| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:15 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Amandabear, that's essentially what I had (with the delightful add-on of a out-of-alignment pelvis). It takes a long time. If I were you, I'd wait for several weeks and before adding upper body or bodyweight work, do a lot of core work. (I know you've mentioned before about core-something about abdominal surgery?) It helps a LOT and it's really important to keep strengthening the muscles around the strained muscle as well as that strained muscle before using them to support heavier lifting.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:18 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm still reading through this thread but we have a pull up bar in my apartment and I'm dead set on being able to do pull ups. I try every day to get a little further and further. Does anyone have any tips on pull ups for beginners? I've been reading safety stuff online because I feel like a pull up is a good way to fork yourself up if you don't do it properly.

Also, any recommended workouts for core strengthening? Sorry if these have been brought up before. Like I said, I'm still reading through this thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Mr. S, I've read that doing a reverse pull up can help. So you have to jump up to the bar and reverse yourself down. Also, some people use bands to help build up the strength. (You'd loop the band into the pullup bar and stand on it)

For core strengthening, planks are awesome. You can do a variety of them, with 1 foot up, with hands on a ball (think basketball/medicine ball), with feet elevated. And then there are side planks. Also things like supermans are good too.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

lillianp wrote:
Amandabear, that's essentially what I had (with the delightful add-on of a out-of-alignment pelvis). It takes a long time. If I were you, I'd wait for several weeks and before adding upper body or bodyweight work, do a lot of core work. (I know you've mentioned before about core-something about abdominal surgery?) It helps a LOT and it's really important to keep strengthening the muscles around the strained muscle as well as that strained muscle before using them to support heavier lifting.

Yeah, I had open abdominal surgery a few years ago, which created some complications. I have to stick to core work that's more like planks and palloff presses instead of crunches or anything like that - direct strain to the abs increases hernia risk, which is already higher since there's a weak spot running up my entire abdomen. It also just means I have a weaker core, which makes anything that requires a braced core (like squats... and everything) more challenging. I wouldn't be surprised if the muscular imbalance contributed to the back sprain.

Anyway - it's been about 2 1/2 weeks now, and the pain is largely gone. I got back in the gym for the first time yesterday (the only exercise I've been doing since it happened is walking), but I didn't do any real lifting, just a little bit of bodyweight stuff and some kettlebell presses. My back felt kind of tight/stiff, and I did have a little soreness after, but no pain, and no pain today either. I definitely don't plan to push it, though. I have an appointment with a physical therapist on Monday, and I'm hoping that'll give me a solid plan for keeping this from happening again.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Speaking of backs, sore back muscles are a unique feeling. Like, when my arms or legs are sore from a workout, it feels like...they're sore from a workout. Yesterday was a back day mostly (gym was closed on Monday so i'm just kind of forking around this week) and today it feels like I slept wrong on every part of my back.

Now that I know what i'm doing, i'm increasing my weights on things. This week I did 50 pound squats on the smith machine, 50 pounds on the deadlift machine, and 50 pounds on the leg press. That's up from 20, 20, and 30 respectively. All were challenging but doable. I wish I knew how much the bars weighed though, like the leg press alone probably weighs 30 pounds before you add weights. Same with the deadlift machine.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

How do you guys stay focused? I always get bored soon after I begin. I like cardio because you're constantly doing stuff and can listen to music and zone out. I don't feel the same about weightlifting.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:04 pm 

Ingest a shitload of caffeine, listen to pumped up music, wait for the adrenaline to kick in.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:59 pm 

Focus has definitely been drifting for me recently, probably because I switched to the morning. I think upbeat/intensive music helps.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I figured I should pop in and say my lifting days are on hiatus for at least 12 weeks. I decided the mechanics are just not working anymore at 34 weeks pregnant and I have earned a break.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I actually have very little trouble staying focused when lifting. It's extended cardio that bores me to tears. I do get antsy to change up programs more often than is probably beneficial, though.

Not that I'm lifting anything at the moment. My back feels mostly better, though. I've gone to a few physical therapy sessions and been given a regimen of one million and one stretches/exercises to do every day. According to the PT, my strength is good but my mobility and core strength are not so much. And also I need to foam roll even though I hate it and it's torturous. So far the exercises are helping, but leaving me unbelievably sore. Which I guess is also an indicator that they're working. Unfortunately I'm having some issues with my insurance covering the PT so I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep going, but I'm hoping I can get that worked out.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:28 pm 
Impressive boner

I started following the principles of Eat To Perform a couple of weeks ago and have been hitting some PRs. I feel strong and energized and it's wonderful.

My PRs have been a 32kg front squat (after starting at bodyweight 5 weeks before) and a 1RM 22kg strict press on each arm. Press-ups and lunges are getting less challenging. Squats are an issue though, my form seems to be better on front squats than back squats and some hip flexor tightness has been giving me uncomfortable knees lately. Working on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm 

Bringing this thread back to say that I have a goal of getting to 180lb deadlift by my birthday. I'm currently struggling with 165lbs at 3sets of 8 reps. (3X8X165?). I have just over a month to add 15 pounds. (Yes, I realize I could probably do a 1RM, but, I'd like to at least do a set.) I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

You can do it Lillian :)

I've been doing regular lifting again which just feels good :) I know I'm weaker than I've been from even a few years ago but I'll get stronger. My dumbbell bench press this morning was with 2 35 lb dumbbells so there is that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:52 am 

I spent the night at my SIL's so we went to the gym both days and now everything hurts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

well, i posted in here last year that I started weightlifting. I had bought the book "Womens Guide to Lifting". Really great book. I liked the routines too, but they were sort of complicated, which was switching from one machine to another. It was really hard to do in a crowded commercial gym unfortunately. AND i had an ankle injury and was out of exercising period for a while. I was doing ok though, and was seeing results!

