| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

If you want to limit your "bulking" stay away from the 8-12 rep territory which is optimal for hypertrophy, 6 and under with heavy weights for strength, 15+ with lighter reps for toning/endurance. Also, if you don't have surplus calories, you will limit the amount of muscle growth. True bulkers are eating a 500+ caloric surplus to give the body the fuel to gain that muscle mass.

Lastly, if you do gain that extra muscle, it is healthy and great for your mental wellness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5zgvD15-M -- silly name but man, do these girls lift!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Jonny Guitar wrote:
If you want to limit your "bulking" stay away from the 8-12 rep territory which is optimal for hypertrophy, 6 and under with heavy weights for strength, 15+ with lighter reps for toning/endurance. Also, if you don't have surplus calories, you will limit the amount of muscle growth. True bulkers are eating a 500+ caloric surplus to give the body the fuel to gain that muscle mass.

Lastly, if you do gain that extra muscle, it is healthy and great for your mental wellness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5zgvD15-M -- silly name but man, do these girls lift!

Daggone--those ladies are ridiculous! That's super inspiring; thanks for sharing, Jonny Guitar.

ETA: Ridiculously awesome, I mean. In a good way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ridiculously awesome indeed! That's so impressive and inspiring. The way they just throw the weights down scares the crepe out of me, though. I can't imagine doing that in my basement.

I managed to snag a Craigslist deal about a week ago - a bench, bar, and 250-some pounds of plates for $100. The stuff isn't in the best shape, and it's nothing fancy, but I was antsy and it was close to my house so I jumped on it. I've used it three times so far and it's been awesome! I've been able to add a bit of weight each time, so my bench and deadlift are at 53 lbs now. Not heavy by any means, but it's progress! I'd like to get my hands on some really small plates (1 lb or so) so I can make smaller increases on some things, but they seem harder to find.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this so much more than I expected to - it's just fun.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

^^It is inspiring for sure and I think it is a great positive image of strong women.

amadabear: micro weights (like 1/2 lbs and 1 lbs) are seriously crazy expensive and are usually in the form of small iron pieces which have rare earth magnets that you can attach to the main weight plates. I would suggest that you either fill a sock up with something heavy (sand, rocks, oatmeal...whatever) and have it so you can Velcro it onto the barbell or dumbbell. Alternatively you can buy some chain (cut to 1 pound lengths) from the hardware store and wrap a pounds worth or links on when you need them. Works great and is cheap.

100 bucks for that is a good deal and if you upgrade down the road, you will get all your money back.

Be careful deadlifts with smaller weights because you are closer to the floor than you are with the big plates you see in those videos. Lots of people elevate the bar a little off the ground so that they are at the same height as when using standard Olympic plates. It is harder on the knees and lower back because you are crouched lower. Make sure you keep that back in extension or you risk hurting yourself.

Lastly, if you want to get real power-lifter, lots use a long length of really heavy chain so, as you lift the bar you are adding the weight of the chain that is being lifted off the floor. Supposedly, this is to counter the effect of the force needed which lessens by the mechanics of the arms straightening. I am no where near strong enough to worry about that kinda stuff but with your progress, you will be out lifting me in no time!!!

Edit: oh, and they are throwing around bumper plates -- Don't go pretending your one of them and throwing the weight down. If you do that with your metal plates, your floor is going to get jacked pretty quick. I am pretty sure you know that but I don't want you to get carried away with inspiration after watching the video ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

Guys! I've started lifting more since I've been doing crossfit 3x/week. Yesterday we lifted and did 1 rep maxes and I got 205lb deadlift, 185lb back squat, and 85lb press. It felt rad, especially because my form felt better/stronger, and also I was only able to lift 190lb deadlift two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny Guitar wrote:
amadabear: micro weights (like 1/2 lbs and 1 lbs) are seriously crazy expensive and are usually in the form of small iron pieces which have rare earth magnets that you can attach to the main weight plates. I would suggest that you either fill a sock up with something heavy (sand, rocks, oatmeal...whatever) and have it so you can Velcro it onto the barbell or dumbbell. Alternatively you can buy some chain (cut to 1 pound lengths) from the hardware store and wrap a pounds worth or links on when you need them. Works great and is cheap.

