| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Happivore wrote:
I once injured my feet tendons deadlifting--weight must have shifted from my heels and onto my toes or something--and couldn't walk for two weeks. Was bizarre, but nothing like that ever happened again.

That is a really weird one! Ha. Hopefully it won't be an ongoing thing.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Happivore wrote:
This isn't lifting, but hey there was mention of pullups :) Saw this short video of german boulderer Juliane Wurm training, and was inspired. First time seeing a girl do a one-arm pullup.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=282507828576677&set=vb.222742204553240&type=2&theater

One day, one day...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lillianp wrote:
amandabear, try the health-calc one. I bike 16-18 miles every day and have an office job (but have been standing a lot recently). At 5'7", my TDEE without lifting, I'm at 2700 or so. Sometimes if you see weight gain when you're trying to cut it means you're cutting too low. Experiment with your TDEE until you find the accurate one (where your weight doesn't fluctuate) and then cut 100-200 calories a day from there.

Totally agree. Physiologically from a cal in/cal out perspective it makes no sense, so unless its for a protracted amount of time, my theory is that the increase in cortisol and stress hormones cause water retention masking any loss of any kind. Plus it just sucks. I tried cutting more around 1800/1850 and I'd quickly stall out and then start to physically suffer (for me the biggest manifest is crepe sleep) but when I increased I began to move forward again and felt much better.

I think I have hip flexor tendonitis. Looks like an upper body week for me. (hopefully just a week)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:14 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Back on Stronglifts. Just squatted 5x5x45kg. Somewhat pleased. Somewhat concerned that trying to make sure my legs were on form meant my back was possibly a bit mistreated. I guess I'll know in the morning...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Anyone do front squats in place of back squats?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have in the past. For a while I couldn't squat deep enough to do back squats with any kind of decent form, but I could front squat just fine, so I did those while I worked on my mobility for back squats. Over the last month or so I've transitioned over to mostly back squats, but I still do a few sets of light front squats to warm up because I feel like they help me increase my depth.

emmalv wrote:
I tried cutting more around 1800/1850 and I'd quickly stall out and then start to physically suffer (for me the biggest manifest is crepe sleep) but when I increased I began to move forward again and felt much better.

I've definitely noticed this happening. I feel like I'm always tired and hungry anymore. I've been trying out different TDEE calculators and gotten pretty wildly varying results, but I think I'm going to bump my cals back up to around 2,000 for a few weeks and see what happens.

I hope your hips feel better fast!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Happivore wrote:
Anyone do front squats in place of back squats?

I have, just because I can squat more safely at home that way (with lifting the bar over my head for back squats). I definitely fight to keep it in my glutes and not have my flexors help as much, which is definitely the drawback for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The main problem I ran into with front squats was that after a certain point I really have trouble keeping my chest up. Once the bar gets heavy I seem to lean forward too much and everything feels pretty unstable. Keeping my chest/shoulders back is pretty much a constant struggle with everything for me, though. When I do front squat, I can't do the regular clean grip because I always end up supporting the bar with my fingers and that's just painful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Having to keep body tension and the upper body straight and rigid is why I love front squats so much: really strengthens overall stability.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That is definitely true. I have some core stability issues (I had open abdominal surgery about a year and a half ago, among other things, and as you can imagine slicing your stomach open and stitching it back together really weakens the whole area) and front squats plus working on my hamstring/ankle flexibility and some ab stuff where I can do it have helped me get to a place where I can actually do proper parallel back squats instead of just falling over backwards once I got half way down. I still do front squats, but usually just to warm up anymore. I also like heavy front squat iso holds to work on core stability.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm 

So fun things from PT: On hip abduction (pressing out), I'm 'unbelievably' strong but on adduction (in), I'm weak. They did some press/pull with my legs to get my pelvis re-aligned (it popped in to alignment! yay!) where I'm also very very strong but weak in other ways.

They had me do bodyweight squats, from which I learned I've lost depth and bodyweight deadlifts both where she didn't correct my form and then adjusted the deadlift halfway through,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The idea of something popping into alignment sounds both satisfying and terrifying. Can't hate being called unbelievably strong in any way, though!

