| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1099 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'll send you happy weight lifting vibes when I'm at the gym in the morning, madame pittman!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

j-dub wrote:
I'll send you happy weight lifting vibes when I'm at the gym in the morning, madame pittman!

I did it! Kind of! I warmed up with dumbbells and fell back on my butt and someone saw, but he didn't say anything! Squats and chest press felt good, but the barbell row was ridiculous. It was more like 25 sets of 1 rep. I feel loads more confident to get in there and just try it though!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:07 am 
Impressive boner

I just worked out some starting weights for Stronglifts. I'm going to start it this week! Exiting.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I did it! Kind of! I warmed up with dumbbells and fell back on my butt and someone saw, but he didn't say anything! Squats and chest press felt good, but the barbell row was ridiculous. It was more like 25 sets of 1 rep. I feel loads more confident to get in there and just try it though![/quote]

That barbell is heavy for rows! But congratulations on getting in there and getting started. I work out at home, and I will admit the thought of struggling through this in a gym would freak me out a bit too (at least at first because its so new to me).
If it makes you feel any better though, some of the guys I talk to who are into lifting seem really supportive and are all "good for you, there should be more women like you who realize lifting real weights is a good thing." I would imagine that in the gym, there are more people who think like this rather than "what the fizzle does she think she's doing."

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 am 

Go ndpittman!

I have decided to stop following Stronglifts' weight progression because I'm lifting heavy enough that adding five pounds to the bar every session is just too much. So I am listening to my body and staying at the same weight for a session or two and I think my form will better for it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

For you guys doing bench press, how far down do you let the bar go? Do you let it touch the chest? I've been reading a lot of different do's and don'ts on this and I'd like to hear how you go about it. I used to be very strict with doing full ROM, but recently I've started to stop maybe 5-10 cm above the chest instead and I've gained strength and mass faster this way. I don't feel any difference in muscle contact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:46 pm 
Impressive boner

I started 5x5 today, but I don't have a bench at home so no bench press for now. I managed a personal best of 60kg on the deadlift in my first session. I may increase the weights next time instead of waiting until next week as I know I can manage more weight over all the sets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm 
WRETCHED

I've done weight lifting on and off for probably 20 years :)

Right now, I'm concentrating on body weight exercises because I needed a change so Convict Conditioning was my start but I'm focusing on You are your own gym now. My husband is still doing Convict Conditioning and he is getting crazy strong. Maybe in a while I'll go back to weights because I love them but 5x5 is overall a great program.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 pm 

I PR'd 130 lbs deadlift today. I was stuck at 125 for a while, so this was awesome (though vaguely painful). And I'm finding increasing my weights on squats dead easy if I let myself stay at the same weight through two sessions rather than trying to increase every time.

For bench press I have been wondering the same thing. I generally don't go right to touching chest because it doesn't feel great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:11 am 
WRETCHED

Congrats! My PR for the deadlift was 250 lbs a couple years ago but I'm no where near that now. The deadlift is one of my favorite things. I'm working on deep squats again as my body mechanics limit my squat but when I actively work on it, I get better squats. No weights for those now though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Awesome j-dub! I aspire to deadlift some of these crazy weights (250, whaaat). I have my bench all set up and am gradually adding more deadlift weight almost each workout, which probably means the prior workout wasn't enough, but hey. I'm learning as I go and I certainly am working crazy hard.

For Love Child's bench press question: I don't know what is considered "proper" but I usually go down to about 2 inches or so above my chest. All the way down feels odd and I get paranoid I'll be able to get the weight back up. However, I am going to experiment with this greater range of motion using lighter weights. If I had bigger boobs maybe I could manage benching more :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just joined the Y! I want to start weight training/power lifting etc but I don't even know where to start. Requesting the New Rules of Lifting for Women from the library. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do? Programs? I do a bunch of cardio and I do yoga once a week and some calisthenics once a week (push ups/sit ups type thing). My mind is boggled!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi lillianp! I think if you can get your hands on that NROLFW copy from the library you'll find some answers there. That is the only program suggestion I have because I'm new to this as well and that's what I'm following. Its divided up into 6 (or 7, I don't quite remember) phases and all of the workouts are spelled out for you, even down to rest periods between sets, and all of the exercises are illustrated and explained. I do those workouts 3 times a week and also supplement with cardio and yoga (for sanity reasons alone!). So for me, a typical week might be the 3 workouts, running on those 3 days (either easyish longer run or faster intervals), a yoga day, and a DVD day (kettlebells, Insanity, a Jillian abs DVD, stuff like that). Obviously everyone is different, so I'd see how your body responds to the weightlifting and then adjust from there, you know? So you don't do too much?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:12 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

