| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exercise and hair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:09 am 
Hip Goiter

What do you people who exercise regularly and have long and/or thick hair do about it? We've been told not to wash our hair every day because it dries it out and does other damage, but I'm super sweaty at least once a day and that's gross. Dry shampoo is not good for me because my hair is like soaking wet. I could rinse it only with water maybe on non-shampoo days but then my hair is like wet all the time. Also, if anyone does that, do you put styling stuff/serums/oils on after just a rinse? WHAT DO YOU DO.

blog/website
London bakery

Post subject: Re: Exercise and hair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i have super thick hair that's below my shoulders, but not by much. i am also super sweaty at least once a day (thanks to ashtanga yoga in the summer without air conditioning). i shampoo and condition my hair (i use diluted Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner - the herbal variety) every other day or so (sometimes i got 3 days without shampoo'n mah hair) and if i'm feeling icky i'll just rinse it in between shampoo'n. when i just rinse my hair, it's water only and afterwards i use a little bit of almond oil (usually whatever is left on my hands from moisturizing my skin) in it and sometimes i use a little of my spouse's mustache wax on the top layer of my hair to get those frizzies kinda under control.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:41 am 
Hip Goiter

Yeah I think that's my best option too. It's just I'm also trying to take better care of my hair right now and that means experimenting with no more blow dryer...which means my hair really is wet all the time!!! But yeah ugh that's the best way I think. Thanks!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 am 
Hail Seitan!

I have long, thick, exercisey hair too and I wash it every day. I use conditioner sometimes but I often feel like that makes it flat. I don't use any products and I don't blow-dry. I stick it up in a clip and call it a day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

this is the bane of my existence! (i am just a sweaty person in general, and even if i don't exercise, i bike about 2hrs/day for commuting purposes, with a helmet on)

i can't wash my hair more than every 5-7 days, or else from the ears down, it gets very dry, frizzy and HUGE (yay thick, fine and curly hair). this also makes me hesitant to try new products like dry shampoo, because i don't want to upset the balance of my hair! I try to add in some water-only washes in between, but i don't think they actually do anything and my hair doesn't dry fully when it's not clean (?). i have a cycle of hairstyles that go from, "yeah, i have big hair i am glorious" to "i'm hiding my dirty hair". i guess i have no solutions, just want to commiserate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have always been so jealous of those people who can work out without getting sweaty hair!

I can't get away with just rinsing my hair - it always looks super greasy and nasty, but sometimes I can get away with using a light conditioner (like Alba Coconut Milk Conditioner) on it instead of shampoo and conditioner.

Also, I have a couple of microfiber towel-turban things that I put my hair in after the shower and I think it does help get more moisture out of my hair than a regular bath towel would - which helps with the no hair dryer thing.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've always wondered about this, too. It sounds like there's no miracle fix, but I'm still optimistic. If I could just figure out a way to make my scalp not sweat, I'd be all about the lunchtime workouts!

My hair is chin length and medium texture, but it's soaked after I work out. I typically wash it every other day, so I just let the sweat dry on its own and don't feel too gross if I don't wash it after working out. On the rare occasion I work out in the morning on a non-wash day, I blow dry the roots, add dry shampoo, then style with a flat iron. (The latter two are my normal non-wash styling steps.) I guess I have nothing to add to this thread, except commiseration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:29 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I wash it every day I work out, which is pretty much every day. I have a LOT of hair, and I sweat a fair bit, and I've found Desert Essences tea tree shampoo and conditioner works really well. I never blow dry or even brush it. My hair seems pretty healthy, so I'm sticking with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:02 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I just wash when it needs it, usually every other day, and sometimes I do use dry shampoo but very rarely because it really dries my scalp out. I also just shampoo my scalp, condition the ends and add oil when my hair is still damp. Considering I used to only wash it every 4 days or so it's still pretty shiny and healthy looking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I work out every day and I have long, fine, curly hair. I have to wash it after working about because it gets soaked in sweat so it's like crunchy from salt and somehow greasy too. I have color treated hair that tends to break a lot but washing it every day with salon quality shampoo and conditioner has been ok. Then I put my curly styling products in, braid my hair at night, and in the morning when it's dry-damp I unbraid it and let it curl up. If I'm too lazy to deal with curliness I just put it in a pony tail at night and let the tail part air-dry.

Maybe you could rinse your scalp but leave the ends dry if you don't want to do a whole wash and then scrunch it with a microfiber towel or use a diffuser on low heat to get it to dry?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:33 am 
Hip Goiter

Ugh the salty-crunchy sweat hair is the worst!!!

I think I do need to try rinsing the scalp without getting the length too wet, because daily rinses have been drying out my hair. Unless, does anyone have a good light slightly-cleansing conditioner rec? I used to use Wen but they freak me out with all the lawsuits about making people's hair fall out. Nicole I might try that Alba stuff if you like it!

blog/website
London bakery