| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:22 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just got my first bike in nearly 3 years! It's just a cheapy refurbished old one, by a guy who knows what he's doing and will fix it up for me if anything goes wrong, so I feel good about that. Mostly I got it to ride home after my Sunday evening work shift so that I don't have to wait for a tram.

I rode home tonight for the first time and wow, I am so unfit right now! Tiny inclines + riding against the wind kept nearly defeating me. I pushed on and got there in the end, (which was tough, despite it only being a few kilometres). It really reminded me how much I hate cardio exercise and the way it makes me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack/throw up/can't breathe. Ugh. I know it gets better as I get fitter, but I've never really stuck at it for long enough to get fit enough that it's easy and enjoyable. I'm a great walker and can walk for a really long time (I think I walked at least 10ks yesterday, for example), do yoga for ages.... My thighs are pretty pathetic, though.
Still, I'll get there eventually! I'm glad this thread exists and I might pop in now and then. You are all totally inspiring to me!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:05 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

You can do it gunk!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Also, it has taken me about 5 months to really get comfortable. I was not riding more than 1-2 times a week for a while and I've seen a lot of progress now that I'm riding 4-5 times a week. I improved almost 30 minutes on my 20 mile ride over the span of 2 months, so even if it doesn't feel like you're getting anywhere, the cumulative effect will get there.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:05 am 

Yeah! I'm sure it will get easier, and I have dreams of my bike one day maybe being my main mode of transport. I've got no problem with getting places kinda slowly, just as long as I'm not totally exhausted by the time I get there. Small steps! For now, I'm just hoping for the end of the panic/horrible feelings of cardio exercise to come soon. Thanks for the encouragement!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

about 2 years ago, I started riding a bicycle again, after a 35 year hiatus. But I have recently developed a problem that is keeping me off my bike. (a hemorrhoid.... ouch!) That's not supposed to happen to vegans! (long-time vegan here) Everything I eat is fiber! But, until it subsides, I'm not cycling. And I really miss it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 pm 

Ouch, Monidew! That sounds really unpleasant! I hope you can get back on your bike soon.

I rode about 11km today! This is a major achievement, given my struggles on Sunday evening to ride 4km. I moved my seat up a bit (it was too low, but I was too nervous to put it at the right height since it'd been so long since I'd been on a bike). Also I was pretty exhausted on Sunday to begin with, since I'd had heaps of work over the weekend (I'm working in disability support, and it can be quite physically intensive at times).
Anyway, compared to Sunday, today's ride was a breeze, and actually pretty pleasant. Little hills and stuff felt heaps easier to deal with. Hurrah for gaining more confidence on my bike! I also feel really proud of myself for managing something like putting the seat up on my own, because I generally really struggle with mechanical tasks like that. But it was easy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ADVENTURES IN LOU TRYING TO DO THE SIMPLEST THING TO HER BIKE AND UTTERLY FAILING. I finally got a wrench to raise my bike seat and holy fork balls the bolts are too tight I can't even get them to budge. Well, at first I tried unscrewing the wrong thing and then realized I was doing it wrong, so then when I tried loosening the correct one I couldn't get it.

In other news, I have an app on my phone that's designed for runners but I'm using it to track how far I ride and how long it takes me, to see if I get any better with practice (and just for curiosity's sake). Yesterday I rode a total of 6.9 miles (to work & back) at an average of 10.5 mph.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

High five Louzilla!

Speaking of speed improvements... Weirdest thing happened to me this week. My max comfortable speed... You know, legs aren't crying to stop, lungs aren't failing, body is generally like we can keep doing this as long as you want toots... It suddenly jumped up. A lot. Like 2mph.

At first I thought this was in error but my times (double checked with my phone timer) and distances line up. Whaaaat the fork happened? It's a good thing but I am perplexed!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

You got stronger! Yay!

I'm finally back on my bike. Clipping and unclipping is not yet second nature with the healed broken leg, but it's good to get some miles going and to find my average mph (14) isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I look forward to getting stronger. I'm just riding flats for now, I don't yet know how standing on the pedals will feel. I broke my leg near my ankle, so riding is both good and bad for it.

But, as always, YAY BIKES!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

(update: wyvern fixed my seat for me. it's nice having a strong man around.)

I agree, YAY BIKES!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:15 pm 

Also, yay for fixed bike seat! Keep on keeping on!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Louzilla wrote:
In other news, I have an app on my phone that's designed for runners but I'm using it to track how far I ride and how long it takes me, to see if I get any better with practice (and just for curiosity's sake). Yesterday I rode a total of 6.9 miles (to work & back) at an average of 10.5 mph.

You should try out 'Strava' to track your cycling speed/miles/ect.

coldandsleepy wrote:
Speaking of speed improvements... Weirdest thing happened to me this week. My max comfortable speed... You know, legs aren't crying to stop, lungs aren't failing, body is generally like we can keep doing this as long as you want toots... It suddenly jumped up. A lot. Like 2mph.

Sweet! Keep on putting in the miles!

~Sz wrote:
I'm finally back on my bike. Clipping and unclipping is not yet second nature with the healed broken leg, but it's good to get some miles going and to find my average mph (14) isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I look forward to getting stronger. I'm just riding flats for now, I don't yet know how standing on the pedals will feel. I broke my leg near my ankle, so riding is both good and bad for it.