Be careful deadlifts with smaller weights because you are closer to the floor than you are with the big plates you see in those videos. Lots of people elevate the bar a little off the ground so that they are at the same height as when using standard Olympic plates. It is harder on the knees and lower back because you are crouched lower. Make sure you keep that back in extension or you risk hurting yourself.

Lastly, if you want to get real power-lifter, lots use a long length of really heavy chain so, as you lift the bar you are adding the weight of the chain that is being lifted off the floor. Supposedly, this is to counter the effect of the force needed which lessens by the mechanics of the arms straightening. I am no where near strong enough to worry about that kinda stuff but with your progress, you will be out lifting me in no time!!!

Edit: oh, and they are throwing around bumper plates -- Don't go pretending your one of them and throwing the weight down. If you do that with your metal plates, your floor is going to get jacked pretty quick. I am pretty sure you know that but I don't want you to get carried away with inspiration after watching the video ;-)

Thanks for the tip about DIY-ing smaller weights. I've googled a little and the tiny plates are indeed crazily expensive. I found a forum or two than mentioned using large (2'') washers, which are pretty cheap and weigh about .5 lbs, but I like the idea of using a sock full of something because then I could change it to weigh whatever.

I have absolutely noticed that deadlifts are kind of weird with smaller plates. I watch videos of people doing it and then I do it myself, and I have to go much further down. I have some taller 25 lb plates that I will hopefully be able to use soon, but until then I may try elevating the bar off the floor with some phone books or something, I think it would help.

I highly doubt I will be outlifting ANYONE anytime soon, but I'm having a ton of fun with it. I've turned a corner of our basement into a lifting area and I will happily spend an hour down there a few times a week.

The thing with throwing the bar down - thank you! Rubber bumper plates, that makes so much more sense. I was just thinking about doing that with metal plates and putting a big old crack in the basement floor or something. No thanks.

Meggs wrote:
Guys! I've started lifting more since I've been doing crossfit 3x/week. Yesterday we lifted and did 1 rep maxes and I got 205lb deadlift, 185lb back squat, and 85lb press. It felt rad, especially because my form felt better/stronger, and also I was only able to lift 190lb deadlift two weeks ago.

That is so impressive!! You rule.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Meggs wrote:

"only" lifted 190 lbs? :) I just deadlifted 155 and thought I was bad asparagus! Seriously, well done!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Awesome Meggs, you're super strong!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

emmalv wrote:
"only" lifted 190 lbs? :) I just deadlifted 155 and thought I was bad asparagus! Seriously, well done!
155 IS badass! That's awesome!

Thanks amandabear and lobsterrific! It was a really awesome feeling!
Strange I could do that and now I feel like I just messed up my back pulling vine/weed things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your answers. It looks like I might have been training with just the wrong movements and reps!
C&S, Quarantined, Jonny Guitar, you are wise. It's really a process of taking a different perspective on your body and what it's for - being strong and doing things instead of just looking a certain way. It's quite exciting really!

That video terrifies me. I kept checking they didn't drop these massive weight on their foot, which I'm pretty sure is what would happen with me. Did I mention I have terrible coordination?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:40 am 

Amandabear, at my gym they have these 10lb weights that are the same height as a 45 lb plate, which puts the bar at the right distance from the floor. I am having trouble finding an example on the google, because I'm not sure of the correct name. Maybe Jonny Guitar knows? They helped me work on form a great deal. ETA: They're called technique plates, example here: http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/Lightweight-Olympic-Lifting-Technique-Plate--10lb-pair-Free-Shipping_p_401.html?gclid=CJvS1cnWpLkCFVOe4AodxRwAPg.

Emmalv, amandabear, and meggs--awesome!! And Emmalv, I thought the same thing, but you know what? For me, 115lbs is a hell of a lot more than I could squat previously, so I'm just going to be proud of myself. I hope that you are still feeling proud of yourself regardless. I'm also just up to 145lbs dead lift. I don't know, I just feel like, hey! We all are at different points, but we're all doing something pretty amazing. The body is an incredible thing, and it feels good to actual USE it, you know?

