| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I went on a nice bike ride in the forest with Orion this afternoon. 20 minute ride under the drizzle to get there (interrupted by about 10 minutes of heavy showers for which I had to stop), about a hour riding about in the park, 20 minutes back. It was really fun; the weather cleared up almost as soon as we got to the park, which meant that there was no one around and the dog could run offleash. Wet sand / gravel is a bisque, though. Now I have a very tired and muddy dog snoring at my feet!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

coldandsleepy wrote:
I encounter a lot of people with off leash dogs, which wigs me out. I am 100 times more scared of hitting someone's dog than I am of hitting a person!

I did this once (did I post about it?). The dog went running out of his front door in the morning and came up to me on my bike, all happy, and then he and I got tangled up and down we both went. It's one of the reasons I am still hesitant about cycling. The dog was fine in the end, and I hope he learned a lesson about staying away from bicycles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 am 
Level 7 Vegan

On Wednesday night right after work: 40 min bike ride to the pool (uphill), 45 minutes of swimming leisurely, 10 min bike ride back home. This was my first time back in the pool since last winter (I stopped when my eczema was really bad). The good news is that my daily commute has definitely improved my cardio and lung capacity, and I could swim much harder and longer before needing to stop to catch my breath. The bad news is that biking and swimming seem to work completely different muscles, and my legs were all "Ahhh what the fizzle, fork you we're not doing that!" Those last 10 minutes back from the pool just finished me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I had the world's dumbest accident, in which I fell *on* my bike (from a standing, almost stationary position... walking my bike up a hill I somehow lost control of it and got dragged down with it - landed on the derailleur with both knees). The point weld on my chain guard broke, so now I have a piece of metal sheet sticking out getting in the way of the pedal. I have to solder it back on before I can bike again. How silly!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aw aelle, what a bummer.

When I first got a pannier, I knocked myself over with my (loaded) bike a couple of times. Like while walking it. It was hilarious.

My weird thing: so I had a dramatic week last week regarding tubes. First I popped the core out of one of my slime tubes while trying to pump it up, then I put a new (normal) tube on and got a flat like 30 seconds later, then after patching that tube, I didn't reinstall it correctly (pinched the tube between the tire and rim, noticed just seconds too late) and it exploded, then I put another tube on and despite being super super careful and quadruple forking checking for pinched bits, exploded that one too. At that point I was out of tubes and mad at everything so I went for a run instead and neglected my bike til last night.

Last night solipsistnation put one of my new tubes (jesus I have spent so much money on tubes now) on for me and while doing so, checked my rear wheel as well. He noticed that the tire has sizable cracks in it. These tires have... less than a thousand miles on them. WAY less. Closer to 500. I rode on gravel once but other than that I've just been riding on actual smoothly paved roads with it. Is this abnormal wear and tear or are my expectations just skewed since I've never had little teeny road tires before?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

What tires do you have, and can you better describe the cracks? It sounds like abnormal wear, but it could be no biggie. (I have seen an increase of some Conti tires shitting themselves via busted sidewalls recently).

Also, my advice is always higher quality tires for flat protection, over slime (I hate it) or thorn resistant tubes. A little bit of baby powder on the tube can help with pinches, also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yah, if you could post photos of the tires and the make/model we might be able to help. Even though you have less thank 1k on them how long have you owned them? riding in gravel/etc shouldnt cause cracks in the tire but temperature/sun exposure could cause microcracking if thats what we're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The tires are the stock tires that came with the bike-- Espoir Sport 700x25 with "blackbelt" lining. I've only had the bike about a month (and it was new when I bought it, and is this year's model, so one would hope the tires are new too).

I'm having a hell of a time getting a picture that makes it clear but it looks like someone took their (razor sharp) thumb nail and stuck it all the way through the tire in a few places.

The good thing is, I have to go in for my free tune up within the next month anyway, so I can ask the store guys about it if I need to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:32 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

on the subject of tyres, I got this email a couple of weeks back:

Quote:
Thought you'd all find this useful. According to a compilation of research people did on the UK based Vegan Fitness forums, here's a list of vegan bike tires:

DMR
Kenda
Maxxis
Michelin
NoTubes
Panaracer
Specialized
Vittoria
Vredestein
WTB
Zipp Tangante

Contain animal products:
------------------------

Continental
Dunlop
Goodyear
Pirelli
Schwalbe

So that means gatorskins really have gators in them! Or more precisely, animal based stearic acid.

Have fun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

coldandsleepy wrote:
He noticed that the tire has sizable cracks in it.

