| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Haha, thanks! It felt pretty awesome. I'm excited to go for 106 next cycle. I'm deloading this week and between my job being crazy and the ridiculous heat we're having, I feel zero percent like doing my usual workouts, even at lower weights. Bleh.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have no idea what the Smith bar weighs but know it helps you "cheat" in a sense, so I guess I'm going to exclude it from my weight-tracking when I use it. Anyway, with that methodology, I managed 2 reps at 140 at the "top" of my pyramid set yesterday, so I was pretty pleased. The smith machine back squat feels like a newer lift to me since I've never been able to just use as much weight as I want to in a squat, so it feels good experience fast progress again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I found out the smith bar at my gym weighs 20 pounds, so with that count its an official bodyweight+ squat, and I'm gonna take it. Next step will be loading 2 of the 45lb plates on each side, because the big plates look bad asparagus :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awesome, emmalv! I'm supposed to squat tonight but I'm not really looking forward to it. I had a bit of a botched wisdom tooth extraction yesterday (it was pretty badly infected so they only got it like half-extracted and now I have to take antibiotics for a week and go back in to do it all over again, hurray, also I think they hit a nerve in my tongue because half of it is still numb 32 hours later) and between the pain and the massive swelling (plus, bonus, it's that time of the month) I'm just wiped out. If I wasn't already coming off a deload week I'd probably skip it altogether, but since I am I think I'm going to give it a shot. This may be the night I follow the "I'm not doing jack shiitake" plan from the 5/3/1 book, though - just the main lift and nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I am still doing body-weight only squats/deadlifts. I have like zero mobility for squats-I can't even get to parallel and stay near upright. I did some upper body work (lat pull down/incline chest press/ohp/bent over rows). Surprised myself with the pull downs-the 50 pounds were relatively easy at 2 by 10!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

amandabear, that seems like a list of good reasons to take a night off...better than losing form and hurting yourself.

lillianp, those pull downs are are a good sign you are getting closer to the elusive pull-up.

I did some narrower stance box squats Tues for the first time instead of my usual deeper ones with wide stance. Wow, my quads are killing me! Usually my quads feel fine but my hamstrings and butt hurt. I think I am going to start mixing them up a bit because they really are two completely differently things.

Shoulder is almost there!!! Whoo Hooo. I would say I have about 85% mobility now (doesn't seem like much as a number but it is way way better). Shocked at how long this has taken. When I get back I am only doing the 6 exercises: Squat/Dead/Bench/Military (to the ears only)/Rows/Pull Ups. Just the bare essentials so I don't over stress anything again....okay, maybe some single legged deadlifts too and ab stuff. In the mean time, I lost about 20 lbs of muscle since Dec, so it is Newbie gain time again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:06 pm 

YOU GUYS. I deadlifted NINE pounds today! NINE! I am off the bodyweights (for now). woohoooooooo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Lillianp that's so exciting! And Johnny, I'm glad to hear your shoulder is almost back to full strength!

I did not take the night off, but I didn't do as much as normal either. I kept squats at weights I've done before and skipped out on most of my accessory stuff, and it went fine. I'm feeling much better today (minus my face of course, which is still swollen and terrible... I look like Sloth) so I'm hoping I can jump back in tomorrow for deadlifts and OHP with more energy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm glad our injured comrades are making headway into recovery :)

Amandabear, I don't know how you sucked it up and actually lifted. Reading your post made me want to lay (lie? someone tell me which it is, I never know that one) down and escape the world. You are a stronger woman than me... I'm just glad you didn't end up hurting yourself, all that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Is your tongue numbness gone I hope? that would drive me insane.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:38 pm 

12 pound deadlifts today! And 10 lb dumbbells with squats and lunges. I'd agree with emmalv, I dunno if I could have pushed through that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Haha, it was not so bad! Not the best night, but I knew what not to push. My tongue is still numb, alas. It is super annoying. I went back this morning and had the damn tooth actually removed this time, so now I get to do the healing thing all over again. I usually deadlift on Fridays, but I figured (correctly) that I'd feel too shitty to do so tonight, so I did OHP and deadlift yesterday instead. New deadlift rep PR - 240x5 - but OHP just does not want to progress much, if at all.

Lillianp, I'm glad you're making progress! There'll be a 0 on the end of that deadlift before too long.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

As always, I shake my head in admiration at amandabear's deadlifting prowess. And Lillianp, yay! Is it hard to not rush into how you were lifting before? This would be my fear - I'd totally do that and keep myself at square one.

No real news lifting here, but my kettlebell instructor noted that she was probably going to have to buy heavier ones since for some moves since I'm on her heaviest weight. : )

Oh, and I got a myofascial massage. Anyone ever heard of it? Same concept as foam rolling but not nearly as hellish. I decided to go because no amount of rolling and stretching was helping my hip - it was always a 2 on the 10 point scale, so not painful, but enough for me to just know it was there. Anyway, as soon as she was done it was like the heavens parted and angels sang - I could actually move my hips. Before she started my left leg appeared shorter by about an inch and afterwards everything was the same, so she managed to loosen up something I guess. And she also told me my pelvis on the left side (side with the issue) sits high and forward, my IT bands are crazy tight, and my tailbone tucks under instead of naturally curving out, so she is going to try and work on "releasing" it. So I have issues, lol. I think I'm going to try and go every month/other month to see if she can get my pelvis realigned and my sacrum to sit right, and then we'll start talking about my shoulder I had surgery on....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 pm 
Impressive boner

Went to a group kettlebell sport training session this morning where I did 4 sets each of jerk and snatch and then some farmer holds. It was super sweaty in our humid, stormy weather but I managed to lift between 4 and 5 tonnes cumulatively. I'm sure I'll feel it on Monday.

