| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

EmmaLV, I just started doing that one. I actually did 5 lbs overhead because I apparently can't hold heavier up there and 35 below and holy shmoly, it was HARD!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

amandabear wrote:
I'm not sure - it is a static move, though. You just stand there, but have to use your abs/back to stabilize the weight that's resting on your shoulders....shrug

I have no idea why I typed 'shrug' position; I meant to type 'squat' position. Same as your doing but the front of your feet are standing on a slightly raised surface so you can work your calfs by lower and raising the heels. Seems like lots of core work because you are constantly shifting your weight under heavy load.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ha, emmalv! Thanks for asking about my groin! It seems like it was just a minor twinge; I must do more stretching. Foam rolling hurts so good! I've been cheap about getting my own, but I know that it'll make a huge difference.

My trainer had me work on upper body today to give my legs a break, and it was so good. We did these things where he loaded up the bar and spotted me, and we started at the top, and I had to like, let it drop slowly (lying on a bench, like bench press position). After five of those, he deloaded the bar, and I tried to do as many presses as I could until failure. It was intense, almost like trust falls, only I was afraid of being crushed by a barbell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

ndpittman wrote:
We did these things where he loaded up the bar and spotted me, and we started at the top, and I had to like, let it drop slowly (lying on a bench, like bench press position).

Man, those are tough. There is a program called HellRaiser and it uses 2 sets consisting of 8 regular reps and then 6 with 5 second negatives. 5 seconds never seemed so long! I pretty much went to failure on every 2nd set and had to use my safeties.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

emmalv wrote:
Amandabear, traditional kettlebell exercises (swings, with good form, for example) in general seem to work my core pretty good. Also, in NROLFW there was an exercise that surprised me with its core-ness (new word!): take 2 different dumbbells with one double the weight of the other. Hold the lighter one above your head and the heavier one in front of you (just dangling down), and do squats. Its awkward but your core really works to stabilize the motion, particularly with the different weight. Do things like good ol' planks mess up your stomach?

Nope! Planks and plank variations have pretty much been my entire core routine. I will definitely try that double dumbbell squat thing - it sounds super intense! Also the farmer walks linanil mentioned.

Jonny Guitar wrote:
I have no idea why I typed 'shrug' position; I meant to type 'squat' position. Same as your doing but the front of your feet are standing on a slightly raised surface so you can work your calfs by lower and raising the heels. Seems like lots of core work because you are constantly shifting your weight under heavy load.

Yeah, that would probably be very similar! I just tend not to do leg-based assistance stuff since my legs are already pretty strong.

So I keep seeing foam rollers mentioned. Tell me about foam rolling, PPK. What is the point? Should I be doing it?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Jonny Guitar wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
We did these things where he loaded up the bar and spotted me, and we started at the top, and I had to like, let it drop slowly (lying on a bench, like bench press position).

Man, those are tough. There is a program called HellRaiser and it uses 2 sets consisting of 8 regular reps and then 6 with 5 second negatives. 5 seconds never seemed so long! I pretty much went to failure on every 2nd set and had to use my safeties.

We did 5 second negatives and he would have me hold at the bottom. It was intense. He gave me a lot information about your brain telling your muscles to contract while they're actually lengthening and how it's the best way to do something? Break down to rebuild stronger? My brain doesn't absorb things as well during a work out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

amandabear wrote:
So I keep seeing foam rollers mentioned. Tell me about foam rolling, PPK. What is the point? Should I be doing it?
I'd do it. It hurts but it ends up lessening the length of soreness for me. I also roll a lacrosse ball along my IT band and bottoms of my feet which is even more painful.

On a similar note, at crossfit yesterday, one of the coaches taught me how to use these wrap band things? No clue what the name is. So since my IT/hip area is tight, I wrap upper thigh/hip area with these rubber-bandy wraps (?) and then do lunges, squats, and stretches with them on. It was incredibly painful because they have to be wrapped so tightly, but oh my Lard the relief it gave me!! I'll ask more about it today.

We do a lot of different negatives, too, ndp, to build strength. I like your trainer's explanation of why to do them! They're challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ndpittman wrote:
Jonny Guitar wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

We did 5 second negatives and he would have me hold at the bottom. It was intense. He gave me a lot information about your brain telling your muscles to contract while they're actually lengthening and how it's the best way to do something? Break down to rebuild stronger? My brain doesn't absorb things as well during a work out.

