| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

For the intersections that have a button to hit to activate the flashing road lights, I almost always hit that and wait to cross. If a big enough break in traffic comes, I will cross before the light activates or just go if there's no traffic when I get there. (such as at 16th and hawthorne)

For places with the divided sections, I will usually ride halfway if I can and then wait to cross when traffic breaks or stops on the next side. (like MLK-it can be hard to get a break to get across the whole thing at once).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:32 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks everyone! I feel like less of a jackass now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:48 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Sounds like you're doing the right thing, K. You may start to feel more confident about making those sorts of maneuvers as time goes on, or you might not. It's fine either way, and if anyone gives you crepe, consider having this wheel installed:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've been a cyclist for years and year, so don't consider myself a beginner, but I hella don't consider myself a badass, so I'm posting this here.

Ugh gawd I need encouragement or something. In times past when I've used my bike as daily transport, it was to places 1-2 miles away. Now I'm biking to and from downtown - 6 miles away - every day. And I feel like it's getting harder and harder! I even decided I couldn't handle it with my single speed, so I bought a bike with gears - but still I have no idea how to do even small hills without feeling like I'm going to explode. I thought being able to shift down was going to blow my mind, and sure, it makes my legs to a bit less work, but it also takes like twice the time to get up the hill, so, argh.

It doesn't help that I don't really understand how to use the left gears. I've got it all figured out which direction to go up and down with the right ones, but whenever I moved the left ones, it just made me confused. Maybe I should only switch the left if the right is in a certain position? (it's the lever kind of gears).

And because I feel like a whiny complain-y brat right now I'm going to also ask: What does it mean if I feel like my leg isn't coming to full extension, even though the seat is as high as I can go without having to hop down at a stop? To clarify: both my new bike and old one are (or at least are supposed to be - I haven't measured myself) 52cm. So this would mean the wheels are bigger in my new one maybe? Bah. Confusions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Leg extension: You should be hopping off your bike when you come to a stop! Otherwise your seat is too low. Lots and lots of people ride with their seat too low, so that they can reach the ground at a stop, and I get it- it feels scary when you're just starting out doing it to not be able to reach the ground immediately! But over time, you will probably start experiencing knee pain because you aren't getting that full leg extension.

To dismount at stops, stand up shortly before you come to a stop with one foot at the bottom of the circle, and put the opposite foot on the ground to dismount once you slow down.

Someone at a bike shop should be able to look at your leg extension, as well as your seat placement, and make some adjustments for you.

Gears: Gears are really helpful, and most people don't use them enough. Even in Chicago, where the closest thing to a hill I ride on is a tiny overpass above the highway, I like having at least three gears so that I can go into a lower gear when I come to a stop sign, and shift up as I start going again. But now that I ride a bike with more than three gears, I use more than three frequently. Gears are great because again, you're protecting your knees over time, and because they actually help you go faster, faster. It doesn't mean you'll never get winded though. And both using gears comfortably, and going uphill, are things that take practice. It's ok if it takes you some time!

The gears on the left make more dramatic shifts. The gears on the right make more incremental shifts. In flat Chicago, I hardly ever change out of the middle gear on the left side (I have three, you might only have two). I know Portland is hillier than Chicago, but I don't know if it's necessary on your route to switch the left gear or not. Either way, definitely shift up on the right side before shifting up on the left. The right side shouldn't need to be in any particular position or gear in order to shift the left, but you should avoid cross-chaining, meaning you don't want the chain to be on the largest ring on the front while it's on the largest cog in the back, or on the smallest ring on the front while it's on the smallest cog in the back, at the same time. If your left gear is in the middle, which it probably will be a majority of the time, this isn't a big deal but if you're switching it to the lowest or highest, you might want to either shift up or down a gear or two on the right side first, depending on which way you're going.

The best thing you can do to improve your cycling efficiency, and therefore how tiring a particular ride is, is to practice riding with a comfortable and consistent pedaling cadence. This cadence is a little bit different for different people, but basically your feet should be spinning all the way around in a circle easily and smoothly- not mashing down on each stroke, but not falling to the bottom of the circle either. This definitely takes practice! Once you get it down though, you'll fly by all those other chumps who are riding in too hard of a gear! Seriously.

Some things I think about in order to keep up that nice cadence are thinking of my feet as a paddle wheel, or thinking of there being a string that goes between the pedal and the bottom of my shoe. In other words, you should thing about the forward movement of your foot at the top of the pedal rotation, and the backward movement of the foot at the bottom of the rotation, and the upward movement of the foot at the rear of the rotation, as all being equally important as the downward push of your foot at the front of the pedal stroke. Most people only think about the power of their pedaling coming from that quarter of the rotation where their foot is going down, but doing that actually means you're losing a bunch of efficiency, and having to try way harder.

