (Kathmandu Curry, Santa Fe Red Beans and Rice) and I put that through the food processor with Harmony House freeze dried: Spinach, lentils, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, shallots, corn, chives. Put into baggies in 2-night portions. Add salt and nooch. This makes it all pretty fine so that it re-hydrates faster.

I'm going to get a food saver thingie so I can vacuum pack my food in one or two day portions. I have leftover food now and I've been told I can freeze it but I feel it may get damp on defrost so I'm not sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next