| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue May 26, 2015 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Backpacking! Thru-Hiking! Let's talk about it here!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Awesome, Lobsteriffic! I love your yellow pack! So glad you had a great time. Backpacking is addictive.

I returned early from my third Sierra trip. Turns out I'm a fair weather backpacker and thunderstorms every afternoon, hiking with wet gear and so on, did not feel appealing to me. We made an executive decision to turn around and go back from whence we came (Kearsarge) and it was a good decision. CA needs the rain so I'm glad it's happening, I just don't want to be in it.

A couple more shorter trips planned. Psyched!
Today: All the laundry.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm going on a two-nighter this coming weekend! The scenery is supposed to be gorgeous, it looks like this (not my picture):

The only thing is we are supposed to get a ton of rain on one of the days and I'm a little (okay a lot) worried about scaling rocks in the rain. I'm hoping the weather forecast changes!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Pretty! Have a great time! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

The trip was awesome! It rained a lot, and the trail is rocky and was very slippery because of the water. But we made it through and still had an awesome time (mostly!). Trip report with photos:

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/trip-report-bruce-peninsula/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:54 pm 

Wow, beautiful trip, Lobst! That scenery is amazing. The wooden tent platform looks great, too. And, ahhh, the rain skirt. Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

What sleeping bag do you guys use? Mine is synthetic and rolls up small, which I love, but it was super cheap and even though it's temperature rated to -5C (23F), in reality it's only good to about 10C (50F). I want to invest in a better bag but I want to balance size (I don't want a giant monster bag that won't fit in my sleeping bag compartment) and warmth. The local stores don't have a lot of synthetic options so I'll probably have to order something online.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:28 am 

I'm no help here. The Mr. was issued about 12 sleeping bags of every variety. I love the Cat's Meow best, but it's too heavy for schlepping.

Please let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm in a constant state of sleeping bag shopping. I have a synthetic Mountain Hardwear -15ºF bag that is not even close to that rating. I know I sleep cold, but at around 15ºF I couldn't sleep I was shivering so much. It's otherwise a nice bag for car camping, but too bulky/heavy for backpacking. I do like the MH stuff though and have looked at some of the 20º-30º bags for spring through early fall. Their warmer temp bags pack down smaller though not as small as down. Sierra Trading Post always has deals on synthetic bags especially if you get one of their 35% off emails. (I swear I'm not a salesperson for STP - I just love them)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm going on a short weekend hike next weekend! I'm just hoping the weather won't be like this weekend (cold, possibly snowy). We're aiming for a shelter in Connecticut that has lovely views and I"m so excited to go back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I might be late on the sleeping bag thing, but I've become a convert to using a small lightweight, compact bag with a mylar emergency blanket over top.the my.lar folds down to the size of a handkerchief and is super warm. I took a two week bike trip last september using a summer sleeping bag/bag liner that was only rated to 55 or so, and in vermont/nh/maine it gets down into the 30s in late sept., but was actual ly really cozy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

electric_claire that's an amazing idea! I'm going to research that further, thank you! Lilianp enjoy your trip!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

Okay so this might be a big question, but I'll try.

I want to go to the U.S for 3 months in spring (February, March, April). I would really love to do some hiking trips (for a couple of days, or a week perhaps) meanwhile. I don't want a lot of snow in the mountains. Where can I go? (what states etc, don't need actual routes).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:17 pm 
Hip Goiter

Have any of you gotten black toe from hiking? ummm if so please let's talk about your experience and how long it took to heal and if you went to a doctor!

Laughfrodisiac
www.thefriendliestflour.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:53 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

RandiJM wrote:
Have any of you gotten black toe from hiking? ummm if so please let's talk about your experience and how long it took to heal and if you went to a doctor!

Dude! If it's still black it's surely been too long! Go to the doctor, it's free here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Not sure about black toe, you should go to your doctor just in case.
Pannkakan, the Florida trail? The shenandoahs in April (virginia) should be fine. Don't bother with New England hiking or souther Appalachia, especially above 3500 feet before mid April. Not sure about we'd post coast options, maybe something in Arizona if the elevation isn't too high.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:46 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah, April may be ok for the southern Appalachians if you are ok with not bagging peaks. March and April are great for lower elevations, especially if you are into wild flowers.

