| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7yo wants to become a runner?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:10 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My daughter would like to begin running. She is 7yo. Neither my husband nor I are runners (I haven't exercised in years, and am overweight with lots of related issues). I'd like to encourage her interest, and she's asked if I would also run with her. Are there good resources out there for young, beginning runners? I've seen things for adults, like the c25k program, but I'd love to have more resources that are geared to someone her age. Also, any tips or tricks for a middle-aged mom with lots of weight on her knees/joints? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 7yo wants to become a runner?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:04 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I know I've seen young kids about that age participate in 5Ks, but I haven't seen resources specific to young runners. I will be watching this thread for suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

It tends not to be recommended to do long distances with children below 11. At school cross country events the max for 7,8 n 9 is usually 1k n for 9,10 n 11 up to 1.5k. This is mainly due to how children develop in early life. Children's coaches are encouraged to do fun games to keep it fun n interesting, varying speeds and activities. If you're going out in the street run to a lamp post then walk to the next can be a good game or doing a relay. Or you could run round the block or down the street then tag your child who does the same, this gives you both a breather be can help build up fitness n stamina slowly. As you both get better it can be good to add in a speed element. Kids love a bit of a challenge n a target to beat.
Park runs are fun to do and some now have shorter courses than 5k which are more suitable for children. Good luck with it n have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

TheKillingMoon wrote:
Also, any tips or tricks for a middle-aged mom with lots of weight on her knees/joints? Thanks!

I am an adult onset runner who started running with a BMI of 30, I think. I really enjoy it!

For me I think the key is really listening to your body and building up strength/endurance over enough time to allow your muscles and bones adapt without injury. The issue many people experience is that they do too much too soon. The book "Running for Mortals," which I found very useful, has a great section explaining how running challenges several systems in your body - your aerobic system, your muscles, and your tendons and joints. While your aerobic system is relatively fast to adapt (three weeks), your muscles take six to twelve weeks to adjust, and your tendons/joints change every 6-12 months. Lots of runners start to feel great after their aerobic performance improves and start pushing harder, only to run into muscle mbalances that can lead to joint/tendon injury.

Some ways to mitigate these issues:
- get good shoes at a running store. They will run about $100 but they are built differently than the sneakers you get at a big box retailer. Also running store employees can figure out if you need a particular kind of shoe if your foot rolls inward/outward (pronates or supinates). The right shoe for your foot will protect your knees and hips and help to prevent injury. Buy shoes by how they feel, not how they look. If you join a local running club, your local running store will probably offer a discount for that club. (Your shoes need to be replaced every 300 miles or so, so track your mileage - there are free sites like dailymiles that allow you to do this.)
- don't pay attention to your pace. Instead monitor effort. Most of your workouts (80%) should be at a moderate effort (you can hold a conversation but not sing a song). Another benefit to this approach - workouts will be more fun!
- instead of training by distance, train by time (C25k does this as I recall)
- in between your running days, mix in a few days of low impact cross training, like biking or swimming, completed at a moderate effort
- increase either distance or speed; not both at the same time. Conversely: the higher the intensity of the workout, the shorter in duration it should be.
- try to not increase distance or time (whichever you are using) more than 10% per week
- every six weeks or so, plan a cutback week - reduce your mileage or time by 10% to allow your body recovery time

You can use a training plan as a template but you should feel free to modify for your own needs. For instance, I am a run/walker; I run 3 min 30sec and walk 1 min. You can modify the run or recovery time up or down, depending on your fitness level, recovering from injury, hilly terrain, warm/humid weather conditions, etc. C25k uses intervals; you can start by using those and seeing which work best for you. If you find an interval that works, you can keep increasing the total duration or distance of the workout and complete it using that interval. The Timex Ironman watch at Target is around $50 and can be set for intervals.

Anyway - those are just some ideas. Sorry it's kind of a tome. I hope there is something in there that is helpful!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Your daughter is a little too young now, but you might check out Girls on the Run organization.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Get a coach for her.
Let her join a track and field team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thank you for all of these suggestions!

For her, I especially like the idea of running between lampposts/landmarks. I am going to check into Girls on the Run.