| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've tried hook grip and did not like it. I usually end up using mixed grip.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

100 bench press, check. 200 lb deadlift, check. Its been a good day so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah emmalv! That's awesome!!

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:58 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Nice work! What's next?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Woot! Nicely done :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks everyone! I was super excited about it yesterday.

What's next you ask? The elusive unassisted chinup... The Everest of my 2014 lifting goals...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 am 
Saggy Butt

Can you do slow negatives? Those helped me a lot when I was training for the one armed pullup.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Deadlifts yesterday after my week off and I am so ungodly sore. Oof. I haven't had DOMS like this in a while. The heaviest were only 85% of my training max and I'm still limping around like a got hit by a bus. My lifting schedule got all shuffled around this week so 3 of my 4 days are all in a row instead of being spaced out (I'm supposed to bench today) and I am seriously kicking my past self for THAT decision.

Emmalv, I have no doubt you'll get your unassisted chinup! You're kicking asparagus. One day I'll have someplace to put a chinup bar. Currently I'm just working inverted rows for all they're worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I do negatives as slowly as I can and have one of those tube contraptions that you put your foot in to help you out on the assist. Slowly but surely I have been decreasing the resistance. I can usually only eek out only one really good negative a session though. Something to work towards for sure.

Amandabear, 85 percent is a good showing, no wonder you are sore! I can empathize with the self induced scheduling related soreness. The type A in me hates when things like stupid work interfere with impt things like the flow of my workout schedule, and then I feel compelled to do things like lift 3 days in a row : )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:53 pm 

Emmalv, congrats! That's exciting!! I am currently doing fun exercises called the clamshell and also single leg lifts (Both lying on back and side). Both of them are so much harder than expected!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:25 pm 
Impressive boner

Tore two calluses in training today, just when I'd got my enthusiasm back. They're going to be a couple of weeks healing. Bah!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

Flappers suck! Especially the stinging when you take a shower. If you wrap the raw skin with medical tape you should be good for lifting, though. They really suck in climbing, since the tape just gets ripped off, and it ruins skin friction for grabbing holds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Potato wrote:
My right shoulder had been bugging me in the gym for years but it's not come up since returning. I'm really hoping it stays this way.

...and it's back! Darn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I hope your shoulder feels better, Potato! Mine bugs me all the time but it's entirely desk-related.

A question for the ladies in this thread: if you've eaten at a deficit while lifting in order to lose weight/fat, would you mind sharing about what your calorie intake was? I started eating at what my nutrition tracker tells me should be enough of a deficit to lose about 1/2 lb a week a little more than a month ago, and all it's done so far is make training feel harder and given me generally less energy. I realize a month or so isn't enough time to make any kind of drastic change, but not only have I not lost weight, I've actually gained a bit, and my measurements aren't budging either. It's sometimes a struggle to get enough protein as it is, so I'm hesitant to cut it down even further (plus I feel like lifting just makes me super hungry all the time?), but adding more workouts isn't really practical either.

For reference, previously I was eating what the tracking gave me for maintenance, which was about 2,050 cals/day. Currently it has me at 1,800. Every BMR/TDEE calculator I've consulted has told me that with a light to moderate activity level (lifting 3-4 days/week) I should eat anywhere from 2,100-2,400 to maintain my weight, so even taking the lowest of those numbers, I feel like 1,800 should be a decent deficit for slow loss.

So I'm curious! Tell me stuff. Am I doing it wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hey Amandabear, I'm cutting at around 2000 or so. Somes days I may go 1850/1900, usually there is a weekend day where I'm at 2300/2400, but my average is around 2000/2100. I take a complete 1 week diet break every 8th week or so (sometimes sooner if I'm travelling or whatever). My estimate TDEE is about 2450. The calc I use is a spreadsheet I got from a user on MFP that takes into account age, BF estimate, and TYPES of activity, which I think it important. Those online calculators always seem to overestimate for me because they treat every hour of activity as the same, and sorry, 60 min of lifting just doesn't burn the same as 60 min of running. Anyway, I can send you the link for that spreadsheet if you want. Its really geeky and nerdy, lots of numbers :) I have been dropping super slowly on the scale but inches and my BF are consistently going down so I guess its working.

My completely anecdotal and unprofessional thoughts as to your situation, in no particular order:
Don't drop the protein. My understanding is protein is crucial when you are cutting, esp if you are lifting.
When I change a program/diet change, whatever, it takes me a good month before my body responds. My friend at work hung in there for 2 months of starting a new program before she started seeing changes, so don't freak yet.
Drink a ton of water. Don't drown but be conscious that you are drinking enough. This helps me when the scale gets stuck. When I'm dehydrated I retain retain retain. This might also be while the scale is up but measurements are not?
Yes, training does feel harder. When I was eating at maintenance and slightly above my lifts progressed much more quickly than they do now. (some of that was pbly newb gains too.) With cutting, rest when you feel you need it is pbly more impt than when eating more.
If you are totally starving all day and zapped, I'd eat a little bit more. To me, better a smaller deficit and slower progress than be miserable, have shitty workouts, not sleep, etc.
Weigh everything on a digital scale. There's a youtube about it that I saw on bodybuilding.com forums, but basically you'd be shocked how much serving sizes are off. 2T PB is not 1 serving by measurement, for example. My levelled out 2T is more like a serving and a half by weight in grams (or in other words, I'm off by 100 cal.) Those misses add up and negate the deficit you think you have.

