| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Woooo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Noob question: when I get to work, I put my helmet on my windowsill with the rest of my belongings, and it can be in the sun for several hours. Should I not do that? Or can it handle that kind of environment with problems?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:54 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

aelle wrote:
Noob question: when I get to work, I put my helmet on my windowsill with the rest of my belongings, and it can be in the sun for several hours. Should I not do that? Or can it handle that kind of environment with problems?

well, they're designed to sit on yer noggin for hours as you bike across the country-side. buuuuut, keep it out of direct sunlight if you can, and probably keep the up-side up!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i wouldnt worry about it honestly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Eric. wrote:
Louzilla wrote:
In other news, I have an app on my phone that's designed for runners but I'm using it to track how far I ride and how long it takes me, to see if I get any better with practice (and just for curiosity's sake). Yesterday I rode a total of 6.9 miles (to work & back) at an average of 10.5 mph.

You should try out 'Strava' to track your cycling speed/miles/ect.

Somehow I missed this until now. Checking it out now, thanks! Though unfortunately I haven't been riding lately, I seem to have forked up my knee slightly somehow and I'm trying to give it a rest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:13 am 
Married to the wolfman

Aw, bummer about the knee Louzilla. I hope it's feeling better soon!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

My butt hurts! :D I've been riding enough to make myself feel it.
(I love my seat, but it's pretty aggressive so when I'm off it for any length of time it takes some doing to get used to it again.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

What saddle do you ride?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:23 pm 

Specialized . . . Jett?

I have two Specialized saddles, one is definitely the Jett, but I don't remember if that's the one I'm referring to. I'll look!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:16 pm 

Ah, I just remembered, it is on my Team Estrogen board signature:

Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I need to buy a new dang saddle. My sit bones are super wide and the only seat I could find at the shop i bought it at that was an adequate width had gel in it, which is fine, whatever, but after 2 years of use, the thing has started to rupture and now it's got sticky gel crepe coming out of it all over.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 pm 

Ew?

The Lithia saddle I got was white but discolored so I got it for 50% less than retail. I was pretty surprised about that. So, it may pay to stick your head in at the various LBSs you have around!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Hold the phone - you have a vegan Terry saddle? I was SURE they all used leather, except the insane cruiser ones that I have no use for anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:59 pm 

No no no, it's pregan, I've had it a long long time. I like it for my MTB so there's no need to replace it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:36 am 
Married to the wolfman

Okay, maybe this is getting to the point where I should post in the other bike thread but... cycling shoes. Talk to me about these. I've been biking in my normal sneakers (some genericky cross trainers that I bought at Goodwill like two years ago) but they're literally beginning to disintegrate so I'm looking at buying new shoes. Trouble is that what I want in my normal life (something super light with a pretty flexible sole) and what I'm reading is good for cycling (something with a rigid sole) seem to be at odds with each other. So I'm kinda resigned to maybe buying TWO pairs of shoes. Crazy.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's pointful to buy cycling specific shoes if I don't have clipless pedals (yet?). Will I be able to use them with flat pedals? Does it um, depend on the shoe?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I wouldn't bother with cycling specific shoes if you're not going to go clipless. You'll get some gain, sure, by buying a stiffer soled shoe, but honestly, I think that if you keep riding, you'll probably want to go clipless, and then you'll maybe regret spending money on non-clipless shoes. When I ride on flat pedals, I just wear whatever shoes I happen to have on, and that's just fine. I don't notice any real difference/benefit when wearing stiffer soled shoes as opposed to sneakers.

I hope that's helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm 

I bought mountain bike shoes before I went clipless, they basically look like sneakers with a stiffer sole and are fine for walking around in. (I do a bit of hiking-while-pushing-my-bike when I am mountain biking)

I definitely got some benefit from them; rode them for awhile, and then when I decided to put SPDs on my MTB, the shoes had a cut out to attach the cleat! So, I'm sure something like that should be available.