I got some lovely blue tires just over a year ago and then wasn't riding as much while Mr. Sz was overseas, and then the other day I look at my tires and they are full of cracks! I was totally bummed because they are some high performance European racing tires which is what you get when you want blue tires. Anyway, we brought the tire to the LBS and the guy said the tires were probably just old and sitting on the shelf a bit but he assured me they were safe and that the cracks were just superficial.

It doesn't really ease my mind that much so I will probably replace them sooner rather than later and then use these as spares to carry since they are foldable.

Probably this wasn't very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 am 

joshua wrote:

Quote:
Thought you'd all find this useful. According to a compilation of research people did on the UK based Vegan Fitness forums, here's a list of vegan bike tires:

I think that’s a tough one as Ive seen this question posed to tire companies in the past. For me I do everything I can when it comes to food/clothing/etc but when it comes to things like this, I don’t take it into consideration. I do the best I can at limiting any harm to animals but at some point IMO it becomes an impossible task when looking at certain consumer products.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 am 

Eric. wrote:
joshua wrote:

Quote:

I think that’s a tough one as Ive seen this question posed to tire companies in the past. For me I do everything I can when it comes to food/clothing/etc but when it comes to things like this, I don’t take it into consideration. I do the best I can at limiting any harm to animals but at some point IMO it becomes an impossible task when looking at certain consumer products.

Bummer. I just got Schwalbe tires and LOVE them. It is nice to see a lot of brands that make decent tires are vegan, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm 

yeah, I'm running Contis at the moment, which aren't vegan according to that. I'm not too bothered, but I'll make the effort to seek out one of the vegan ones if I can now that I know

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:35 am 

i think thats a great thing to do but then youd have to look into what your tubes are made of, what kind of lube/grease you use, what kind of paint was used on your frame...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:56 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Not to mention all the gnats you eat on those crazy downhills.

Maybe that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:44 am 

Pretty sure dumonde biogreen and Phil Wood lubes are vegan. I know the PW soap is vegan!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 am 

Eric. wrote:
i think thats a great thing to do but then youd have to look into what your tubes are made of, what kind of lube/grease you use, what kind of paint was used on your frame...

well, kind of. more to the point: I can't willingly in good conscience ignore what I *do* know to not be vegan

(i.e. I found out somewhere cooks food that they explicitly said was no vegan sugar. I don't eat there now, but I happily did when I didn't know better)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:34 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I haven't been out much lately but got in a nice ride last night and this morning. Fall!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:23 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

And another great ride today. Lovely weather!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I feel I have made a lot of progress with my riding over the summer, but... today I had to ride with my winter coat (I love my Belden, but it's heavy and generates massive drag) and my dynamo, and urgh. So much harder.

And it takes so much more concentration to ride at dawn & night! I am not really a driver, so it's always a surprise how much more stressful it is negociating traffic in the dark.
(Don't worry about my visibility, I have lots of lights including on my head, and reflectors, and a neon yellow jacket.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm 

the colder air makes riding tougher both for the lungs and due to air density :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:52 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

aelle wrote:
I feel I have made a lot of progress with my riding over the summer, but... today I had to ride with my winter coat (I love my Belden, but it's heavy and generates massive drag) and my dynamo, and urgh. So much harder.

And it takes so much more concentration to ride at dawn & night! I am not really a driver, so it's always a surprise how much more stressful it is negociating traffic in the dark.
(Don't worry about my visibility, I have lots of lights including on my head, and reflectors, and a neon yellow jacket.)

I feel you. I'm not used to negotiating the dark roads yet either and we haven't hit the darkest of the dark at all.

I also have to find some rain gear if I want to keep riding this winter and the women's selection is laughable. I got a cheap asparagus rain poncho that works ok but won't be great for any sort of distance. An all women's bike shop opened here though, so I am hopeful they may get more options but I suspect companies simply don't make anything to fit me. They have some nice rain ponchos that are expensive but I may splurge and get one. I am already of thinking of upgrading my bike this spring so I want to stay out and keep getting stronger this winter.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

I actually love riding in the super early morning/night but jeez, the cold. Can't keep my (very light) jacket on or I'm way too hot and sweaty by the time I get to work. But the alternative is that I freeze for the first 3 or 4 miles.

The other day, by the time I got to work, my hands were so stiff with cold that I couldn't squeeze my brakes. Like I had to pretty much coast the last half mile. Trying to get my pannier open to get my u lock out was a hilarious production that I wish someone other than me had been around to appreciate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:09 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I also need to get some gloves.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Panda, check out Western Bikeworks, and also the Bike Gallery. My bf works at Western, and they have a pretty decent selection of women's gear. You can also check their selection online and request things to sent to the store from their warehouse, since they have a bunch of stuff that they don't necessarily have on the shelves at the store, but can get there. http://www.westernbikeworks.com/ You can also stalk my bf on the website if you feel so inclined!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next