| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I worked out twice this week - not the three I had hoped - but I'm starting up again this week with a goal of three days of lifting. I was lounging around today watching TV and I think I pulled a muscle in my shoulder. How sad is that?! I need to get back to work strengthening these muscles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:52 pm 
WRETCHED

Emmalv, yeah the workouts are posted weekly. There are other previous breaking muscle programs too on their site

I did my weight workout today which started with deadlifts. I haven't done serious deadlifts in a long time and it was 3 reps x 5 sets so I started with 115, which wasn't bad so then I went to 135 for the last 4 sets. I ended up failing on the last rep of the last set. This is much lighter than I used to do with deadlifts but I know I can get back to where I was.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think I'm going to try Simply Shredded next although probably after I use the personal training sessions in a couple weeks. (I've got 7 more workouts with NROLW)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Blarrrgh, my workout today was terrible. I literally could not do my squats. I have trouble hitting depth on the best days, but today I just couldn't get there. Box, no box, high bar, low bar, wide stance, narrow stance - didn't matter. My hips or whatever were just like, NOPE. Everything felt super awkward and terrible and I kept getting lightheaded and it was incredibly frustrating.

Question - what kind of shoes do you guys squat in? I do all my lifting in chucks, but I know there are olympic squat shoes and I've been wondering about them. Obviously I want to be able to squat properly regardless of shoe, but the couple of times I've tried squatting with small plates under my heels or in flat boots with a slight block heel, it's felt significantly better, so I'm curious.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 pm 

I've been using running shoes, unfortunately. I just dug out my knock off chucks to try those out. It seemed pretty good! I'm going to have to practice with these shoes because my heels didn't quite know what to do anymore. Definitely more attuned to how my feet are on the ground which is REALLY good.

I'm going to have find more knock offs because these ones are falling apart.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:21 pm 
WRETCHED

What is simply shredded?

Realistically, you'd want a flat shoe. I used to use Inov-8s for lifting but like today, I used running shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm 

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

It was linked upthread and I think on fitocracy as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I use Vans (basically chucks but cooler because they have skulls all over them). I don't think that there is anything wrong with blocking your heels until your flexibility improves -- some people's physiology means that they will always need heal blocks.

Gave shoulder 10 days to get better but no progress. I went to Dr. today and she suspects I separated my shoulder, or if not I tore my RC...but is pretty certain it is separated. Xray today, Ultrasound in 10 days, arm in a sling for a week or two while waiting for results...no lifting, no guitar, no piano, no movement all if possible. So basically, I have created a great way to cure my Tennis elbow!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny, that's terrible! Ouch. I hope it feels better soon!

I found a pair of vegan squat shoes, but they're not cheap ($150) and I have some dental work I need to save up for, so I'll be sticking to small plates under my heels for a while - I've been trying like hell to improve my flexibility, but it seems like a long road.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 pm 

Oh jeez, Jonny Guitar! I hope it heals quickly?? I've never heard of that kind of injury before. Does it heal on its own?

Amandabear, good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

oh no, johnny! while it sucks to not do anything, it's the best thing in the long run. as a ref, i've seen too many people hurt themselves again and more seriously when they try to come back from an injury before they're ready :(

i'm not sure if it was the best thing to do (we'll see how the quads/hamstings feel tomorrow), but i lifted after my first-roller-derby-practice-of-the-season yesterday and hit a new weight for deadlifts and pullovers (120 and uhh 14lbs, respectively). i didn't think practice was that taxing but when i went to do some lunges, my quads were like, 'oh hell no.' lifting has definitely helped in some aspects though, like i can pretty much pop up instantly whenever i fall, and it's not as jarring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm 

That's awesome postnothing! And I'm super impressed by your deadlift.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm 
WRETCHED

The simply shredded program looks good, I may do it in a few weeks after my current program.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. Not sure how long it takes to heal until xray results because there are 6 different levels of separation and 3 usually need surgery. I am obviously hoping I have a minor version that is a quick healer. I will be lifting vicariously through everybody here so I expect everybody to increase there loads by 15% to make up for my failings :-)

I really wish I had a weight vest so I could at least still squat/lunge. On second thought, I think the weight on the collarbone would exacerbate the injury, so I guess I am truly not going to do anything but exercise bike for a couple of weeks. Should be weird.