I also use the keen sandals with the SPD cleats on my around-town-bikes and they are good for walking around as well most of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:41 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Went on a 57 km bike ride this morning, felt so great! My legs felt like they could go on forever. I was up at 40 km/hour a few times, which is the fastest I've ever been.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks for advice on shoes! I do want to go clipless eventually, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of adapting to both a new bike and clipless pedals at the same time (and a new saddle, because like I said, my other one is on its way out). Then again, maybe it's good to get it all done with at once?

Love Child, high five! That sounds like an awesome ride!

I had the funniest cycling realization the other day. Sometimes I see people pedaling while going down things that I coast on, and I always wonder, "Why are you pedaling on this part?" Guys, I figured it out. It's because some of these downhills are gentle enough that they're coasting under their normal pace. I know because it's started happening to me in some spots. Amazing!

I'm going to test ride bikes this weekend and maybe make a purchase depending on how that goes. OH MY.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm 

New bike! New bike! New bike! HOORAY!!! Fingers crossed!

(Also, go for it all at once. Why not?!?!? If you are swapping out a brand new seat and new pedals on a new bike you might get some credit for the stock parts.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:14 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

coldandsleepy wrote:
Thanks for advice on shoes! I do want to go clipless eventually, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of adapting to both a new bike and clipless pedals at the same time (and a new saddle, because like I said, my other one is on its way out). Then again, maybe it's good to get it all done with at once?

Love Child, high five! That sounds like an awesome ride!

I had the funniest cycling realization the other day. Sometimes I see people pedaling while going down things that I coast on, and I always wonder, "Why are you pedaling on this part?" Guys, I figured it out. It's because some of these downhills are gentle enough that they're coasting under their normal pace. I know because it's started happening to me in some spots. Amazing!

I'm going to test ride bikes this weekend and maybe make a purchase depending on how that goes. OH MY.

You could see if the bike shop will let you try out a clipless system on a potential bike on a trainer before taking it outside. Depending on the store, they may not be able to accommodate, since mounting the cleats on the shoes is a bit of a thing, and they may not want to do it if you're not that serious about buying, but you can always ask. That way, you can kind of feel how it works and see that it's really not that tough to deal with. Plus, if you buy a bike and a clipless system at the same time, the shop might be able to give you a bit of a deal.

You can also just buy a bike with flat pedals and then switch to clipless after a little while riding it and getting used to it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

Totally didn't know there was a beginners thread. I posted this in the badass thread (which I am not).... could y'all with way more bike experience help me figure out what sort of bike to purchase once I have the money? I'd like to use it mostly on the road and really just for fun/exercise; no racing, no trails/mountains. I was gifted a mountain bike years ago which is okay. I've heard hybrid bikes are nice but are they super expensive? Basically I know nothing about bikes but would like to start riding a little more and any advice is helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a ladies' roadster (Dutch bike / Omafiets), the kind of bike on which you sit upright. The brand is Gazelle. I find it super comfortable for city biking, running errands and casual countryside rides, and not doing any sort of speed. But I know nothing about nothing either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Meggs wrote:
I'd like to use it mostly on the road and really just for fun/exercise; no racing, no trails/mountains.

would you want it for like "utility" exercise (i.e. car replacement for short trips - to the shops, etc), or for more kinda fitness exercise?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:24 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Meggs wrote:
Totally didn't know there was a beginners thread. I posted this in the badass thread (which I am not).... could y'all with way more bike experience help me figure out what sort of bike to purchase once I have the money? I'd like to use it mostly on the road and really just for fun/exercise; no racing, no trails/mountains. I was gifted a mountain bike years ago which is okay. I've heard hybrid bikes are nice but are they super expensive? Basically I know nothing about bikes but would like to start riding a little more and any advice is helpful.

I use my bike for transportation, as well as for exercise (exclusively on the road, including lots of hills), but I don't race. I ride a hybrid, a 2009 Giant Transend DX W. I love it but only after having made a few minor modifications: I've removed the deck and fenders to make it lighter, replaced the bulky stock seat with a Specialized road saddle, replaced the handlebar grips (my old ones melted in the sun after a few months!), and, most importantly, better tires. I paid $500 or so for it brand new, and it was entirely worth it. That said, you should definitely checked out used hybrids--a well-maintained used bike would be a great investment, and if you ended up wanting to upgrade later on, you wont have invested too much in it, ya know?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next