Glad you're back on the bike. Being away from cycling is the tough part. Youll be back to 100% soon im sure!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aw Sz, I had missed that you'd broken your leg... that sucks. But yay yay yay for finally being able to ride again!

So I have been doing this short ride home every day all summer, right, the one that is 5 miles but there's always a crazy headwind (10 mph is a gentle day) and it's always like 98F. Through sheer force of will, I have gotten to the point where I can keep a pace of at least 14 mph the entire time (excluding the hill) even when the wind is so hard I have to pedal to get downhill. I have reached a state of misery zen with it, I know where the worst parts are, I know that hill is going to suck and I know I just have to put my head down and pedal and not let my inner whiner have any room to cry about it, right?

The other day, magically, there was NO WIND. NONE. And it was 84F. But I pushed as hard as usual because, habit, and also because I just felt so forking joyful. I did the entire ride, including going up that forking hill, at a 20mph pace. It was awesome. I am still so happy thinking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:37 pm 

Whoa! You are getting so strong! How great is that :)

And yes, my leg. It's much better now and we did a few little hills on Sunday. Little by little!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:57 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

coldandsleepy wrote:
Aw Sz, I had missed that you'd broken your leg... that sucks. But yay yay yay for finally being able to ride again!

So I have been doing this short ride home every day all summer, right, the one that is 5 miles but there's always a crazy headwind (10 mph is a gentle day) and it's always like 98F. Through sheer force of will, I have gotten to the point where I can keep a pace of at least 14 mph the entire time (excluding the hill) even when the wind is so hard I have to pedal to get downhill. I have reached a state of misery zen with it, I know where the worst parts are, I know that hill is going to suck and I know I just have to put my head down and pedal and not let my inner whiner have any room to cry about it, right?

The other day, magically, there was NO WIND. NONE. And it was 84F. But I pushed as hard as usual because, habit, and also because I just felt so forking joyful. I did the entire ride, including going up that forking hill, at a 20mph pace. It was awesome. I am still so happy thinking about it.

Misery zen is commonly known in the cycling world simply as "suffering." Welcome to the club. 14 mph in strong winds is fast!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 am 

badass! avging 20mph is no easy task and a great accomplishment :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 am 
Married to the wolfman

It is really, really straight and flat (aside from this one hill) so once you get going fast you just keep going fast, assuming there is no wind to knock you back. It is the happiest thing.

Yesterday's ride out was SO bad, I was laughing the whole way thinking about how I'd just posted about how great it was the other day.

This will be the third out of the four weeks since I started tracking mileage that I'm going to exceed 100 miles in a week. Last week I only hit 93 or something, because I missed two rides due to my fifth and sixth flats of the summer flat due to forking star forking thistles, my true mortal enemy. The first time, I had a spare tube but it took me so long to change the tire that I had to take the work shuttle to the train, and the second time I didn't have a spare tube or patches with me! (Now I have like 47 patches in my backpack so that this NEVER happens again.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 am 

time for some new thorn resistant tires?>?! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:25 pm 

Ya -- have you looked into gatorskins? They are a little $$ but supposedly they flat less. Also, do you inflate every time you ride? I find that helps a ton.

Hey, I hope I didn't sound condescending when I said you were getting stronger. It occurred to me, you've been strong all along!!! Just now you have the cyclocomp to confirm it. You should be posting in the badazz thread! You'll be racing with Jordan in no time. I can't even imagine how fast you would be going on a lighter bike.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I actually just got a new set of tires because my old ones (that got all the flats) had like 3000 miles on them and were getting pretty sketchy. Today I pulled five forking thistles out of the tires and no flat so far (fingers crossed though, the last 2 were just a minute ago so if they're slow leaks I won't know for a bit) so that's an improvement!

But I've been told by coworkers (and the internet) that they'll go through pretty much anything, including Kevlar (?!) so pretty much everyone just patches and patches and patches. (It made me feel so much better to hear that everyone else has trouble with them, I thought I was doing something ridiculously wrong.)

And no, when you said it, it made sense! Like derp, that would explain it. I've been battling the wind all dang summer and have started lifting on the days that I do my short commute so if I wasn't getting stronger, it would be weird. I was just surprised that I noticed a speed jump so suddenly! I used to run and swim 5 days a week (in different parts of my life) and I never got perceptibly faster at either of those, heh.

Oh man, I am really for realsies going to buy a new bike at the end of this month and I am so incredibly excited.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
Oh man, I am really for realsies going to buy a new bike at the end of this month and I am so incredibly excited.

Hooray hooray HOORAY!!!! Best news!!!! Keep us posted every step of the way. New bike happy time!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Do you know what you're getting?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Because P-cookie asked: Portland! If you're around tomorrow afternoon/early evening, there's a criterium race going on right around Franz Bakery. I'm racing at 3:50, so if you want to see me get dropped, come on down! http://omnium-events.com/franz-bakery-criterium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 am 
Married to the wolfman

Good luck jopa!

I don't know what I'm getting yet... I still have to go testride things! There's a handful of bikes I know I want to try, but annoyingly, no one shop in town has all of them... so I guess I have to go place to place, looking for The One. (But I'm excited about that aspect too.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:27 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

stick around for the race after jopa's and see me pretending I've trained more than I have :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next