Some of the national forests & parks in the south east would also be good in Feb, like Congaree in South Carolina or some of the outer banks, or islands, like Cumberland Island National Seashore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:22 am 
Inflexitarian

So I'll be travelling in California and Arizona from February 15 to May 11 and hope to do at least some over night hiking. That will be fun I think! I will be bringing a sleeping bag but will probably buy a tent and a matress of some kind since I do't have any at home anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Have had fun reviewing this thread- anyone buy a new winter bag lately?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:12 am 
Saggy Butt

pannkakan wrote:
So I'll be travelling in California and Arizona from February 15 to May 11 and hope to do at least some over night hiking. That will be fun I think! I will be bringing a sleeping bag but will probably buy a tent and a matress of some kind since I do't have any at home anyway.

Do you know where you want to hike? I've hiked in Death Valley in March (this loop) and the weather was great. I've also done some Grand Canyon hikes (this, this) in March, and the weather was colder but manageable. Warm at the bottom of the canyon. I've also been on the bottom of the canyon in April and it's been over 40C--hard to predict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We don't have a general hiking thread (and I'm only doing day hikes right now to prepare the puppy for overnights with me this summer), but I do have a question.

I only really hike with a friend of mine who's Super Hiker Man. I love him to pieces, but he's a good seven or eight inches taller than me, and that's mostly leg. Even when we just go on walks together in the city, I am constantly reminding him to slow down because one of his steps is usually two of mine- especially when climbing up rocky switchbacks. And, like, I get it. Your gait is your gait and far be it from me to stop you! And I usually am able to keep up with little problem since the majority of my friends are over six feet tall, but I feel like I'm doing twice the work, which is not going to be okay when it comes to thru-hiking in a few months. It isn't like I'm slow. I'm not at all. I'm just not over six feet tall.

Is there an easy way to deal with something like this? Do any of you have hiking companions that are much taller/shorter than you? Have you figured out a way to make it work? Or is it just a constant reminder of "Hey, remember I'm not a giant like you?"

We don't like getting too far separated from each other because it makes my dog anxious, since she's a herder, and she's scared of water, so she needs me there to coax her on stepping stones and things, but can't fathom the idea of my friend being too far ahead of us.

We hiked up to a place called Copper Lake. The snow around here is hard to come by, so I was pretty psyched to see it.

So was Ichabod. For scale, that's the friend I'm talking about. Tall and leggy, two things I am not.
This is Little Heart Lake, a little farther up than Copper Lake. It was totally frozen, so Ichabod decided to take a run around the lake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:50 pm 

That's a tough quandary. Expecially if Ichy needs you guys together. Mr. Sz can hike faster than me but his ethic is to sweep, so when we are in a group, he tends to hold back. When I hike with my women's group, some of us are ahead, some behind, and we take breaks to regroup. I loved hiking / backpacking by myself in a group.

With the puppy, that is interesting. Simon doesn't herd but sometimes he'll whine if we are behind. I am working on training this out of him.

off-topic: Are you using a Lupine harness?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, I don't know if you can really...stop a dog's herding instinct in that setting, and I don't really want to. It's a nice instinct for her to have in that setting, to have everyone accounted for.

He and I chatted about it yesterday on a walk, and he said we'd work on pacing on the next hike. Initially he was teasing me about it, but then I had him watch us just walk to the library and he conceded that I was exerting a lot more energy.

I'm not sure if that's the brand, but it looks identical to their Roman Harness, so it must be. She wears it almost 24/7 and she doesn't seem bothered by it at all. I love being able to clip in the front so she can't pull as much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:11 pm 

One issue with herding is if she is off-leash and there are a bunch of hikers around. I've been herded before! It didn't bother me, but it seemed to super stress the dog out. It is nice to be accounted for though.

I'm using a Lupine with Daniel and I was hoping it would help him with the pulling with it clipped in the front, but he just seems to trip over it.

Re: The pacing. There have been times when I've tried to keep up with faster hikers and I just succeeded in getting my heart rate up way too high. I don't recommend that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thankfully (in this instance), she's terrified of anyone she doesn't know to the point that she hides behind me, so herding strangers isn't part of her need- just her people, of which there are few! I do hope she gets less fearful as she gets older, so I'll keep that aspect in mind.

Thankfully, he's anticipating slowing his pace, not trying to speed mine up!

It took us about a month of the front clipping to get used to where the leash needs to go- she's really good at managing the leash around her legs now and almost always corrects herself if she's uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:59 pm 

Dog hiking buddies are the best.

I have to keep working with Daniel.

Good luck with the pace setting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next