| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motivation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm sure this is a familiar topic for everyone. I just wanted to talk about getting out of the Navy and how it has affected me. I got out in November and my back was hurt before I got out so I hadn't done any real exercise for a couple of months before that. I was doing really well prior to that, I had finished 30 days of P90X and I was starting to lose the baby belly. I passed my last PRT with flying colors and did more pushups than I have ever done before (59 military pushups). I tweaked my back one night getting Lorelei out of the crib and taking her to the bed to nurse and it wasn't quite right for a long time. I still have to be careful about my back.

So, I have gained weight. It's not really about that though. I know that's not really what we are supposed to talk about here.

I really want to get back where I left off before I hurt my back last year. I feel like I've gotten into a junk food habit that has been really hard for me to kick.

I feel like every morning I tell myself "it's a brand new day! I want to look great in my 30's!" and then I just do the same thing I did the day before, eat the wrong foods and not exercise.

How do you get yourself out of a rut?

I started a meetup group for military moms here so I could make friends and get out and exercise with the little one. Stroller jogs, babywearing hikes, etc. But, only a few people have joined and no one went to any of my meetups until I convinced someone last week to go from my college speech class.

I even signed up for a 5k a couple months ago thinking it would motivate me to run more... but it didn't. I wasn't ready by the time the 5k came around and I wasted $25. (Full confession here)

The weather is getting nicer here and I went for a jog around the block today. I felt pretty great about it. I wish I knew more people here that are into fitness so I had a buddy or something.

I'm almost at the point of asking my mom to workout with me on Skype...

My husband and I tell each other that we will do yoga at night almost every day and it has happened once in the past month.

Stories, encouragement, ideas... a kick in the pants... anything and everything would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Motivation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

The only thing that's ever really worked for me is being beholden to other people. My team has at least two group workouts a week and we all know what everyone else is training for. For me that makes it a no-brainer, but I know joining a triathlon team is a pretty extreme solution and probably not what you're looking for!

I don't know Oak Harbor at all... do you have any running shops that might have group runs? It seems like here all of them do, most are pretty casual (like, "meet in front of the store at 7pm every Thursday.") You might meet some people who are looking for the same thing you are.

Post subject: Re: Motivation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oak Harbor is a mostly Navy community in north Whidbey Island. It is pretty tight knit since it's island life. But things aren't as easy as they seem! Or maybe they are and I'm just clueless. I offered to become my husband's command's ombudsman which would make me the point of contact for all the spouses in the entire regional command. It hasn't happened yet. It seems like I am putting forth a lot of effort to do things and meet people and get out there but to no avail.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]