I'm still slowly working my way up. One day with a trainer and one day on my own. I'd like to add another day, but I'm having trouble fitting it in and having a rest day. (I also run/cross train 4 days a week. I could cut back on running, but that's more of a mental health thing than anything.)

Meggs--how is crossfit? It intimidates me so much. Are people weird about you being vegan, or is it not brought up/non-issue?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ndpittman wrote:
Amandabear, at my gym they have these 10lb weights that are the same height as a 45 lb plate, which puts the bar at the right distance from the floor. I am having trouble finding an example on the google, because I'm not sure of the correct name. Maybe Jonny Guitar knows? They helped me work on form a great deal. ETA: They're called technique plates, example here: http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/Lightweight-Olympic-Lifting-Technique-Plate--10lb-pair-Free-Shipping_p_401.html?gclid=CJvS1cnWpLkCFVOe4AodxRwAPg.

Emmalv, amandabear, and meggs--awesome!! And Emmalv, I thought the same thing, but you know what? For me, 115lbs is a hell of a lot more than I could squat previously, so I'm just going to be proud of myself. I hope that you are still feeling proud of yourself regardless. I'm also just up to 145lbs dead lift. I don't know, I just feel like, hey! We all are at different points, but we're all doing something pretty amazing. The body is an incredible thing, and it feels good to actual USE it, you know?

Those technique plates look perfect, but yikes, pricey! Unfortunately not really an option at the moment. I feel like two phone books would be at least moderately helpful, and free, so I'm going to try that for now. Hopefully I'll be using bigger plates soon anyway. But I'm super glad people have pointed out that deadlifting with small plates is weird/potentially problematic, because I'd been wondering if I was just doing it wrong.

You're so right - we are all at different points, but it's awesome regardless of where that is. I'm still lifting comparatively very light weights, but a month or so ago I was just getting past 5 lb dumbbells and couldn't actually carry the 40lb dumbbell set I bought from someone on Craigslist. I had to have the guy put it in my trunk! Not so much anymore. Being able to physically feel yourself getting stronger is a pretty amazing thing. I find it affecting how I think about my body much more than cardio ever has.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm 
Chard Martyr

ndpittman wrote:
I'm also just up to 145lbs dead lift. I don't know, I just feel like, hey! We all are at different points, but we're all doing something pretty amazing. The body is an incredible thing, and it feels good to actual USE it, you know?

I'm still slowly working my way up. One day with a trainer and one day on my own. I'd like to add another day, but I'm having trouble fitting it in and having a rest day. (I also run/cross train 4 days a week. I could cut back on running, but that's more of a mental health thing than anything.)

Meggs--how is crossfit? It intimidates me so much. Are people weird about you being vegan, or is it not brought up/non-issue?
145 is awesome! congrats! I wish I had money for a trainer but I don't, so I do crossfit. I like the group and full-body aspects of it. Everyone is super supportive. I go to a place that has women's and men's classes separate if you so choose, so that's cool (but the dudes are super nice when we do combine classes, high fiving us on weights and runs and stuff). I imagine that every place is different, and I know some people have had bad experiences with crossfit (injury, mostly) but I got a groupon for this place then stuck. The woman who typically coaches the class time I take has been awesome. I need a good trainer/coach/instructor for me to love/participate fully, and I found that at the place I go to. I feel pushed to go past what my limited mind tells me I can do, but not pushed so far that I'll throw up or pass out.
I know that paleo is encouraged at crossfit and a lot of the people do that but it's never been pushed on me. I don't go around screaming 'I'M A VEGAN MY DIET IS BETTER,' though, so...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

ndpittman wrote:

Oh, I'm totally proud of myself! And I mean that not in a haughty way, but in like a "hell yes, I AM proud of myself, its about time I feel awesome" way. Everything you said, I love and that's why I think I've so taken to lifting? There's something really empowering about feeling yourself get stronger. Its also kind of allowed (or at least gone hand in hand) with me changing my mindset about myself and about wellbeing/health, which is really freeing. And I love love love to see more people on forums like these celebrating their successes and supporting each other no matter what level each of us may be at. Its a good thing.

