| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Lil, do you live near an area that has those rental bikes on the street? Try one of those. They look super stable and close to the ground.

Quote:
how do you know what you can run over and what you should avoid?

Trial and error! Always avoid glass and anything that looks sharp, obvs, but otherwise, try to swerve around things if safe, or, if you are on a busy bike path, yell SLOWING! STOPPING! and lift bike over it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:01 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm thinking that an Electra Townie might be me and they go up to 21 speed. There is a place that sells them that also rents out hybrids (although they don't specify which ones) and they are near the C&O canal tow path which is an easy ride. When the weather cools, we may go there to see what they have to rent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:48 pm 

Townies are a great place to start!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:39 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

linanil wrote:
I wanted to resurrect this thread because I have the itch again and I want to see if I can try a 2 wheel bike vs a trike.

The main problems I had is I have some depth perception issues, I have a definite fear of falling and obviously hurting myself and I live in a very hilly area. I've even crashed on my trike before and I realized it wasn't a big issue but on a trike you are already close to the ground.

I guess my question is how to you get used to going down hills, dealing with things like branches on the path (how do you know what you can run over and what you should avoid?) and all that stuff? I've googled but I haven't really found anything that can help me.

Going down hills is pretty easy, and you can brake as much as you need to in order to feel comfortable.

I tend to avoid running over anything large. Twigs no problem, branch I will avoid. If you know anyone who currently bikes, ask them to go out with you. I found riding with someone who knew what was what was super helpful for my first rides on streets.

Renting or trying bikes out is great. I also think being realistic about what you want to use it for is smart. If you have a lot of hills on streets you'll want something slightly different than if you will be riding on very flat cycle paths most of the time. It made a big difference for me when I upgraded to a bike with more gears. Our streets are fairly hilly.
Email me if you have questions! You can do it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:22 am 
WRETCHED

Mr Nil knows how to bike but he doesn't bike. A few years ago, we went out with a friend who biked and she just wanted to go fast as possible... which for me was like uhh what?

Mr Nil is supportive of me trying again and I'm also thinking of taking a beginner biking class with REI. They have one that they do on a paved trail with mountain bikes (so not for speed). I'd want to try a few bikes before I do that, they also have a one on one class for beginners too, which may be more me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 pm 

linanil wrote:
beginner biking class with REI.

Definitely a great idea! In addition to working on good skills you may meet other beginning bikers who you can ride with.

It’s a drag that your friend didn’t slow down to bike with you.

Look also for family-type bike events like where the city may block off a street for a few hours. Those are super fun with no expectation of it being a race.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:32 am 
WRETCHED

Oh thats a good idea. There is actually a street that is blocked off on weekends (every weekend) but it is also very hilly. So I'll have to build up to that. If we go for a drive, there are also rail trails. I'm also not shy about getting off a bike and walking a hill until I get comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:13 am 

linanil wrote:
I'm also not shy about getting off a bike and walking a hill until I get comfortable.

Good! I do that all the time on my moutain bike and the other day on my commuter. No big deal at all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Indeed. I've definitely done mountain bike rides where I've walked more than I've ridden. No shame in that game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:20 pm 
WRETCHED

I got a Trek Verve! It was $100 cheaper than the townie and it has some shock absorbers. It is white and pink. It is so fun to ride. I did test ride the Townie and it was ok but the Trek felt awesome. My husband was walking with me as I rode but then I left him. I rode on cobblestone and a sidewalk and the sidewalk even went downhill some.

I'm so excited.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
I got a Trek Verve! It was $100 cheaper than the townie and it has some shock absorbers. It is white and pink. It is so fun to ride.

Hooray! New Bike Day is great! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Happy NBD, Linanil!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:51 pm 
WRETCHED

Looking at it, just makes me smile. My husband made a spot for it on the main floor so I can grab and go. After we came home, I had gone on a ride and even tried some things I felt nervous about (bumpy path due to tree roots). Today, I'm feeling a little saddle sore and I ordered some bike shorts but going to ride tomorrow. His bike is actually in the shop because he hadn't ridden it for a while, so I'm riding alone which is fine as I practice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, bike shorts. They make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:44 pm 

Wonderful news! Glad you got the Trek! It will take you more places and on more adventures than the Townie. And this is how it begins! You are now one of us!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:17 am 
WRETCHED

One of us! One of us!