I hope some of that was helpful! The cadence thing might not make any sense without demonstrating in person- maybe try watching some youtube videos, or maybe there is someone you know in real life who can give you a demo?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Also, I find lever shifters (if they are what I'm thinking of) harder to get used to using than other kinds. You kind of just have to feel when the gear is fully engaged, as opposed to if you have a kind where they click into place. You could ask at a shop if they would be able to swap them for another kind. Also shifters can be in a variety of places on your bike, and some places are easier to use than others. I have tried using shifts on a downtube, and bar end shifters, and didn't care for either. I like them to be close to where my hands are anyway, and I'm definitely more likely to change gears more if the shifters are really easy to access.

You might also think about getting a tune up if you haven't recently (or if you didn't get the new bike either new, or used from a place that overhauls used bikes before selling them). It's amazing what a new chain and cassette can do for you! Also make sure you're keeping your tires fully inflated, and lubing your chain regularly, probably about once a week if you're riding 12 miles each day, or after each time it rains. These two things will make it feel waaaay easier than if you are riding around on flat tires and a dry chain. (Pardon me if you already know this, but sometimes I let it slip and then when I finally get around to those things, I'm like Oh yeah! Riding a bike is so fun and easy!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 pm 

I did get it a tune-up, and replaced the cassette and chain. I'll definitely try to remember to lube my chain - I did know about keeping tires pumped, but not about the lube. I'm having no problems or concerns with where the lever-shifters are, I don't mind reaching down. Only thing is it's just kinda hard to remember which direction means up or down.

That's interesting about hopping down being correct. Maybe my old bike just had too-small wheels, cause I felt I had good leg extension, but I didn't need to hop down - unlike how I feel with this bike. So could be that this bike is more the norm. I will give it a shot with it raised more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Some other things: it's totally ok if it takes you a bit of time to remember which way to move the levers. I have been riding a geared bike for years and still, when I borrowed a friend's bike on vacation this summer, I felt like the left one was "backwards" from what I was used to and expecting, and I kept moving it it the wrong direction! I would suggest, if you have some flat-ish part of your ride, practice moving that just that left lever back and forth several times so that you start getting the hang of which way is up and which way is down. Much better to practice on a flat area, and then be able to rely on muscle memory when you actually need it going up or down a hill.

And again, pardon me if this is something you already know, but you should only switch gears while the bike is moving...if you try to do if from a stop it's going to be messy. (Unless you happen to have an awesome feature called a positron, that is an extra set of bearings whose only purpose is to allow you to shift from a stop, but that's not a very common feature.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ok now that I did a little more reading about the Positron shifting, I'm no longer sure about it being an extra set of bearings...but I had one of these bikes and it did let me shift from a stop! But now I'm a bit mystified about why. Anyway, usually you don't want to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:40 am 

Nah, yeah, I know not to do that :) I kind of want something called a positron though; cause it sounds like a Star Trek thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't have much bike wisdom to add, but one thing that helped me with my shifters is to take a little bit of masking tape and a marker and mark which direction was up and which was down because I kept getting it messed up. It worked wonders! It probably looks stupid to serious cyclists, but whatever, it helped me feel confident enough to use my gears and made riding more enjoyable.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I am also rubbish at using my gears properly but am getting better with effort.

I had a bike fit done a couple of weeks ago and it was great. Turns out my saddle was too far back which was giving me a knee problem. Only one ride so far since but it feels much better so I'm really glad I had it done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:36 pm 

The masking tape is a great idea! I will do that.

Yeah I guess I should have a proper fit done. Bah. *complies*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

electric_claire wrote:
Ok now that I did a little more reading about the Positron shifting, I'm no longer sure about it being an extra set of bearings...but I had one of these bikes and it did let me shift from a stop! But now I'm a bit mystified about why. Anyway, usually you don't want to do that.

My bike has an internal hub which shifts in a stop/while not peddling. It took some getting used to as this is backwards from how I learned to shift, but I LOVE it for commuting in traffic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

What's your bike, Mars? Is it a road bike frame?

As far as fit, the wheels should be the same size in the vast majority of like-type bikes (i.e. 95% of road/road-style bikes have 700c size wheels) The frame measurement refers to, well, the frame. The 52 specifically probably refers to the length of the top tube. That is, if you're not getting a full leg extension, it's most likely a frame size issue, rather than a wheel size issue. I'm curious that you're having so much trouble with that, though, since I think you're roughly my height, which means a 52 is probably on the cusp of a bit big for you. (For reference, I'm 5'6 and ride a 51 (a women-specific frame - I'd probably be closer to a 50 or 49 in a standard geometry frame)). I wonder if perhaps you have a particularly short seatpost? Or maybe if your saddle is adjusted so it's all the way forward on the rails? If the latter issue is the case, you should be able to adjust it with an allen key or two. I'm feeling pretty jet lagged right now, so I'm not super coherent, but this guide from REI seemed to have some pretty helpful stuff in it: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-fit.html

I would also note that while a lot of people do ride with their saddle too low, you don't want it to be too high either. I have had a couple of bikes pro fit, and I can touch the ground with my butt on the saddle. It's only on my toes, not flat footed, but that level of extension works just fine for me.

