| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Personal Trainer Advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I finally made an appointment with a personal trainer (love to run and bike, but don't do any weights or cross training....it is time). Anything this vegan should know before meeting with him? I wasn't planning on bringing it up-any reason I should?

Post subject: Re: Personal Trainer Advice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No, I wouldn't bring it up. Unless the trainer is an R.D. which I highly doubt there's no reason to take nutritional advice from her. I've worked in some aspect of fitness and the advice I hear from people who are not trained in nutrition kinda blows my mind sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 am 
Tofu Pup

crittergirl222 wrote:
I finally made an appointment with a personal trainer (love to run and bike, but don't do any weights or cross training....it is time). Anything this vegan should know before meeting with him? I wasn't planning on bringing it up-any reason I should?

Your trainer doesn't need to know you're a vegan but will probably ask about your diet. Mine asked about mine in some detail. I think this is generally so they know whether you eat healthily more than anyting else. As fupapack mentioned, they are not qualified nutritionists so not really in a position to give you specific advice. These are things you may want to check before meeting with the personal trainer:-
1) Is the trainer properly qualified? Ask to see his/her qualifications
2) Do they have proper insurance? If you have an acident under their care you'll be pleased you checked.
3) How long have they been doing it, and can you speak with any of their clients? Good personal trainers will no doubt have lots of happy clients who'd be happy to be contacted.
4) Tell your trainer exactly what you want to achieve and ask whether they give any guarantees of results that you'll achieve.
source http://www.motivatept.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I get 8 free personal training sessions with my gym membership and I'm meeting with one tomorrow. I hope he/she can help me make a plan. What I don't want is someone to walk around telling me to use machines. I'd like the trainer to be on board with developing a weight training program with me. Fingers crossed. I hate machines.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

crittergirl222 wrote:

The trainer I worked with was just concerned about protein intake, vegan or not. I wouldn't necessarily bring it up, but it'd be good to be able to talk about macronutrients. To echo what others have said, take it with a grain of salt unless the trainer is also an RD.