I talked to my husband yesterday because I was wondering how he was so good on my bike. He told me something I never knew, he used to ride all the time, even in snow. I can't believe I was comparing myself to someone who used their bike for transportation on a regular basis, even if it was quite a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:49 am 
WRETCHED

Oh and I went out shortly after my last post. I don't have bike shorts yet but put on a tighter pair of exercise pants and went down to our lake. I didn't want to because it is always busy on weekends. On my first run, I didn't encounter many people but on the way back, I encountered a lot of people, dogs, babies in strollers, etc. One was a group of about 30 older korean people walking. I passed in the middle of them. My mantra was 'keep looking straight, keep looking straight'. Then I went on a path with a slight incline, did pretty well until I realized I was gulping air so I had to stop for a couple minutes to catch my breathe. Went over various bumps, went up slight hills, went down slight hills, stopped when I felt I needed to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's great! It sounds like you're already gaining confidence.

One of the things that always helps me when I'm riding stuff that freaks me out is to look for the "exit." If I'm, say, navigating over some roots, I try to remember to look down the path at where I'm going (the exit) rather than at the obstacles. The same thing works for cornering (look through the corner at where you're going, not at the bend in the path) or pretty much any situation where you are navigating obstacles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:48 am 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
Looking at it, just makes me smile.

I, uh, pet my bike when I walk by it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:53 pm 
WRETCHED

I think confidence is mostly coming from trying to overcome the fear. I mean I figured what is the worst that can happen? Before I figured if I ran over bumps, went down hills, etc, that I'd crash. Now I figure that I might and it might hurt if I did, but other people seem to be able to ride, why can't I? I'm sure I'm more prone to crashing just due to being a beginner and may make stupid mistakes but I am ok with letting myself risk 'failing'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:36 am 
WRETCHED

I've been sick, since Wednesday, which was the day I was supposed to be able to go riding. Tomorrow will be cooler than today and I just plan to take a decongestant and go for it. My husband got his bike back early, they told him 10 days to get it in riding shape but took less than a week. I'm really impressed that my Prius can fit a bike in the back if I lay the seats down. We considered getting a hitch bike rack (which would require getting a hitch). At a total cost of $300, we decided to use my husband's car (an older Rav4) if we decide to go anywhere with 2 bikes. Since mine is more upright, its a tighter fit in the back of my Prius but its doable.

Anyway, my bragging today is just my husband got his bike back and he went for a short ride today. It is really hot/humid so he didn't do too much but he really enjoys it. I'm glad we decided to try to start biking :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:39 am 
WRETCHED

I went out today because the weather was decent, little windy but otherwise good. I had an amazing bike ride. The previous rides last weekend were more terror than fun and today was definitely more fun than terror. I only had a couple concerning moments. I also almost made it up a steep hill on my path. My quads are a bit toast because the path in general has a lot of small hills.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Wooo!!! You're doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:56 pm 
WRETCHED

My abs were really sore yesterday, I imagine it was some of the hills I tackled on Sunday. My husband came home from work, I was exhausted because the beagle is having some 'issues'. I had walked the beagle twice today to help tire him out but I was tired due to lack of sleep the previous night. My husband suggested I go for a quick bike ride. It was getting dark quickly so I put my shoes and helmet on and out I went. It wasn't too dark although I can imagine I might want a light in the coming months. I felt rejuvenated and I got my booty up a hill I only got half way up the first day I had my bike, I went over some tree roots that I had avoided previously, went down a small decline with a turn and finally rode on the sidewalk near our home (I had avoided it because cars on one side). Tomorrow, I'm taking the bike to the bike shop to get something checked, they told me it'd take 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It's pretty amazing how quickly you improve when you start riding regularly. :)

Good lights are really helpful when it starts to be darker more of the time. I totally recommend stuff from Portland Design Works. I have a Lars Rover front light and an Aether demon tail light, and they've been fantastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next