As for climbing, well, climbing is a special kind of fitness I think. When I started riding a bike, I rode to work, and I had to walk up this one two-block hill at first. I was in really great shape, actually, but it took me a while to build those specific muscles and learn how to do it. Now, I can climb all damn day, but at first, like everyone, I struggled a lot. I think that the most important thing is to shift down to a small gear, try to keep your cadence steady (faster spinning is better than "mashing," though your cadence will naturally be slower while climbing than while riding something flat), and don't try to sprint up the hill. Take it slow and steady, and if you have to stop, stop. If you keep at it, it will get easier.

Finally, what route are you using to get to/from work? I know we live pretty close together, so I'd be happy to share my routes or tips if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

hey mars! I can give you encouragement. i used to bike commute, but then moved back to a much busier city and stopped, because i knew too many people who had been in accidents (plus i had been clipped by a car and sent flying over the handlebars in my sleepy old town, which was incredibly scary and if that happened in sleepy town, i pretty much lost all confidence that i could bike in busy city). I was sick of hating my subway commute and wishing i could ride, so one day last march i just did it. and it was hard! i lived 13km from where i had to go, so a round trip seemed like a big deal. there were also a lot of big/steep hills that i just couldn't get up, and it was discouraging because i used to be able to climb similar hills. i started out just doing the bike commute once or twice a week, and slowly transitioned to everyday over the course of a month. by mid-summer, i was cranking out kms like it was nothing. I know you can do it too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
What's your bike, Mars? Is it a road bike frame?

Univega - yeah I think it is - most univega's are I believe, and anyways it's got all the other road bike signifiers that I'm aware of.

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm curious that you're having so much trouble with that, though, since I think you're roughly my height, which means a 52 is probably on the cusp of a bit big for you. (For reference, I'm 5'6 and ride a 51 (a women-specific frame - I'd probably be closer to a 50 or 49 in a standard geometry frame)).

Well it's not trouble per say, just kind of confused why from one 52cm bike to another I'm feeling a difference in extension. Maybe it's the saddle position, I'll look into it. And I'm 5'7, or so I like to say (I might be in-between 5'6 and 5'7), but I've always been a 52 as I've been made aware. Maybe longer legs proportionately? (Or just an ego that doesn't want to get a smaller bike?)

jordanpattern wrote:
As for climbing, well, climbing is a special kind of fitness I think...Take it slow and steady, and if you have to stop, stop. If you keep at it, it will get easier.

Okay! Maybe my problem why I never gained those muscles with my single speed is I definitely pushed it, I'd be mashing the shiitake of those pedals, standing up and stuff. Oww.

jordanpattern wrote:
Finally, what route are you using to get to/from work? I know we live pretty close together, so I'd be happy to share my routes or tips if you like.

Going to Vancouver, Vancouver to Russell, Broadway Bridge, then Broadway all the way to PSU. The hardest part for me is downtown, it's uphill from about Burnside all the way to PSU mostly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

There is no greater sense of satisfaction in the world than passing someone stuck in traffic who just minutes before had passed you unsafely and aggressively.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Mars wrote:
I'd be mashing the shiitake of those pedals

My favorite piece of cycling wisdom:

Pedals are not potatoes. Do not mash them :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:28 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I got a new bike today. It's a big upgrade from what I was riding and is so dang nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yay new bike!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm resurrecting this thread because I was hoping some folks in this thread might be able to provide me with some insight. I'm working with a local woman-focused bike shop and am co-leading the Road Curious Club, it's a 6-week program for women who are interested in learning the skills to ride and race on the road. We had our first session on Sunday, and I think it went really well. Myself and the two other women who are leading the group talked about some basic stuff like what kinds of clothes are good for road riding, the difference between cycling shoes and regular athletic shoes, what to bring with you to fix a flat or make minor mechanical repairs while riding, etc. and then went for a short ride as a group.

In the remaining sessions, we'll be riding more and talking less, but I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to share either questions they currently have about cycling or things you wish you had known when you started out. I feel like there's so much information to give these ladies, and I don't want to completely overwhelm them, so knowing what other people want/wanted to know would be helpful to me in deciding what to spend time talking about.

If it's helpful, the schedule for the remaining classes is:
1. Group riding basics
2. Climbing and descending
3. Bike handling
4. Racing 101
5. First race (we're taking the group to race in the novice field at a local weekly bike race)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:49 pm 
Total Hoover

Jordanpattern, I know I find road skills such as negotiating junctions safely (particularly when turning right, so what would be turning left in the US) and merging into other lanes of traffic difficult. And safely riding along a road which has occasional parked cars on it, but isn't wide enough to ride a metre out from the parked cars and have cars pass you safely. These might be some things to discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Change out of your chamois ASAP when ride is over!
Too much padding = too much power lost.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 am 
WRETCHED

I wanted to resurrect this thread because I have the itch again and I want to see if I can try a 2 wheel bike vs a trike.

The main problems I had is I have some depth perception issues, I have a definite fear of falling and obviously hurting myself and I live in a very hilly area. I've even crashed on my trike before and I realized it wasn't a big issue but on a trike you are already close to the ground.

I guess my question is how to you get used to going down hills, dealing with things like branches on the path (how do you know what you can run over and what you should avoid?) and all that stuff? I've googled but I haven't really found anything that can help me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next