Yeah, good times cutting is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'd love that spreadsheet, thank you! I was wondering about the activity level, because yeah, lifting is hard and it wears me out, but objectively it's not a calorie-scorcher.

I already weigh pasta and things like that, but it never occurred to me to weigh stuff like peanut butter. Partly because the intense food tracking thing drives me nuts. It takes me right back to my younger days of trying to eat 1,400 calories a day and obsessing over every single bite. Bad times. I am definitely ridiculously hungry at 1,850 though, which makes it insane to think about eating that little. And yeah, I've noticed that my progress has slowed down in the lifting department since I cut back too. Bleh. I'm more interested in cutting fat than the actual number on the scale, so low and steady is fine by me, plus a smaller deficit is more tolerable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, calorie counting definitely sucks. And maybe you don't have to measure out the PB, but at least keep it in the back of your mind as a culprit if you really get stuck and your deficit gets really small with no margin for error. On the other hand, its not so bad once you get used to it. I eat a lot at work vs home, so I throw my tupperware on the scale, zero it out, and then dump my serving size in. Either way i'd either be measuring or weighing, so I weigh. But I hear you about the slippery slope mindset and definitely relate to what you are saying. You will never hear me say that calorie tracking is the best hobby ever. And another thing, I use the counting as a guide. If we go out for ice cream, so what. So maybe I'm "over for the day." Who cares, as long as its not every day. The spreadsheet honestly spits out a bigger deficit for me than I care to adhere to, but its useful for getting a more accurate burn estimate (IMO). I'll send it over this weekend when I'm in front of my home computer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Potato wrote:
Potato wrote:
My right shoulder had been bugging me in the gym for years but it's not come up since returning. I'm really hoping it stays this way.

...and it's back! Darn.

Have you ever been to a physiotherapist? My left shoulder was really hurting and it got to the point where I couldn't even do a push up without pain. I made an appointment and it turns out that my upper spine was out of alignment. After a few sessions and adjustments, I'm back to my normal chest press weight and it hasn't bothered me since.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:28 pm 
Impressive boner

Happivore wrote:
Flappers suck! Especially the stinging when you take a shower. If you wrap the raw skin with medical tape you should be good for lifting, though. They really suck in climbing, since the tape just gets ripped off, and it ruins skin friction for grabbing holds.

I lift kettlebells and do a lot of swinging motions with them, so the handle rubbing on my fingers tends to make medical tape or dressings come off really easily. I've cut the loose skin off and am using a really good fast healing gel so they should be ok soon.

I just signed up for the biathlon at the October UK open competition with the next weight up (16kg). I'm also trying to figure out how I can apply for Team England. The guidelines reference the IUKL ranking system which I don't understand. I'm rank 2 in the Girevoy Sport Union system, which I think is the same as rank 3 in IUKL but I'm not sure. I'll ask someone who knows!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:35 pm 

amandabear, try the health-calc one. I bike 16-18 miles every day and have an office job (but have been standing a lot recently). At 5'7", my TDEE without lifting, I'm at 2700 or so. Sometimes if you see weight gain when you're trying to cut it means you're cutting too low. Experiment with your TDEE until you find the accurate one (where your weight doesn't fluctuate) and then cut 100-200 calories a day from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:09 am 
Saggy Butt

This isn't lifting, but hey there was mention of pullups :) Saw this short video of german boulderer Juliane Wurm training, and was inspired. First time seeing a girl do a one-arm pullup.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=282507828576677&set=vb.222742204553240&type=2&theater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Whoa, one-armed pullups are in a whole other universe! Damn. That is seriously impressive!

Lillianp, I remembered seeing that before but couldn't find it again, so thank you! According to that one, without lifting, my TDEE would be around 2,400-2,500. I'll have to play around with it.

Have any of you ever experienced a kind of pulling pain in your upper chest while deadlifting? It's started happening in the last week or two on heavy sets, and today it was so bad that I cut my set short and didn't finish because I didn't want to risk doing actually hurting something. It's more on the left than the right (which is my underhand... hand with mixed grip, if it matters) and in the upper pec region. It only seems to happen when I get above 80% of my training max, but like I said it's a new thing, and I've lifted these weights before without pain, so I don't think it's a matter of too much weight. My completely uneducated guess would be that I'm pulling my pec muscle somehow, but I don't know how or why it just started happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, crazy strength. I imagine she could do a weighted pullup with +100 lbs. I've never been able to do more than one rep, the climbers who can do 5 in a row blow my mind.

Never heard of chest pain when deadlifting, sounds like you injured it doing something else but the deadlift is aggravating it. If lower weights don't hurt, maybe just do higher reps for a while until it heals?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That's possible! It only happens while deadlifting, though, which is why I assumed it was related to that. I haven't had any issues with bench or overhead press. I won't be deadlifting again until next Friday, so I'll see how it feels then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

If you haven't had the issue before, and your form is the same, then I'd definitely put it down to an unexplainable tweaked muscle, and not worry about it unless it really persists the next month. Sometimes just a little bit of weight shifting in the wrong direction, or muscles activating wrongly, is all it takes to get an injury out of the blue. I once injured my feet tendons deadlifting--weight must have shifted from my heels and onto my toes or something--and couldn't walk for two weeks. Was bizarre, but nothing like that ever happened again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next