Those sound crazy. I think its cool though that he tells you why you are doing the moves that way. In general, I'm definitely of the "need to know why" camp in order to buy in and stay motivated when someone tells me I should be doing this vs that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

amandabear wrote:
emmalv wrote:
Amandabear, traditional kettlebell exercises (swings, with good form, for example) in general seem to work my core pretty good. Also, in NROLFW there was an exercise that surprised me with its core-ness (new word!): take 2 different dumbbells with one double the weight of the other. Hold the lighter one above your head and the heavier one in front of you (just dangling down), and do squats. Its awkward but your core really works to stabilize the motion, particularly with the different weight. Do things like good ol' planks mess up your stomach?

Nope! Planks and plank variations have pretty much been my entire core routine. I will definitely try that double dumbbell squat thing - it sounds super intense! Also the farmer walks linanil mentioned.

Jonny Guitar wrote:

Yeah, that would probably be very similar! I just tend not to do leg-based assistance stuff since my legs are already pretty strong.

Ah, foam rolling. Yes, you should do it! So its essentially giving your muscles and the myofascia surrounding your muscles a massage. But not the relaxing kind. When things get tight, movement is restricted and you can get injured. An example to illustrate: I started foam rolling when I was running a ton, and I was getting plantar fascitis (if you aren't familiar, the big thick band of fascia along the bottom of the foot gets inflamed and its painful and takes a long time to heal. Anyway.). Found out my calves were super tight, and so that was pulling on some the muscles, ligaments, etc on my feet. Makes sense since everything is connected, ya know? Now, when I feel that familiar twinge in my foot, 90% of the time if I just foam roll my calves it goes away. The IT band is also commonly really tight, and that can cause knee problems. You can also locate and work on those little trigger point/knots that everyone has.

I should do a full body foam rollout more often than I do, because now with lifting, my whole body gets an intense workout versus just the lower body when I was running a lot, but hey. Do as I say not as I do. Seriously though, its a cheap and pretty time-efficient way to help prevent injury.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

Clean and jerks were so hard today at 85lbs. Meh. I'm going to attend a mobility workshop on Sunday at my crossfit place, and coach asked me if I wanted to come early to work on form for cleans. YES PLEASE.

So these are the wraps I was talking about: http://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands.php
I tried them again today and don't think I did it right because yesterday they totally "fixed" my IT band/hip issue for nearly 24 hours! Today not so much. I'll try again tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

Meggs wrote:
So these are the wraps I was talking about: http://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands.php

Doh, I fricken hate being allergic to latex!!! Based on the reviews, those would be perfect for my ailing elbow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 pm 

So, nrolw has this body weight matrix at the end of workout a in stage 3. Is that just supposed to be HIIT? So just cardio? Because I already do enough cardio and have skipped anything that is. (Half marathon training and commuting by bike)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 pm 
Chard Martyr

Did back squats today at 155lbs. So hard.
Workout was thrusters (65lbs) and burpees. I fell on my butt multiple times and started to cry a little.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hey lilianp, the body weight matrix is supposed to be kind of an alternative leg workout vs cardio per se. I think they're worth doing. How are you liking it (the program) so far?

Meggs, burpees were invented by Satan. I feel you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

emmalv wrote:

Truth.

I will throw a foam roller into my next Amazon order, thanks guys! I can definitely see how that would be helpful. In workout news, I deadlifted 158 tonight. I love deadlifting. It is hands down my favorite lift. But I'm glad I don't do it again until Tuesday, because my butt muscles were still kind of angry from deadlifting on Sunday and I expect fresh pain come the morn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:56 am 
Chard Martyr

amandabear wrote:
emmalv wrote:
Truth.

I will throw a foam roller into my next Amazon order, thanks guys! I can definitely see how that would be helpful. In workout news, I deadlifted 158 tonight. I love deadlifting. It is hands down my favorite lift.
Ugh gosh guys I swear, burpees are the worst cardio next to running. I may actually prefer running. I was out of breath, cursing, crying, and falling. BLEH. But it was progress- I just looked back at my last wod with thrusters and I did 55lbs three weeks ago. Even two of the guys that work out regularly with me had issues last night. Perhaps it's a cumulative thing because we all do crossfit pretty much daily. We are all taking today off because it's 400m of walking lunges. Seriously? No need. 200 is hard, 400 is overkill/won't walk for days.