Mr8 wants to learn to lift so I guess I'll be doing more deadlifts, rows, squats and OHPs from now on with him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:21 am 

emmalv, I'm only lifting weight under my PT's supervision and she's directing the weight I'm lifting so I'm just pretending I'm not lifting weights if I'm not at PT. (I do bodyweight squats/DLs at home)

Having a hard time discerning if the added weight/reps caused backpain on Saturday or the 10-11 hours spent sitting down w/almost no moving around caused backpain on saturday. Grrr.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Are you feeling better lillianp? When I read that I thought 10-11 hours of sitting would definitely not help...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Eep, yeah, sitting down all day always leaves me feeling crappy. Hopefully you're feeling better!

I've been slowwwwwwly adding weight to my squats - I'll be going to over 100 lbs for the first time in many many months tonight! What is it about 103 lbs that seems so heavy when 98 doesn't?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:26 pm 

My lower back is still definitely sore enough that it's annoying but I haven't really done any of my exercises and it's not super sore to sit with for most of the day if I stay seated through out the day.

I dunno.

Amandabear, hope your squats go well!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My squats did go well, thank you! Tonight was OHP/deadlift - OHP continues to progress at a frustratingly glacial pace (77x2), but I got a new deadlift PR - 253x3! - which is a rep and weight PR. So that was pretty cool.

How's your back feeling, lillianp?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 am 
Saggy Butt

Progress with OHP has always been glacially slow for me, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Congrats on killing those DL PR's Amandabear. OHP progression is ridiculously slow for me as well. I think I can do a couple at 70, and that's it. Its been awhile that I've done those. What program are you running again Amandabear?

I've been concentrating on glutes, core, and chinup-related work lately, so not really following a heavy back to basics program, and I'm kind of itching to... What to do what to do. Anyway, since I now have access to a lat machine that's kind of fun for measuring some back strength progress. I generally favor DB in lieu of machines, but I like that the lat pulldown and the cable pull machine really let me concentrate on recruiting and the back muscles. Right now I'm at 3 sets 8-10 reps of 90 lbs for wide pulldowns, and 110 for what I call chinup style pulldowns. And I think I'm ready to step it up, I'm just not sure if I'll be able to go up a whole 10 lbs yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks! I'm running Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 - I'll finish up my 6th cycle next week. (Each cycle is 4 weeks.) I'm not using the percentages for squats yet, though, because I haven't maxed out on a linear progression there yet. It's been working pretty well, I think, though progression is a bit slower since you only add weight once a month. I was stalling out on most lifts before, though, so I'm happy with slow progress.

I know OHP is the slowest to progress for everyone, so it's not surprising, but gah, so frustrating! It's the only lift I've had to step a cycle back on so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:12 pm 

My back is slightly better now!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:09 pm 

I should add, since I was distracted earlier, that my back is still not as happy as it has been, but at the very least it's a little better. I went to yoga today and tried to focus on form and holy moley, I've lost so much flexibility. I also did my normal stretches and strengthening and swam several laps, so I'm hoping that helps with making my back feel better. Hamstrings are still super tight though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I checked out 5-3-1 and I like that it calcs from your 1 RM and I like that it is flexible. I think I'm going to base my strength workouts around this on a go-forward. Just start the set with 1 of the 4 lifts and then do my Strong Curves adapted workouts as the "accessories," with some adjustments of course.
I really want to improve these main lifts and this seems like a good way to accomplish that. Do you follow the accessory lifts as laid out in his website (or as in T-nation, that's where I ended up reading about it) or do you just do your own thing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've stopped doing mobility work as often as I should, and I've noticed a creeping loss of flexibility as well. Gotta get back on that.

Emmalv, I kind of freestyle the accessory work - I'd love to do the pull-ups (or, you know, try to do the pull-ups) and dips that he suggests so strongly, but I don't have a pull-up bar or any way to do dips properly. So I just try to pick 3-4 accessory lifts for each day, and I'll change them up sometimes depending on how I feel/how it seems to be working. Lately I've been doing:

Squat day: RDL, inverted rows, plank, side plank, sometimes farmer's walks (using 35 lb grip plates at the moment)
OHP/deadlift day: one-arm dumbbell rows, band pull aparts, band face pulls, front squat iso holds, close grip bench (though I think I'm going to stop doing these, I've had some elbow soreness), sometimes OHP 21s with just the bar
Bench day: Tricep extensions, band pallof presses, stability ball ab rollouts, sometimes farmer's walks, sometimes inverted rows

Sometimes I keep OHP and deadlift on separate days, and in that case I just divide the accessory stuff accordingly. Honestly I'm not sure how appropriate my choices even are, but... that's what I've been doing, anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next