| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motivation or kick in the Pants thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

When folks start out a new workout routine, how to manage to stick with it? Or motivate yourself to get up and go work out again even when your sore.. or it's say a sunday?

What works for you: Remembering how much better you feel if you exercise? Self Bribes? Coffee?

Post subject: Re: Motivation or kick in the Pants thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Historically, nothing has ever worked for me but having a workout partner or other source of accountability. I'm a bum.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I put on my jeans to out somewhere and realize they don't fit anymore :/. That's my motivation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:53 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

For me it has to be an activity that I enjoy doing or makes me feel super mega awesome afterwards.
I always take classes. I find that really helps me stay motivated during the work out.
I always workout pretty early in the day, except for yoga, because i like to get it done and then know, that I'll feel great the rest of the day.
In my gym there is a small fee if you cancel your class less than 2 hours before class starts, so I just make sure to set my alarm after that deadline, and that will help me go as well, because I hate paying that fee.
I don't work out if I am sore actually, but I will go again as soon as it gets better.
I love working out on weekends, because then I get to take several classes in a row, maybe even a dance class. Such a lovely way to start the day.

TL:DR: I need a nice combination of activities that I enjoy and makes me feel good, nice instructors who will encourage me when I am there, and punishment(fee) if I don't go.

Also don't be too ambitious at first. Set realistic goals. If you go from not working out to working out 3-4x a week, that can be really overwhelming.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:43 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I lose my motivation every weekend! It's weird but on the days that I don't work out at all i'm like 'pizza soda candy bar never leave the couch' but the workouts themselves motivate me? Also seeing the positive changes in my body from lifting weights.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I am in this situation now (lost motivation, it is cold as fork here and the last thing I want to do it get out of my warm office and clothes during the day to go to a freezing gym) but I tell you, seeing BAD on my FB talk about her workout has been making me think it is time to get back into it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 am 
WELFARIST!

I do yoga every morning (not an option) and then walk, bike or do something at the end of the day. On my own, it's pretty easy to maintain. At home with NatureBoy, it's kind of a chore because he can be lazy and I'm a chameleon. I'd prefer to bike every day (rrrr!) but we often end up walking because of laze or strong wind. This week I'm trying to get myself back onto the bike every day. What helps me ... is remembering how great it feels to zoom through the forest, and to feel strong, and to be so deliciously tired afterwards. (But right now, I'm actually paying attention to how strong the wind is and how much terrible work it's going to be, merp.) Maybe this thread will help keep me accountable?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:24 am 

Yah, so far I've been getting up at 7am, drinking coffee then doing my work out before work. Doing it earlier seems easier for me to avoid skipping stuff but man on days off I like to nurse the coffee and maybe watch tv before starting.But I am a huge jerk and want the achievements so I need to do at least one workout a day, but on days 'off' from my regular program I like to make a custom (shorter!) workout with cardio or something not in my strength training routine as a kinda break. That way I'm at least doing something physical each day but still getting a bit of a rest when I'm sore.

Also being -less- sore today after my work out is really helping me stay motivated and having a digital trainer I can cuss out for being a jerk doesn't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:25 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I think this is a bit more complicated than just finding motivation whenever you do not feel like exercising...

1st you need to have clear goals on why you want to exercise.
Probably even long, medium and short term goals on what you want to achieve with it.
Short and medium term goals should be achievable and measurable, so that you can track whether you are approaching to them or not.

Example of wrong goals: Losing weight, becoming fit, do some exercise, increase strength, increase my physical condition.
Example of correct goals: Losing 3% of body fat in 1 month, in two months from now run a 5km race in less than 22 minutes, etc.

2nd you need to have a good training program that you can follow in order to achieve your goals, once you've the program there is just not skipping it.
A good training program contains different type of sessions each one with different goals and intensities in order to take care about the days when you feel very sore or tired. It also should take your lifestyle into account so that you can always find time and space to follow it.

Just exercising without goals and a plan wont get you anywhere. It is like walking with your eyes closed, you'll probably get hurt and lost. Therefore you'll find many good reasons to avoid it whenever is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:33 am 
WELFARIST!

worldrunner79 wrote:
example of wrong goals: Losing weight, becoming fit, do some exercise, increase strength, increase my physical condition.
Example of correct goals: Losing 3% of body fat in 1 month, in two months from now run a 5km race in less than 22 minutes, etc.

I think it depends on the person. Goals can be useful, but I would find your examples of "correct" goals discouraging and (for me) they miss the point, which is that exercise is something which feels good and (even better!) gets me away from the computer and into nature for an extended period. Turning it into a quantitative "exercise" would kill my joy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

These type of concrete goals are actually less good for me. For me I need the "just go to gym, no matter how long" mantra because once Im there it's all fine. But concrete goals that are measured by achiement are just bad for me because of my illnesses and I just get mad at me for not making them and then I get frustrated and dont do anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 am 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
These type of concrete goals are actually less good for me. For me I need the "just go to gym, no matter how long" mantra because once Im there it's all fine. But concrete goals that are measured by achiement are just bad for me because of my illnesses and I just get mad at me for not making them and then I get frustrated and dont do anything.

You need to make goals that are feasible for you to achieve.

Quote:
I think it depends on the person. Goals can be useful, but I would find your examples of "correct" goals discouraging and (for me) they miss the point, which is that exercise is something which feels good and (even better!) gets me away from the computer and into nature for an extended period. Turning it into a quantitative "exercise" would kill my joy.

As I understand you are using exercise as an excuse to avoid sitting in front of the computer and do something that you naturally enjoy, while feeling that you are doing something productive.... To me this thread is asking a bit more for a kick in the pants and motivation to do exercise rather finding an excuse to do physical activities that you naturally enjoy. (Whether performing physical activities is the same exercising might also be a debatable topic.)

To me (I can be totally wrong) exercising is about performing specific activities with the purpose to improve and/or achieve specific goals. Therefore to support motivation, I stated what a correct goal to me should look like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Things that motivate me:

1. I save my favorite podcasts to listen to while I do anything physical.
2. I do it first thing and as SOON as I wake up.
3. My fitbit and doing little one-day challenges with my friends

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:49 pm 

Signing up for a race! Don't know if I would've stuck with running (now I can't see myself stopping) if I wouldn't have signed up for a 5K with friends.

Also, I think something that is very important is to not let the past discourage you, in the sense that if you didn't exercise for say, a week, you have to push yourself to think that this week is a new one, instead of thinking "well, I've already failed, so I won't go exercising today". That has been key for me personally! For me, it's about winning the mental battle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 am 

Currently finding that if I complain enough about having to work out, I will finally exhaust myself into actually working out.