I am now going to get drunk (left handed) and get all my poor me's out of my system to awake with a good attitude about this on the morrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:27 pm 

Jonny Guitar, I lifted for you AND my partner (who has a kink in his neck or something weird). I'm worn out. So. Tired.

Didn't (couldn't) up the weight on my DL anymore today so I think 150 is really really close to my 1 rep max if it isn't actually my 1RM.

It was my first deadlift (full, as the first exercise) in my fake converses. Definitely interesting. The squats w/heels raised on plates made much more sense in flat shoes. It was essentially what I'd been doing without the plates under my heels in my running shoes only more stable.

I'm pooped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

lillianp wrote:
It was my first deadlift (full, as the first exercise) in my fake converses. Definitely interesting. The squats w/heels raised on plates made much more sense in flat shoes. It was essentially what I'd been doing without the plates under my heels in my running shoes only more stable.

Hate the neck kink...I used to get it twice a year for a day or two and it was such a pain in the.....well it made easy things difficult and awkward.

The best thing about the converse route is you can feel more accurately where the weight is being transferred to the floor because of the complete lack of squish. I find it really easy to keep track of the weight being on the outside of foot and heavy on the heel using chuck style. I would like to have lifting shoes but I don't have extra cash lying around for special lifting shoes and frankly, I think it would be overkill for the weights I am heaving around.

Shoulder UPdate: Doctor was on crack because, according to google, nothing I told her lines up with separated shoulder....and today, the xray results said no separation. So 9 day wait for ultrasound for torn rotator cuff -- which the symptoms all led me to believe I had suffered. Fingers crossed it is an light one that heals easily.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm 
WRETCHED

I hope it heals quickly Jonny!

I had such a good workout today. I did day 3 of the Strength and Conditioning workout from Breaking muscle. Power cleans are something I missed. I used to be able to do a lot more weight but I'm just getting back into it so the heaviest I did was 65 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm keepin' my fingers crossed for ya Jonny....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ing_squats

More squat talk! I think I need to do a closer read for myself.... I noticed my hip flexor the other day, and the fact that ankle mobility, or lack thereof, seems to be related is something I can buy - why do I totter around in heels all day?! Definitely feeling like I have a date with the foam roller.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/olympic_vs_powerlifting_squats

Great article. Thanks for the link. I have gradually been moving into the olympic style without even knowing it. I will give it another read before I get back to lifting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:23 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I feel like Olympic would be more comfortable for me if I could get my ankles to cooperate. I prefer a narrower stance (much wider than shoulder width hurts my knees), high bar is more comfortable, and I like to keep my torso as upright as possible, but I can't seem to get my body to do the actual sinking into the squat motion of Olympic squats and I definitely can't get low enough. I immediately want to sit way back and I reach a certain point where I just kind of tip backwards. The article gets it right - I sit at a desk most of the day, and am guilty of loving a good high heeled boot (hey, I'm 5' tall). I've been box squatting with a mostly low bar placement in the mean time, but I have another session with the trainer this weekend, so I'm going to see if she can give me some tips or exercises to do to help increase my mobility so I can transition to Olympic squats eventually. It's frustrating because everything else is humming along but my squats are just abysmal and uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:13 pm 
Impressive boner

I use some synthetic material Adidas lifting shoes. They're great for stability but after using them for six months I still get cramp in my feet. Maybe it's an arch support issue.

My traps are achy and are making popping crepitus noises when I do presses with my right arm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ooh, thanks for the tip - those are way cheaper than the other synthetic pair I found.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pretty meh workout tonight. My sudden inability to squat continues. A few weeks ago I was able to start using the lowest side of my squat box, but the last couple of times I've worked out, I just can't get there. I tip back and plop onto the box. So I had to use a higher side, and even then my squats felt awkward and shitty. I don't know what's going on but I do not like it.

New PRs on overhead press (63 lbs) and deadlift (208 lbs) though. Both felt harder than they should've, but they got done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

Supposedly inov-8's (like linanil said) are awesome for lifting. I lift without shoes until I can get good shoes, because my running shoes shift my stance toward my toes.

I feel super weak still! I did today's workout at 65lbs (5 rounds, snatches, with 200m run in-between) and probably could've gone heavier. I haven't been super consistent with lifting and working out and I'm bummed about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 44  Next