| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:14 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

When I get interested in something, I have a tendency to dive in super deep right away, so my first instinct is to buy ALL THE THINGS. I've run across sets for sale with squat racks and everything for like $200, but I'm trying to talk myself down since I'm literally only lifting 10 lbs right now. I'm also really indecisive, so I'm like "standard or olympic? barbells vs dumbells? how much weight should I get? HELP ME" and then I'll never pull the trigger. I've just inquired about some dumbbells with weight plates at the moment, but the temptation is strong to go big, especially since we have the basement space.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 am 
WRETCHED

I'd definitely focus on dumbbells for right now and depending if you want a home gym, you can evaluate later. You can do so much with dumbbells. Many gyms don't have squat racks for some reason. We kind of have a machine equivalent to a squat rack but if we had more space, I'd get a squat rack for home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just cut a deal with a guy to pick up a set of dumbbells and plates tomorrow - yay! Nothing fancy or too heavy, it's only like 30 lbs of weight plates total, but it's a step up from what I have and if all goes well I'll likely invest in some more substantial stuff in the near future. I was talking about this with my boyfriend recently, and it amuses me to no end that he's this big, barrel-chested dude and little 5' me is the one who wants to buy a 300 lb barbell set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

Dumbbells to start is great. I am exactly like you in the jumping full on thing. I used nothing but dumbbells, my office chair and a piano stool for the for month and it worked great. Then I bought a set of standard weights really cheap of craigslist with a cheap bench thrown in (which I used once and then threw out). After a month of that I graduated to the full Olympic set with all sorts of equipment -- once again crazy craigslist deals.

I was amazed how much I actually accomplished with just the homemade dumbbell routine. It allowed me to progress nicely without really trashing my muscles, find some great second hand deals (which there are tons of), and research exactly what I needed to buy and what to stay away from. Things I learned: lots of fancy looking benches only have 200 pound maximums (including you) and safely lifting at home is really important so make sure you get something with safeties to catch anything before it lands on you...this is really important!!! Safeties for bench work, safeties for squat stuff etc. If you fail on a lift it can hurt you; if your muscle tears on a lift it will hurt you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Craigslist really is a goldmine for this stuff. I'm seeing full Olympic sets for like $200-300, standard sets for under $100. Part of the reason it's so tempting! But since I have zero desire to injure myself I'm definitely going to start small and work up. I mean, 9 months ago I couldn't lift a coffee cup, so I'm just stoked to need something heavier than 10 lbs at the moment.

It seems crazy to me that a bench would have a 200 lb max weight... how is that even supposed to hold you and the weights? So thank you for that tip! I have no idea about safeties or how any of that works - I just thought I'd have to have my boyfriend spot me or something. I'll definitely need to do some more research before I buy any serious equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

amandabear wrote:
I have no idea about safeties or how any of that works - I just thought I'd have to have my boyfriend spot me or something. I'll definitely need to do some more research before I buy any serious equipment.

Spotters work great for failed sets but when muscle tears, the bar just goes straight down with no warning so if your spotter doesn't actually have his hands on the bar, he can miss it. There are lots of youtube videos of guys having a 300 lbs loaded bar fall flat out on there upper shoulder and or neck when the spotter missed. If you are lifting light and have a good spotter, you should be fine but get your boyfriend to watch some the of the videos so he sees how serious his job is. I don't have a spotter so I need the safeties.

And craigslist is awesome. So many go out and spend 1200 bucks on a New Year's Resolution and then, 6 months later, just want it out of the house. I just learned that the "|" means or on craigslist....so like, "weights | bench | plates" gets 3 searches in one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm definitely interested in having the safeties, because while he has no objections, I don't want to have to rely on him to be there whenever I feel like working out, you know? So that's great to consider.

And I did not know about the "|" thing! That's useful. Every time I come into this thread I feel like I should just cue up the "More You Know" rainbow star sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm 
WRETCHED

When I did Crossfit, we learned how to drop a barbell without killing ourselves and I've had to do it a few times. But we also used bouncy weight plates which are what I've bought for home. There are no bench presses in Crossfit so that is a different animal. A good squat rack will have something that protects you though. My current weight system uses cables and hand grip. It is fancy, but I realized afterwards that I would've preferred a standard squat rack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

linanil wrote:
When I did Crossfit, we learned how to drop a barbell without killing ourselves and I've had to do it a few times.