I too am curious about Crossfit. The short, intense workouts intrigue me, but I too am intimidated by the "cult
of crossfit" stories I hear... I picture all of these guys yelling while they jump on plyo boxes with loaded squat bars on their shoulders and women who are strong enough to lift up VW Bugs for their WOD and who incidentally might also yell at me. Apparently I don't want to be yelled at, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 pm 

Interestingly enough, my trainer has been using a strong lifts 5 x 5 approach with some of his other female clients, and they love it, too. I think for a lot of the same reasons you said, emmalv--it IS empowering. (And I don't think that's haughty at all, but I know it's hard to convey tone on the Internet sometimes.)

FWIW I can't really afford the trainer, but I don't know. I'm justifying it by how good it makes me feel. Chris (the trainer) is super motivational. (And definitely doesn't yell; I wouldn't like that either.) It's a lot of, "Are you kidding me right now? That was awesome! You're so strong. Do you know what I like about you? You don't give up." And it does wonders for my self esteem because you know what? I am strong, and I don't give up.

ETA: Meggs, that sounds awesome. Maybe I'll check out the local boxes on Yelp and see what people are saying. Not that I need to spend even more money I don't have, but this is kind of my only hobby, lol.

And amandabear, think of the progress you've made in the last year! (Or since you were sick? Sorry if I'm not remembering the timing right.) Your body is incredibly resilient, and I think it's awesome you're getting strong. Sorry thoughts weights were spendy. I thought to myself, that would offset any savings from the Craigslist deal. I also saw people talk about stacking plates to life the bar to the right height.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

ndpittman wrote:
And amandabear, think of the progress you've made in the last year! (Or since you were sick? Sorry if I'm not remembering the timing right.) Your body is incredibly resilient, and I think it's awesome you're getting strong. Sorry thoughts weights were spendy. I thought to myself, that would offset any savings from the Craigslist deal. I also saw people talk about stacking plates to life the bar to the right height.

It's been just slightly shy of a year, yes! Which is part of why I'm so psyched about my progress so far and why I'm getting so into this. It was only in May that I was even able to start working out again at all, and I was literally starting from zero. Like, it was still tough to walk up a flight of stairs or around the block. Now I'm pretty sure I'm stronger than I ever was before, despite everything that happened. It's a pretty awesome feeling. I also think it's a bit funny that it took nearly dying to get me into fitness. Prior to last year, the occasional walk or yoga dvd was about the extent of my interest in working out. I actually hated strength training and thought it was so boring. Well, the 5 lb dumbbells I used are still pretty boring.

Even though I'm not going to get those weights, I totally appreciate the suggestion! I never even considered that my short plates might be causing a wonky deadlift. Tonight when I worked out I built some makeshift platforms with some scrap wood that seemed to work out okay. It's not a permanent solution, but it got the bar up a bit, and I did notice a difference in how my deadlift felt. I should be able to move up to bigger plates next week sometime, but until then I'll make it work.

So I'm thinking that I'd like to get some kind of squat rack. It's the one thing I can't really do with what I've got. So far I've been doing goblet squats, but it's getting awkward to hold the dumbbell as the weight gets larger and I know it doesn't really replace back squats as an exercise anyway. Craigslist isn't turning up anything in my price range at the moment, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to build something as a temporary solution. Googling gives me loads of wooden options, which I imagine would be strong enough for me for a good while. I'm still considering my options - I might just end up waiting until a cheapish one pops up on CL out of sheer laziness - but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has any experience with DIY-ing that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:43 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Check out church sales too - people love to donate exercise equipment and the church people don't know how much it's worth so it's generally cheaper than it would be if the person who bought it was selling it on CL or their own yard sale. We got a pull-up bar for $5 that way.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Check out church sales too - people love to donate exercise equipment and the church people don't know how much it's worth so it's generally cheaper than it would be if the person who bought it was selling it on CL or their own yard sale. We got a pull-up bar for $5 that way.