What kind of adjustments did they make to your deadlift form?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:57 pm 

They told me to stick my butt out more instead of consciously bend my knees. It shortens the deadlift (more like romanian) but that could be a mobility issue. Mostly because she didn't want me harassing my back more than necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

"satisfying and terrifying" is the perfect descriptor for that, ha. So lillianp, are they advising that you stick more with romanian and forego totally "american style" DL's?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:54 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've started doing RDLs as an accessory and even at a light weight they are killer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:57 pm 

I think it'll be clearer when they add weights and as they get heavier? Current plan is to move me from the current PT to one about a mile away that's in a gym (two branches of the same place) once I can do 20 lbs for squats/deadlifts in a couple weeks.

The pop was pretty great, but I like cracking my joints occasionally. And my back feels really really good today with the exception of some minor pain this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

New deadlift PR tonight - 244x3! I still had some pain in my left chest (the muscle, not like... chest pain) on the last couple of heavy reps, but not as bad. I think it'll be fine after deload next week.

Still no progress with the cut though... I have a really hard time believing I'm not eating enough but I'm also pretty hesitant to cut down any further. Very frustrating. Maybe I need to cut carbs or something, but that just seems like a pain in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

244! x3! (bows down)
Nice job!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh yeah, and in other news, I bought this medieval torture device:

http://rumbleroller.com/foam-rollers.html

(the blue full size one)

After about 1 minute of rolling my IT bands with this thing I was literally sweating. I have a normal foam roller but this takes it to a new level. I'm fairly certain being stabbed in the side of the thigh would have been almost as painful. I have some work to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks emmalv! It was pretty cool. I should be doing 253 next cycle, which is exciting but also terrifying.

Those rumble rollers really do look like some kind of torture device! Rolling my IT bands on a regular roller is bad enough, I can't even imagine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

It definitely sucks but I have had a knot or adhesion on my left IT band that I could never get out with a normal foam roller, so I'm hoping this helps. I rolled on Friday and I'm still too sore to attempt it again just yet.

So I finally made it to my clubhouse gym that has a smith machine (as you know I usually lift at home). Not the best for squats since you lose out on using some of the stabilizers, but if I want to do a heavier backsquat this is what I'm working with. Anyway, I did some pyramid sets and worked up to 3 x 6 x 125. Form was good, I went below parallel, and I felt good so I feel like this is pbly near my upper range for now and want to test that 1 RM in upcoming weeks.

Also, can I say it was sort of an awesome feeling to be loading 45 lb plates while the guys there dinked around with little dumbbells :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hopefully it helps! I don't foam roll nearly as often as I should. By which I mean I haven't foam rolled in like two months.

125 is awesome!! If you can do multiple reps/sets at 125 I'm sure your 1RM will be 135+.

As for me, today was bench day, and I got over 100 for the first time! Not far over - 101 lbs - but I got 3 reps without too much trouble (well, two without trouble and one ugly rep, but a rep nonetheless), and then an extra rep after a minute or two just to see if I could. So that felt pretty great.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:14 pm 

Amandabear, that's awesome! I'm terrified of benching. I'm hoping to learn it w/a personal trainer but yeah, scary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks! I'm definitely afraid to go too heavy without a spotter, so I have to make Mike spot me when I'm doing a weight I'm not 100% sure about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

amandabear wrote:
Hopefully it helps! I don't foam roll nearly as often as I should. By which I mean I haven't foam rolled in like two months.

125 is awesome!! If you can do multiple reps/sets at 125 I'm sure your 1RM will be 135+.

As for me, today was bench day, and I got over 100 for the first time! Not far over - 101 lbs - but I got 3 reps without too much trouble (well, two without trouble and one ugly rep, but a rep nonetheless), and then an extra rep after a minute or two just to see if I could. So that felt pretty great.

Guurrrlll, you are officially a 100+ bencher. Well done!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 48  Next