| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:55 pm 
WRETCHED

Congrats!

I have bumper plates at home and I like them. One thing I do at the gym is set up the squat rack so that I can put the bar where I want it. So although for one set I did lift the bar from the ground with 25lb plates on it, the other times I just took it off the rack.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh man, once I got to about 75lbs, there was no way i could get that bar up over my head,do my squats, then back down again. I mean, I could, but it tired me out so much it affected my form and my sets. I have to use a rack. I use a rack for Overhead Press too, otherwise i get tired out getting the bar to the level I need it and it messes up my sets.

I am ok right now, getting to gyms early weekday evenings, or afternoons on the weekends so there is usually a squat rack available.I am NOT looking forward to January though. the gyms get all crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I meant for deadlifts, I use the squat rack too but it depends on what your gym has. Mine has one that is pretty adjustable. I'd die if I had to do squats without a squat rack. At that point, I'd just use dumbbells.

Yesterday I did chest which was pretty good :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Legs and back today :) I did 125 for my last set of 8 deadlifts. I also decided to start putting some weight on the bar for squats. I am getting deeper which is what I want. I also think I need to practice without the bar as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 pm 
WRETCHED

I did shoulders today. I was surprised because doing barbell exercises for shoulders is hard but I was able to do it much better today than last week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I can still only comfortably free lift up to 20lbs. I'm up to 60lbs of resistance on my upper back and shoulders now though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:57 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Linanil-bumper plates are so useful! I haven't had to use them for deadlifts in a while, but I just started Starting Strength. Since I've been lifting a while, my deadlift is well ahead of my squat, so I started the cleans as suggested. I've never done cleans before and I'm back to the light bumper plates for them. :)

This program has been great for progressing my weights! I've gone from ~130-135 for squat to 160 as of yesterday and 175-180 on deadlift to 195 as of yesterday. I'm pretty psyched about that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Can anyone direct me to a good resource for getting started with weights? I've tried pilates and it was alright, but really a lot of time and the most precise movements ever to get anything out of it. That's not really feasible for me.

I know people break things up by day, and that less weight and more reps is good if you want to be lean vs bulky. That is all I know. I don't know which exercises I should be doing and what kind of reps, etc. I'd really appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:29 am 
WRETCHED

Actually less weight/more reps for lean vs bulky is a myth. It is more about calories, hormones, genetics, etc. If you want to be bulky, you train for years, eat a calorie surplus and have the right genes for it and potentially take steroids but pretend like you don't. If you want to be lean, you be an average woman with average woman genes, you eat at slightly surplus calories or maintenance and you dial back training if you notice your body isn't going where you want it to go.

Do you have a gym? Home weights? Bands? What I'd recommend would be based on what tools you have.

And just FYI, to illustrate my point about bulky. Only way you would look like someone like Pauline Nordine, for example, is by working out for hours each day, eating excess calories , and her more muscly pics are when she has leaned out and has an extremely low amount of body fat and she is also most likely flexing. She is also gifted genetically and/or takes supplements to help her build muscle. The second picture in the following link is a good example but all 3 pics are her. Even her third pic, which I know a lot of women would cringe at, is due to her flexing her muscles and a lower body fat http://www.womenfitness.net/pauline_nordin.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
Actually less weight/more reps for lean vs bulky is a myth. It is more about calories, hormones, genetics, etc. If you want to be bulky, you train for years, eat a calorie surplus and have the right genes for it and potentially take steroids but pretend like you don't. If you want to be lean, you be an average woman with average woman genes, you eat at slightly surplus calories or maintenance and you dial back training if you notice your body isn't going where you want it to go.

Do you have a gym? Home weights? Bands? What I'd recommend would be based on what tools you have.

And just FYI, to illustrate my point about bulky. Only way you would look like someone like Pauline Nordine, for example, is by working out for hours each day, eating excess calories , and her more muscly pics are when she has leaned out and has an extremely low amount of body fat and she is also most likely flexing. She is also gifted genetically and/or takes supplements to help her build muscle. The second picture in the following link is a good example but all 3 pics are her. Even her third pic, which I know a lot of women would cringe at, is due to her flexing her muscles and a lower body fat http://www.womenfitness.net/pauline_nordin.htm

The funny thing is, it was maybe an hour after I posted this that I learned this was a myth. Shows how little I know!

I have access to a fairly-well equipped apartment complex gym. It has weights - some machines, mostly set-ups for lifting. There's also hand weights, kettle balls, and a fairly substantial area of empty space to use said hand weights and kettle balls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:19 pm 
WRETCHED

I think the book Strong Curves is pretty solid. You could try to see if a local library or something might have it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks, Linanil! I'll look for that! :D

ETA: teehee. better butt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:00 am 
WRETCHED

I think that is for a couple reasons but it is actually a total body workout.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, I totally assumed it was because that's the only muscle women think they want to get bigger, haha, and a good way to pull them in. It looks like a very helpful book!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I watched the movie Creed 2 weeks ago and since then I've been trying to do 1 hand push ups.
First day I couldn't move myself from the ground.
Second day I could only get one done with my right arm.
Now I'm working on getting two in a row with each arm I'm at 1.5.