That sounds terrifying. You guys have me thoroughly convinced regarding getting something with safeties. Not optional! Yikes. Also starting light. Definitely starting light.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:13 pm 
WRETCHED

It isn't really. We had no safety equipment though, just us and the barbell :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

You can also just use dumbbells to bench which takes the need for safeties out of the equation. Db presses are much harder than Barbell (because you have to stabilize) so you are lifting less weight and you don't have to worry about the bar across your neck. If you don't have room for lots of dumbbells look into Powerblock adjustable dumbbells.

Also, do some research on programs to follow to give you an idea of what you need to do to get maximum results out of your efforts. If your going to do it, you might as well get the best results you can and doing some internet leg work will really help your results. You get to choose your goal (strength, toning, mass), learn how often a week to do each body part (the every second day thing is pretty much dead), and find links to videos showing you exactly how to do the exercises to "hit" the muscles you are aiming for. Instructional Fitness has a site that has excellent videos explaining each exercise I think you will benefit from watching the applicable exercises if you aren't using a trainer. This is a link to one of videos...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLEW-a-YHoI. Their homesite of the same name is an excellent resource.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

^^ I should say that the "instructional fitness" stuff looks like it is full of meatheads but they provide really thorough info so don't prejudge it based on the steroid show. I actually just rewatched a couple of the videos and realize I was doing a couple of things not quite right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for posting that video Jonny. I work out at home so need all the instruction I can get my hands on too.

Amandabear, welcome to the lifting club!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes, thank you for that link Jonny! I definitely need to check my form on some things, I'm 100% sure I'm doing stuff wrong, which will become a much bigger deal as I start to lift more weight.

It's been a little less than three weeks since I got myself some heavier dumbbells, and I've already made some encouraging progress! When I first posted in this thread I was using 5 lb dumbbells, or doubling up for 10 lbs on rows. So I started with the lightest load I could put on my new dumbbells - 9 lbs - and have been lifting 3 times a week, doing 5 sets of 5 reps of rows, bench press, shoulder press, hammer curls, tricep extensions, goblet squats, and deadlifts (all with dumbbells of course) plus some other bodyweight exercises. Today I maxed out on the weight I have available - 19 lbs per dumbbell! I know that's not super heavy at all, but I was pretty stoked when I realized that I need more weight. So I'm going to start watching Craigslist for a bench and barbell set and see where I can go from here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 am 
Nailed to the V

amandabear wrote:
Today I maxed out on the weight I have available - 19 lbs per dumbbell! I know that's not super heavy at all, but I was pretty stoked when I realized that I need more weight. So I'm going to start watching Craigslist for a bench and barbell set and see where I can go from here.

That's awesome! 4x your starting weight/2x the weight for rows is excellent progress for sure. I really focus on doing the exercises as perfectly as I can and care little about the total weight (I do occasionally compare to what I started with though and your increase is great). Lots of times I actually take a step back in weight once I adjust my form or speed to get the most out of the exercise. I go forward really slow because I don't want any injuries from bravado lifts. Keep up the great work.

Hopefully you can score a great craigslist deal. If you get stuck waiting for deal, slow your negatives down to make it more difficult on your muscles and/or increase your reps to 8-10 etc to continue working your muscles harder than you did the last time...that will get you through until you get more weight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Deadlifted my body weight today!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny - thanks! I don't increase my weight every time I workout, just whenever what I'm using starts to feel easy - usually once a week or so. Especially since I'm lifting at home by myself, I'm definitely not trying to get too ambitious and hurt myself or anything. It'll probably be a few weeks until I can get my hands on more weight, so until then I'm increasing where I can on the stuff that just uses one dumbbell (triceps, squats) and I'll take your advice and increase my reps or slow down to keep things challenging.

Oh, and I have been watching those instructional videos - super helpful!

Emmalv, that is so awesome! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but maybe you guys can help me out. I read everywhere that women don't need to worry about the cosmetic bulk factor because we don't gain muscle volume the way men do, especially as beginners. But... what if you do? I've been biking all summer and my thighs have gained enough muscle that I had to go up a jean size (from 12 to 14 US). I recently started lifting a bit and I can already see the same issue happening to my biceps, which have always been quite big even without working out.

