| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

nice! core strength becomes huge when your torquing to get up climbs and such. definitely something most cyclist have to work on.

agreed. id also throw out there to make sure they are USB chargeable lights. replacing batteries is annoying :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 am 
WRETCHED

Oh nice, didn't even think of USB chargeable lights.

I went on a bike ride this morning with even more firsts. First time not getting off my bike at all. I rode on the street to the sidewalk to the path. Before, I had walked my bike to the sidewalk. I almost braved riding on the street but our main street is pretty busy in the mornings and people park on the street so I would've had to pass parked cars while people are zooming to work. Then I decided to attempt going up a long hill. It wasn't too bad, I stopped at 1/2 way up to catch my breathe and then kept going. The long hill was near the end of the ride and got home (again riding on the streets for a short way) and my husband was just leaving for work and he was like 'wow you are sweaty'... It is humid out and I went up a big hill so yeah.

Overall, it kind of surprises me how well I'm doing. I mean I weigh 70ish lbs more than the last time I tried riding a bike and I was never a bike rider. When I was a kid, I might've had a bike for a few years here and there but walking was a main mode of transport as most kids in our neighborhood didn't have bikes but we walked everywhere together. Then I tried 7 years ago or so to ride a bike and I never really got over the fear and a few short bike rides, I gave up in favor of a trike. I know I need to master going down hill and I need to learn how to shift better. But feeling the wind on my face is kind of amazing.

Oh and I realized that I need sunglasses, I rode into the sun for part of my ride and it wasn't fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, yeah, USB chargeable lights are the best. The PDW ones I mentioned have that feature, but there are several brands that do as well.

Seriously, Linanil, you're doing awesome. One of the things I like about cycling is that it's a long game. There's always something to learn and work on and improve at, whether you're a pro or a total newbie. Do let me know if you figure out how to descend. I'm still working on that one. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:52 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

linanil wrote:
Oh and I realized that I need sunglasses, I rode into the sun for part of my ride and it wasn't fun.

I can sew you a cycling cap!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:09 pm 
WRETCHED

pandacookie wrote:
linanil wrote:

What what? :)

And thanks JoPa, I appreciate it. I'm having so much fun that I never expected.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:23 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

pandacookie wrote:
linanil wrote:

A helmet cover!!!

Congrats Linacyclist! You are awesome and an inspiration!

Also, sunglasses with a slight wrap to them are nice for cycling.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:46 pm 
WRETCHED

I may be ready for a name change, Linacyclist :)

My ultimate goal is to be able to bike when we visit the Stanford Inn in November since they have bike rentals on site. I think I'll definitely be able to do that now with the progress I've been making.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

linanil wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
linanil wrote:

What what? :)

A billed cap that fits under your helmet. They have a visor to help with sun or rain. I've been sewing some for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 pm 
WRETCHED

pandacookie wrote:
A billed cap that fits under your helmet. They have a visor to help with sun or rain. I've been sewing some for myself.

I like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:25 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I bought a bike this week and in about half an hour I'm going to attempt a practice ride to my volunteer job. I'm extremely nervous, I've read this thread about three times to try and get my confidence up! For the most part I can get there via green lanes, it's not the quickest route, but I will only have two short distances on busy roads. By going at sunrise on a Sunday I'm also kind of hoping there won't be too many cars about

I think the last time I rode a bike was about 20 years ago, and I certainly never actually cycled on roads with traffic!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:28 am 
Total Hoover

Jellybelly wrote:
I bought a bike this week and in about half an hour I'm going to attempt a practice ride to my volunteer job. I'm extremely nervous, I've read this thread about three times to try and get my confidence up! For the most part I can get there via green lanes, it's not the quickest route, but I will only have two short distances on busy roads. By going at sunrise on a Sunday I'm also kind of hoping there won't be too many cars about

I think the last time I rode a bike was about 20 years ago, and I certainly never actually cycled on roads with traffic!

How did your ride go?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It was no where near as scary as I expected! I actually loved it, thanks for asking

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16