Amandabear, so excited for you! Deadlift makes me feel strong because I can lift so much. I also love the leg workout it provides, if I do it right! Also, play around with the foam roller- I like rolling my back out because sometimes it will help it crack/align and all sorts of stuff, in addition to helping my legs not feel so crazy awful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 am 

emmalv wrote:
Hey lilianp, the body weight matrix is supposed to be kind of an alternative leg workout vs cardio per se. I think they're worth doing. How are you liking it (the program) so far?

Burpees are horrific and I avoid them. (Though I guess they might be good for explosive power in some way??)

I did the first half of the bodyweight matrix and it wiped me out. At that point I'd been in the gym foreverrrr (over an hour? I ended up taking the prescribed breaks between sets I think!) But with the weighted work outs, I did really well! 80 pound bent over row & 35 dumbbells in each hand for the one legged dead lift thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Meggs wrote:
Amandabear, so excited for you! Deadlift makes me feel strong because I can lift so much. I also love the leg workout it provides, if I do it right! Also, play around with the foam roller- I like rolling my back out because sometimes it will help it crack/align and all sorts of stuff, in addition to helping my legs not feel so crazy awful.

Yes, that is exactly why I love it! Lifting that much weight makes me feel super badass, even though my weights on everything else are still pretty low.

The first time I ever did burpees was during a Jillian Michaels dvd. I'm pretty sure that that experience is a strong contributing factor as to why I want to hit Jillian Michaels with a brick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

I've read a lot of things saying that burpees are so great because they work so many muscles and are cardio, too, but meh so yuck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I started Cathe's STS program. Its 3.5 months or 5.5 months if I decide to pyramid. (It is organized as Meso 1, 2 and 3. With Meso 1 you lift 60% of your 1 rep max, 2 is 80%, meso 3 is 90%. If I pyramid I would go Meso 1,2,3,2,1.) I can see that DOMS will be my life for the next 3-5 months! I've only done a couple of workouts, but I really like them thus far. Each of the 36 workouts is different, no repeated workouts, and she doesn't repeat exercises within a workout. I'm stoked about this, because I did p90x and the repetition just got to me after awhile. I just wanted the workouts to be done.
The downside is I don't feel like doing anything else except maybe walking...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

I worked on squat cleans today which are so much more difficult for me than power cleans. I can see that the positioning will help me lift heavier in the long run but the proper form (you know, squat set up and then again to receive the bar) is SO painful to my IT/hip area. Just on one side. I went to a mobility workshop today and it didn't really help like I wanted it to (to be fixed!) but I took away some exercises that could be helpful if I stick with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 am 
Nailed to the V

I am feeling your IT like pain. Yesterday was squat day and every time I was a2g, my hips/glutes were kinda screaming a little until I was back to 45 degrees. I decided to just do light weights and concentrated on form and I found that concentrating on pushing my knees out to the side when starting coming up helped a fair bit but something was amiss. Doing deads today, I felt a bit of the same thing which lead me to believe that I overdid my dead lifts last week and gave my glutes a little strain. I foam roll my hips/butt every day or I wake in the middle of night with deep hip/butt ache that won't go away until I get out of bed and roll it out.

Highlight of my workout was mini barfing all over my Dead Kennedys shirt while really straining on a lift: lesson learned to not have two giant green smoothies right before working out. I looked just like Linda Blair. Oh well, if your gonna barf on a shirt, it really should be an iconic punk rock band's shirt!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Highlight of my workout was mini barfing all over my Dead Kennedys shirt while really straining on a lift: lesson learned to not have two giant green smoothies right before working out. I looked just like Linda Blair. Oh well, if your gonna barf on a shirt, it really should be an iconic punk rock band's shirt!

This shouldn't make me laugh, but it did a little. Puking on a Dead Kennedys shirt because you're lifting weights so hard is like... hilariously badass.

I'm starting to dread bench press days. I'm still stuck in the increase/fail/deload/increase/fail loop of frustration. I just cannot get past 73 lbs with any regularity. If I go though this loop one more time, I think I'm going to drop down to 3x5 just for this lift. Maybe that will help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Jonny Guitar wrote:

Ha ha, this is a great and disgusting visual! (Not to laugh at your misery)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

I guess I'll just ice and roll then? It's super uncomfortable in squats, so therefore also in thrusters...cleans...
Which is frustrating because I just want to practice and yet it's... ouchie. Not awful, but I want to try to help it before it gets awful I guess, huh? Argh!

Good luck with the press, amandabear!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 44  Next