| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

coldandsleepy wrote:
I actually love riding in the super early morning/night but jeez, the cold. Can't keep my (very light) jacket on or I'm way too hot and sweaty by the time I get to work. But the alternative is that I freeze for the first 3 or 4 miles.

The other day, by the time I got to work, my hands were so stiff with cold that I couldn't squeeze my brakes. Like I had to pretty much coast the last half mile. Trying to get my pannier open to get my u lock out was a hilarious production that I wish someone other than me had been around to appreciate.

How cold is it where you are? I ride with just a tank top under my windbreaker, I take my shirt and suit jacket in my bag. I also wear a fleece band over my ears (I have sensitive ears), and want to get gloves soon. So far it mitigates the sweat relatively well without letting me freeze.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:28 am 
Hail Seitan!

coldandsleepy wrote:
I actually love riding in the super early morning/night but jeez, the cold. Can't keep my (very light) jacket on or I'm way too hot and sweaty by the time I get to work. But the alternative is that I freeze for the first 3 or 4 miles.

The other day, by the time I got to work, my hands were so stiff with cold that I couldn't squeeze my brakes. Like I had to pretty much coast the last half mile. Trying to get my pannier open to get my u lock out was a hilarious production that I wish someone other than me had been around to appreciate.

Theres no real way around this unfortunately. You need to start off being on the cold side so when you warm up you have the right amount of layers. One thing I woulld suggest if you are commuting is to wear another layer then shed it right before you start getting hot in it.

I personally really like a vest and arm warmer combo since the arm warmers can be easily removed while riding. Also knee warmers are great for 45-60F range when tights arent needed. Its really all about experimenting but a hardshell jacket will usually make you sweat which can be a real issue when it gets really cold and you have to stop for a mechanical or something.

Also put on some gloves! :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

aelle wrote:
How cold is it where you are? I ride with just a tank top under my windbreaker, I take my shirt and suit jacket in my bag. I also wear a fleece band over my ears (I have sensitive ears), and want to get gloves soon. So far it mitigates the sweat relatively well without letting me freeze.

I like this! I think I'll get a fleece band for my ears.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:54 am 
Married to the wolfman

It's not that cold generally! It was 40 the day my hands froze up which is about as cold as I've seen it so far... Seems like we're settling in to 44-45 most mornings which is tolerable in a tshirt after the first couple of miles. My commute is so short (like 12 miles now) that I hate to have to stop and take something off and then jam it into my perpetually overfull pannier.

(Also, I haven't gone full cyclist yet because I always wear leggings rather than bike shorts!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:42 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Guys! I bought a bike yesterday! I've wanted one for getting around for a couple of years now, and finally did it! I bought it used from this really awesome non-profit bike shop here, so I don't really know anything about it besides it's a smaller frame/lighter frame Giant mtn bike that they put thinner tires on to make it more of a hybrid. But it's purple, and this is what matters.

I'm still super nervous about riding in traffic (though did on the way home today to avoid the giant hill with a 5-way stop, ha), but hopefully I'll get over than soon so I can use it instead of the bus or my car to go to places that aren't quite walking distance.

Oh, and really stupid question. How hard is a bike rack to install? Cause I'm already pretty much at the end of my budget for this, and really don't want to pay to have them do it unless it's unavoidable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:54 am 
Huffs Nooch

Simply_Love wrote:
Oh, and really stupid question. How hard is a bike rack to install? Cause I'm already pretty much at the end of my budget for this, and really don't want to pay to have them do it unless it's unavoidable.

You mean a rack on your bike, right? Not a rack for bikes on your car?

They're not that difficult to install. If you have allen keys/hex wrenches, you should be able to do it yourself. Depending on the style of rack you choose, you might have to spend some time adjusting things to get it set up perfectly, but that will just take a bit of patience, not any specific expertise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Re cold riding layers, I got it PERFECT yesterday, I was so proud of myself. (it was low thirties) Running tights (I do some workouts on the way to work with a group, so I don't usually ride in bike shorts), regular sneakers & socks, thick long sleeve athletic shirt, my neon yellowgreen bike jacket (soft shell, I assume), a scarf and my makeshift hat (my balaclava for when it gets super cold) because I've apparently lost my regular winter biking hat.

I got it pretty good today too but my toes got a bit cold with my bike shoes/toe cover combo.

Simply_Love, it's fairly easy to install a rack, but probably time consuming. I think I got my dad to help me with mine since had more tools available and is good at that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:27 pm 

Thanks, guys! My stepdad has a load of tools, so I'll just borrow what I need from him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been wondering about how to do this cold weather biking thing too. I haven't ridden my bike at all for a few weeks now, but I can't wait to get back to it. I'm glad to read all your tips! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My commute is super short now, but still, layers are the way to go. I've been wearing a fleece and a Burley rain jacket that has underarm vents that I can unzip when I start to warm up. This should work all winter because it doesn't get as cold here as where we used to live. I also have a hat and either gloves or lobster mittens depending on the temperature. I want one of those fleece buffs for when it starts to get colder because a scarf is just cumbersome sometimes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:51 pm 

I managed to bike all the way back to my apartment today! I live a quarter of a mile from the trail I ride to school on, and its all up hill basically (its a 5-6ish percent grade the whole way, with a turn up another hill in the middle to get on the street I live on from the main street, that's also the 5-6ish percent grade). But, woot! And I ran this morning, so my legs were already tired. Probably feeling way too proud of myself right now haha

Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12