Finally got better and back to exercising. High intensity cardio (cardio kickboxing, spin, run/hiking etc) and then back to the old BodyPump classes or machines. Hit a huge wall/plateau with NO results, plus I was getting bored. so I decided to do some serious weights this time.

Decided to start the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. Does anyone here do that? Its really simple, only 5 exercises, 5 sets of 5, three times a week. Shoot to increase by 5lbs each time. You do squats (each day you work out) deadlifts, barbell rows, chest press and overhead lift. there are some extra exercises you can do too, but I am just doing those now, with some core work as well. And still doing cardio 2-4 days a week too. there is an app that helps you track your weights and progress, even has a timer for between sets which is awesome. the website is good too, with videos that play very well on a cell phone, which is ideal for the gym.

I like it so far, even if if am a tiny bit nervous using the squat and chest racks at the super crowded gym. I totally messed up yesterday though, i was finally ready to move from using the pre-loaded bars to the bars that you put the plates on. I forgot the stupid bar weighed 45lbs already. I was like "Why in the world are 45lbs squats SO HARD?!?!?" oh...cause it was 90lb squats. no wonder my form was absolute crapola

It's pretty fun so far, even if it is hard. I am looking forward to getting stronger now, not just toning up/slimming down (although that is still the main goal). My quads are already a bit bigger i think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:44 pm 

Chicki, welcome to the world! I was told to stay away from strong lifts 5x5 because it's meant for non-beginners (but I'm not a beginner anymore w/a couple years ish and squats at 135, so maybe I should revisit). That being said, it sounds like you're doing great! I love that there is difference in what you're doing (rather than running for an hour) but it's also fairly simple once you get the hang of lifting. I really love doing heavy deadlifts. It's pretty much my favorite thing in the world. (With side bends being the most hated for me)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:59 am 
WRETCHED

I love deadlifts too! For me, planks are one of my least favorite things.

Another workout program I like is Strong Curves, I think I've already mentioned it, but I'm not currently doing that. And Nia Shanks has a few programs on her site (Lift like a Girl).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:24 am 

Just got back from lifting. I am now solidly lifting 165 for deadlifts (3 sets of 8), so I am going to try going up to 170 on Sunday when I do DLs again. I've got a month and a day to get to 180! I can (maybe) do this! And even if I don't, I'm busting past historical bests. Yay core strength!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 am 
WRETCHED

I bench pressed 75 lbs today! At one point, in my 20s, I was able to do 125 so I have a lot of work to do to get there :)

And I did single leg bench dips today which is a huge achievement for someone of my size...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:17 am 

I made my goal of 180 pounds by my birthday!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Congrats!

I decided to start a new lifting program, that does a split where you only work a body part 1x/week. Today was triceps, chest and calves. It is also heavily barbell focused. And... I can already feel the soreness :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:26 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for the past couple of months. I like it a lot!!! I like that it is simple, easy to follow, and has a really great app that times you and keeps track.

I go really slow, since I lift alone, and want to have PERFECT form before I advance. I do not want to hurt myself!

Current stats:
Squats: 95lbs - going for 100 today. I can do 120 but my form sucks.
Deadlift: 135
Overhead press: 45 - been stuck here a while.
Bench Press: 65
Barbell Row: 55

Plus I always do assisted dips and pull ups (almost every work out) and i like doing a body pump class like once a week, plus a spin and/or cardio kickboxing. But really, my main focus is the weights. I was getting a little bored with it, but putting the BP class back in helped. I try to do core work EVERY workout. My planks are getting better. My core is super weak.

Doing a body pump class after Strong Lifts was funny. the bar felt so light, i felt like superwoman. I could easily put 40lbs on the bar for warm up. Luckily, i remembered how long the 'sets' were and chilled on the weight. Still had at least 2x the weight that i did before I started SL though, for the whole class.

Something I realized along the way? Lifting in running shoes is awful. bad form, so wobbly. I can't afford actually weightlifting shoes, but I bought some cheap chuck taylor's at TX Maxx, and now my feet are flat on the floor and my form is WAY better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:12 am 
WRETCHED

I've been doing it at home most so I just go barefoot. I do have some flatter shoes that I use as well.

I'm not even putting weight on the bar for squats at this point because I know my squat form has to improve (classic issue I have had). I would put weight on the bar for a half squat but what good is that?

I also don't know what my 1RM but so far this week, I've done:
Deadlift: 95
Overhead Press: 45
Bench Press: 75
Barbell Row: 75

The program I'm doing is from the book Thinner, Leaner, Stronger.

It is a 5 day program, core is worked 3 times out of 5 with calves being the other 2. The problem is some of the exercises are harder to do at home. For Sunday's workout, I will have to go to the gym.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:50 pm 
WRETCHED

I did my workout yesterday. I actually used 95 lbs for romanian deadlift which means I can put a lot more weight on the bar than I have been for regular deadlifts.

Today I met with my trainer and we don't do heavy weights (it is lower weights, higher repetition).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I deadlifted my bodyweight yesterday! 145lbs. 7 reps. And BOY am I feeling it today!

My form was not perfect. but not that bad either. I was able to video myself doing a few of my reps, i am curving my back just a bit. I think i will de-load back to 135, just to work on form.

its a bummer though, cause using the 45lb weights got the bar to the place it needs to be ~9 inches off the ground. If I go down in weights, i have to stack weights on the floor to get the bar higher, and that is awkward and difficult to do. I wish that any of the gyms I went to had bumper plates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next