Ooh, good tip! There are a few churches near my place, I'll have to see if any of them are doing stuff like that in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

Cut down milk crates work well to get the bar up to the right height for deadlifts. They are strong and you can cut them in a slight V (more or a shallow U) so the bar will go into the middle (same place you picked it up from). The last thing you want to be doing is looking down when you are doing deadlifts: eyes down lead to rolled back which leads to potential disc problems. You need to build something that will allow you to put the bar down with confidence that it is going down in a stable fashion and won't jar your back or roll onto your parts.

Heck, now that I think of it, 2 short 2x4's with an elevated catch on each end (to stop the bar), nailed to a good support structure would work and be really cheap. Even little mini sawhorse would work.

Awesome to read about all your new deadlifting pb's...the enthusiasm is motivation. Too bad I let my machismo get the best of me and hurt my elbow doing to many isolation exercises so I have to do mini work outs for a while. 5x5 is the way to go...all those compound exercises build strength and muscle in so many places at once instead of overworking one stupid little arm muscle. Lesson learned along with new rehab exercises. :-)

NSA will soon be on to us and our Vegan Army Training Academy.

Lastly, I haven't tried cross fit but Alison from Citizen's Radio had a great story this week about doing "blasters" and knocking herself out when she didn't get her face out of the way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 am 
Chard Martyr

emmalv wrote:
I too am curious about Crossfit. The short, intense workouts intrigue me, but I too am intimidated by the "cult of crossfit" stories I hear... I picture all of these guys yelling while they jump on plyo boxes with loaded squat bars on their shoulders and women who are strong enough to lift up VW Bugs for their WOD and who incidentally might also yell at me. Apparently I don't want to be yelled at, I think.
Yeah, I would not go to crossfit if my place was like that! No yelling at people, just sometimes yelling some supportive things, which I respond to.
ndpittman wrote:
ETA: Meggs, that sounds awesome. Maybe I'll check out the local boxes on Yelp and see what people are saying. Not that I need to spend even more money I don't have, but this is kind of my only hobby, lol.
Same! It is expensive but I really enjoy it and I get a good workout. Maybe if you cross-check yelp with a groupon you can get a feel of a good place before committing?
Jonny Guitar wrote:
The last thing you want to be doing is looking down when you are doing deadlifts: eyes down lead to rolled back which leads to potential disc problems.
So true. This is how I hurt my back a few weeks ago! Form is everything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Cut down milk crates work well to get the bar up to the right height for deadlifts. They are strong and you can cut them in a slight V (more or a shallow U) so the bar will go into the middle (same place you picked it up from). The last thing you want to be doing is looking down when you are doing deadlifts: eyes down lead to rolled back which leads to potential disc problems. You need to build something that will allow you to put the bar down with confidence that it is going down in a stable fashion and won't jar your back or roll onto your parts.

Heck, now that I think of it, 2 short 2x4's with an elevated catch on each end (to stop the bar), nailed to a good support structure would work and be really cheap. Even little mini sawhorse would work.

Milk crates are an awesome idea! I have a bunch holding crepe under my desk right now. I could definitely refashion those easily enough and wouldn't have to buy anything at all. And I will definitely be conscious of not looking down!

Question: when you started lifting heavier weights, did you notice your appetite increase? I ask because I feel like since I started I've been hungry ALL THE TIME. And not just on days when I lift - pretty much every day. We ate a huge breakfast about two hours ago and my stomach is already rumbling again. It's insane, because I am not someone who's ever had a problem eating enough. I default to "more than enough," actually. So is this a thing that happens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:56 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yes! You need a lot of energy to lift those heavy weights. And you need a lot of protein to build muscle.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

ditto the hunger sentiments. I pretty much need to eat every couple of hours now. Sleep is another thing I noticed. I sleep way way better than before I was lifting. I could ride my bike for 50 miles and I would have a hard time sleeping, but lifting has allowed me consistency sleep 8 hours or more...in fact, I slept for 11 hours the other day which I haven't done in over a decade.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:03 pm 

I wish this were making me sleep better! I think once some stress dissipates, I'll be able to sleep longer than five hours at a time. Yes to the hunger though. I eat three meals, two snacks, and sometimes an extra snack or two pre/post-workout.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:31 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

What time do you workout ndp? If I lift in the evening sleep will not happen.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 48  Next