| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GOALS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Had to ditch swimming, the chlorine was too much for me when I went every week. I'll just run twice instead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:44 am 

As 2014 comes to an end, I am reflecting on the year and thinking about goals for 2015.

I did really well with achieving my goals this year:
studio wrote:

-bust through my PB in the half marathon
-improve my marathon experience -time and otherwise
-improve my crow and tripod headstand in yoga
-find a strength training program I like/can stick with
-the BIG one: run an ultra marathon in June (eeep!!)

I was able to achieve every goal! Although I still working on headstand transition and consistency with my strength training.

What are you working towards in the next year? Here are a couple of mine:
-keep whittling down my 1/2 marathon and marathon times
-reduce body fat % and build a couple lbs of muscle. (This might be a challenge since I am a slim person and I don't need to loose weight but I'd like to improve my muscle tone)
- continue a consistent yoga practice
-start spinning/road biking as cross training
- hike more this summer

What about you guys? How was your year? What would you like to work towards in 2015?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:46 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I want to go to the gym for at least 45 minutes every morning before work. That's my goal! Oh and make breakfast-to-go the night before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Let's get this thread going again!

I'm trying really hard right now to work on upper body strength. I can do full-leg pushups but I can only go halfway down to the ground. My goal for the next 2 weeks is to try to do some perfect pushups where I bend my arms a full 90 degrees.

My long term goal is to do a full pull up. Today I did an assisted pull up with a band and I could only reach my forehead to the bar. So I bought a stronger pull up band and I'm working on some isometric hangs. I can do a 30 second hang now. By next month I'd like to do a 60 second hang and an assisted pull up where I can reach my chin to the bar.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:45 pm 
WRETCHED

I have a few.

1) Hiking shape - I can go on short hikes but I want to go on longer ones, this will kind of have to wait until the weather cools down
2) Full squats - I started working on something this week specifically for helping with squats. My squats are not the best.
3) Overall improved mobility/flexibility - I've been working on this and I know it isn't specific but it is part of the overall goals

and then longer term
4) Running - want to try running again, have to wait a bit
5) Hand/headstand - I really want to get to the point that I can do this. I've seen some plus size yoga instructors do it. I've been practicing yoga and plan to continue on with it but would love to get to the point where I could do a headstand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm going for 10,000 steps a day. It seems to really help both my back pain and my Pokémon go score hahaha. Seriously though, a bit of walking goes such a long way to making my back feel better!

I'm also trying to cautiously add in 15 minutes of gentle yoga to try and regain flexibility.

My goal for the end of the year would be to be pain free and doing 30 mins of yoga a day, so I can think about adding strength training back in. Just have to figure out how to manage L!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

couroupita wrote:
My long term goal is to do a full pull up. Today I did an assisted pull up with a band and I could only reach my forehead to the bar. So I bought a stronger pull up band and I'm working on some isometric hangs. I can do a 30 second hang now. By next month I'd like to do a 60 second hang and an assisted pull up where I can reach my chin to the bar.

I want to be able to do a full pull-up, too. I've been working out regularly since late March (once I figured out my stomach problems was a nut allergy), alternating running with Fitstar workouts. I've been doing push-ups when Fitstar called for pull-ups, as I didn't have a pull-up bar. I got one about a week ago, though, and was dismayed to find that I can't do a pull-up.

I also skip the handstands that Fitstar thinks I should be able to do. It calls for doing them against a wall, but I'm still scared. I prefer to work out alone, so I don't have a spotter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:35 pm 
WRETCHED

You don't have to do handstands if you don't want to but I've seen a lot of people who have never done a handstand do one against a wall. When my husband started, he used a yoga bolster under his head. I'm not even sure if a spotter would be a good idea because you'd probably just end up kicking them in the head. I really, really want to do one of those one day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:22 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Tzippy wrote:
couroupita wrote:

I want to be able to do a full pull-up, too. I've been working out regularly since late March (once I figured out my stomach problems was a nut allergy), alternating running with Fitstar workouts. I've been doing push-ups when Fitstar called for pull-ups, as I didn't have a pull-up bar. I got one about a week ago, though, and was dismayed to find that I can't do a pull-up.

I also skip the handstands that Fitstar thinks I should be able to do. It calls for doing them against a wall, but I'm still scared. I prefer to work out alone, so I don't have a spotter.

I think the thing that got me closest to ever doing a pullup was using bands to assist, like this:
You can start off with as many bands as you need and cut down as you increase your strength.

I just started working with a personal trainer in conjunction with the PT I've been doing for the last 5 months. The hope is that increasing my strength will help with the issue I've been working on in PT. To that end, my goal is to be able to squat my bodyweight this winter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My goal is more pullups as well. At one point I could do 8 or 9 of them, but I've had some arm injuries since then and have lost a lot of my strength, so I'm back to only being able to do about 2.

When I started working on pullups I found that doing negatives helped me a lot. I would use an assist or jump to get up to the top position and just hold it as long as I could until I finally lowered back down to the ground while fighting it the whole time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:28 am 
WRETCHED

JP is right on, I never got to a fully body weight pull-up at my lowest weight but I definitely got a lot closer using bands.

I didn't mention it but how I'm working on my flexibility/mobility right now are two ways:
1) GMB's Focused Flexibility - online program with videos, this especially has stuff for getting better squats
2) RogLawFitness.com's "how to move like a ninja in 5 minutes per day" - It is just a variety of mobility routines, each performed 5-10 times, takes about 5-10 minutes.

And I also have a variety of yoga videos. I bought some from Cody, both Dana Falsetti and Jessamyn Stanley have some really good stuff and since both of them have bigger bodies, it is motivating for me. I also follow Dianne Bondy, who has her own yoga website (Yogasteya).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Sangria wrote:
When I started working on pullups I found that doing negatives helped me a lot. I would use an assist or jump to get up to the top position and just hold it as long as I could until I finally lowered back down to the ground while fighting it the whole time.

Being somewhat of a calisthenics aficionado I would concur with this advice. However one other problem a lot of folks have when they start out with pull ups (or chin ups) is getting moving from a dead hang - best way to overcome this is to build strength at the beginning of the pull by working on bodyweight rows, using either TRX, gymnastic rings or some type of bar. Start out with your body fairly upright & as your strength improves gradually make the exercise harder by making your body closer to parallel with the ground. Personally I'm not a big fan of bands as you are not teaching your muscles/joints to deal with your full bodyweight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Here is list of exercise goals (I'm not sure how realistic they are):

running sub 16 on the 5km (I think this is the most difficult one)
running sub 34 on the 10km (In a good day with good weather and flat course should be doable)

touching my toes without bending my knees (I've tried this my whole life, but for the last 3 weeks I've been following a mobility program and I do not see it impossible anymore)

upgrading the 6-pack for an 8-pack, without losing too much weight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:45 pm 

I'm in the worst shape of my life (not really, but the difference between where I want to be and where I am is the biggest). Right now my goal is to be able to bike to work and back without any walk breaks. There are hills, not steep but long ones, and my lungs and legs are weak! The people who plan public transport in my town help motivate me by making the bus commute really inconvenient :-)