What I found really impressive is that just in 2 weeks I'm now able to carry much more weight on the chest exercises at the gym. This really makes me wonder whether training 1 or 2 reps a day using full strength is more efficient at developing strength than all the 3*10 reps, 5 *5 reps, pyramids or whatever other workout done at the gym.
I mean in 2 weeks I gained more strength than in the last year and a half of constantly going to the gym 3 times a week.

Anybody has tried that? a 1 or maximum 2 reps routine to train pure strength?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:24 pm 
Hip Goiter

linanil wrote:
http://www.womenfitness.net/pauline_nordin.htm

Erma p, I scrolled through this interview and am CRYING:

Quote:
Ms. Namita Nayyar: With exceptional hard work you are credited with all your achievements. Do you believe that does the hand of Providence (Supreme Being) played a role in your success?

Ms. Pauline Nordin: Do you mean if God had a say or helped? If yes, No.

bahaha this is in Womens Fitness? What a weird question!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Working on my strength before adding weights to things where bodyweight is plenty. I did one tiny circuit of Nerd Fitness' beginner's bodyweight workout (ONE) yesterday, and today I can barely use my legs. Like, sitting down is so agonizing that it's barely worth moving at all.

My chest, arms, and belly are at a comfortable soreness. But god! My legs! I used a wall for the squats - that's probably my biggest issue. It's been a while since I did a full squat (obviously, if I need a wall to help get me there).

Since this is a WEIGHT lifting thread, I'll post my one weighted item: 8 lb dumb bell for dumb bell rows, ten on each arm. I think I could easily move up next time! Small accomplishments in the sea of overworked pain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been lifting dumbells at the gym for the last month or so, and love it. I always wanted to lift weights but was a bit scared to, so I'm taking it slow, and working on strengthening my hips and knees before I go near bars or deadlifting. At the moment I'm using 2.5-3kg dumbells, but I hope to work my way up to being a strong powerlifting badass.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:31 am 
WRETCHED

So I'm back to lifting, did bench presses and other chest work yesterday, did deadlifts and squats today. Also considering rejoining a gym.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yay Linanil! back to the game! if you are not in a gym, where do you work out? home gym or work gym?

I got super bored with StrongLifts 5x5. It was a great routine, but only 5 exercises, and SO hard to progress linearly when I am still on a cut.

Now I do this routine, modified
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

I really REALLY like it, even though the guy on the front page either scares me or cracks me up when i look at him.

The basic idea is that you do a 4 day routine. 1 day upper power & one day lower power (low reps, low sets, high weights) then 1 day upper &1 day lower Hypertrophy (higher sets, higher reps, not super heavy weights)

I like that there are more exercises, and that it is more interesting. Plus, I like the Hypertrophy. I know it is argued about a lot, but I am seeing a LOT more results, especially in my arms, since starting this. Its also super easy to modify. I do a lot more booty exercises for instance on the lower Hypertrophy days. Donkey kicks, hip thrusts, split squats etc. Totally took out calf exercises. If I feel that something isn't working, I switch it out with another exercise I feel works better, that works the same muscles. Like, I hate front squats, so I do goblet squats instead

Its still hard to get any gains in weights since i am still cutting, but I am very slowly seeing results. and it is fun! and it still only takes me an hour at most each day - enough time to add in some cardio. Loving the row machines this year

I did take the gym up on the offer for a free consultation. Made it clear I was NOT interested in a trainer, but that I wanted a form check. Yeah...my core lifts he checked were a mess. But I got some great pointers for DL and bent over rows which i am using. I am also changing my squats 100%. I was only going parallel with my squats, and doing ok (like 115lbs - not bad when on a cut) but I am going to start going BELOW parallel from now on. They are a LOT harder. Which means i am back down to like 85lbs. Oh well. They work my booty better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:43 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm working out at home, but I have to figure out something or join a gym soon as the program I'm utilizing calls for leg presses on one of the days.

I'm doing the thinner, leaner, stronger program which is a 5 day split. Since I've been having so much trouble self motivating to do long workouts, it fits.

As for squats, right now I'm just doing the bar because my flexibility is just not there. I need to work on that as well. I'm not going to add weights until I can get below parallel. I also need to work on my shoulder flexibility as well because holding a bar in the proper place for squats is uncomfortable and always has been for me. I'm just kind of a mess when it comes to flexibility.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:33 am 
WRETCHED

I joined the gym yesterday and went yesterday and today. I was a bit nervous about doing hip thrusts in the weight room (where there are only guys) but I did it and I didn't die.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

linanil wrote:
I joined the gym yesterday and went yesterday and today. I was a bit nervous about doing hip thrusts in the weight room (where there are only guys) but I did it and I didn't die.

Good for you! I'm doing Thinner Leaner Stronger too. I've been lifting semi regularly for years but started this program in January. Love it and am seeing definition.
Have you thought about using a barbell pad for squats? I hate using doing squats without one, it hurts too much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:03 am 
Impressive boner

I did a really challenging session on Tuesday - ten minutes of constant kettlebell snatch with a 12kg weight, then three rounds of 40kg x 20 deadlifts, 12kg x 20 push press, 20 squat jumps with a 17kg Bulgarian bag and 20 super high pulls with a 10kg kettlebell. I am sore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:56 pm 
Impressive boner

Today I did 2 mins snatch with a 16kg kettlebell, 4 mins with a 14kg and 6 mins with the 12kg. Then 5 thirty second sets of lunges, then of renegade row, then press ups, then 16kg kettlebell swings. I'm going to ache tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next