I've always been a stocky, wide framed woman - in high school I competed in judo and wrestling. I don't count calories as it's a bit of a trigger for unhealthy food thoughts for me, I eat to hunger, without snacking, and cook out of AFR maybe 4-5 nights a week. I don't think I have any hormonal imbalances going on, I have regular periods and all my phsical signs point towards me having a more estrogenic profile (hourglass figure, no excessive facial hair, clear skin etc). Is there anything I can do? I mean, it's not a huge issue, but I'd prefer to gain strength and tone without at the same time making 95% of women's clothing options off limits for me...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:25 am 
Huffs Nooch

aelle wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but maybe you guys can help me out. I read everywhere that women don't need to worry about the cosmetic bulk factor because we don't gain muscle volume the way men do, especially as beginners. But... what if you do? I've been biking all summer and my thighs have gained enough muscle that I had to go up a jean size (from 12 to 14 US). I recently started lifting a bit and I can already see the same issue happening to my biceps, which have always been quite big even without working out.

I've always been a stocky, wide framed woman - in high school I competed in judo and wrestling. I don't count calories as it's a bit of a trigger for unhealthy food thoughts for me, I eat to hunger, without snacking, and cook out of AFR maybe 4-5 nights a week. I don't think I have any hormonal imbalances going on, I have regular periods and all my phsical signs point towards me having a more estrogenic profile (hourglass figure, no excessive facial hair, clear skin etc). Is there anything I can do? I mean, it's not a huge issue, but I'd prefer to gain strength and tone without at the same time making 95% of women's clothing options off limits for me...

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm by no means an expert when it comes to weight lifting and bulking up. But conventional wisdom seems to point towards doing lower reps of higher weights in order to gain the most muscle. So maybe focusing on doing higher reps (15+) of lower weights would help slow down your growth. What lifts are you doing now and how many reps/sets?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You might also be a mesomorph - someone who is just inclined to put on muscle more easily than others.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Also not an expert, but I think lobsteriffic might be right, and I kind of think "bulking" and "getting bigger" are probably different... Women arent' going to walk around like the Hulk (w/out steroids that is) but I do think women's muscles, especially as beginners, can get bigger as they get stronger and the muscle takes on more definition. You see plenty of before and afters of women who start to lift weights and there is definitely a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I think in a way it's a bit of a fallacy how people always say that women don't bulk up like men. it may be true that women won't necessarily get super big in quite the same way, but you do notice a difference and some people may just not like how it looks on their body. When i first started lifting I was doing more cosmetic-type isolating exercises like bicep curls, and I definitely thought that my upper arms got bigger in a way I wasn't crazy about. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time, but I feel like since I've started doing less focused movements and more total body movements it's not as apparent that I'm bulking up specific sections of my body. Anyway I'm also definitely not an expert just my 2 cents. I feel like it's not the amount of weight you're lifting, so much as the movements, if that makes sense. Also, from what I've read, doing weight training that is more metabolically challenging (where you're sweating from more difficult movements and exertion) will burn more fat which can also contribute to how your body looks.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 am 
Married to the wolfman

Aelle, I'm a similar way. Even lifting low weight and high reps, I put on noticeable muscle quickly. (And now I am lifting low reps/high weights. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to be making me bulk up any faster than the opposite.)

In my case, I've kind of just learned to be ok with it. I'm a short stocky person, and I'd rather be short stocky muscle-y than short stocky flabby, you know? It helps that I am lifting as an aid to improve my cycling speed etc, and not "just" to look better. That helps me feel better on days where I feel like I have monster quads or whatever.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lobsteriffic wrote:
You might also be a mesomorph - someone who is just inclined to put on muscle more easily than others.

This might be correct. I started lifting heavier weights about a month ago, and even in that short time I've noticed that my arms and thighs are a bit bigger than they were before. I'm very short but I've always had a "sturdy" build - I'm pretty sure even my skeleton isn't slender. I think if you naturally have more muscle or a larger frame, any new muscle mass will be more noticeable by default. I'd like to try to lose some fat as I continue to lift, which might give a more "lean" appearance, but some of it's just got to be genetics, and I like feeling strong more than I like that slightly smaller thigh circumference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I think people always tell women they won't bulk up as a sort of reassurance, since a lot of women seem to want to be smaller, which is more about society's views of how women should look than anything else. But it should be all about how you feel comfortable and like to look. And on the other side, sometimes we just don't have that much control over how we look in the end anyway. I think for me anyway, I try to pay attention to how I feel, if I feel good and confident from working out I don't even notice so much how my body is looking.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next