emmalv-sounds good! Guess I'll just wait for the book to come in to really start a program. I've used the machines before so I'll probably just futz around on them after work today, do a couple sets of some arm/upper body exercises. (But I know free weights are where it's at!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think I've done all the NROL books except the original one- so I've done NROL for Women, For Abs, For Life, and just got the newest Supercharged one. Many of them I've gone through multiple times. I recommend it if you're just looking for a program to follow at the gym for general fitness, etc. That's what I do since I just want something to follow because I feel like I waste time if I don't have a specific program. I do keep a log of my workouts but I don't really measure myself or anything, so I can't really say specific results but I have gotten stronger over time and feel good, and I've never injured myself.

I'd like to eventually do something like Starting Strength but I feel like I'd really like an instructor in the beginning for that one. I do deadlifts and squats and stuff now but even after several years I'm never sure of my form, and don't want to go super heavy because of the fear of injury without proper form. I suggested to my local YMCA that they offer this as a class but no word on that yet.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Quarantined, are there significant differences between NROL for Women, For Abs, For Life, and Supercharged? In your opinion, and aside from variety, is there a benefit of getting through all of them (eventually)?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

emmalv wrote:
Quarantined, are there significant differences between NROL for Women, For Abs, For Life, and Supercharged? In your opinion, and aside from variety, is there a benefit of getting through all of them (eventually)?

NROL for Life was a bigger departure from the others because it introduced this system where you can choose from a variety of exercises under specific categories. So you basically create/customize your own workout. It also has sample programs already set up for you to work through. For Life also introduced a warmup program in more detail, if I'm not mistaken, which I really like. I haven't started Supercharged yet but it looks very similar to For Life, just some more exercises, etc. I would definitely recommend just getting For Life if you're interested in overall fitness and like the idea of customizing.

The Abs one I honestly can't remember all that well! But it's older than For Life so maybe don't bother.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 am 
Impressive boner

PR of 80kg/176lb deadlift.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:55 am 
WRETCHED

Congrats 8ball!

Oh and I have NROL supercharged and it is a good book. The intro basically says it is an evolution of the previous books so I'd recommend it but it takes a bit more deciphering than the for women book. I think for life would be similar so id choose one of the newer books if you have an option. I haven't done the program, I started but then got distracted by you are your own gym.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

8ball, that's awesome!

I jacked up my shoulder so no lifting for me for at least a week probably. I think its some light tendonitis. Boohoo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
I jacked up my shoulder so no lifting for me for at least a week probably. I think its some light tendonitis. Boohoo.

This video has some great shoulder rehab exercises which you may want to try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:04 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:

Oh and I have NROL supercharged and it is a good book. The intro basically says it is an evolution of the previous books so I'd recommend it but it takes a bit more deciphering than the for women book. I think for life would be similar so id choose one of the newer books if you have an option. I haven't done the program, I started but then got distracted by you are your own gym.

That's good to hear, I'm going to start it in a couple of weeks, I'm still reading through it. It does seem very similar to NROL for Life but it has a lot more programs, so it could conceivably keep me busy for a long time. I also like how he addresses concerns you might have if you've been working out for a long time and not yet seeing the results you'd like, and how to address that with the programs. It also still has a good detailed warmup and detailed muscle rolling exercises for cool down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:51 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Supercharged sounds pretty good. I like that it has the potential to keep ya busy for awhile; that is one thing I liked about the For Women book, that it has a 6 month program. I'll keep supercharged in mind to check out once I make it through For Women.

Thanks Jonny, that's a pretty great video. Usually I'm dumb and just power through in order to stick to my schedule - I miss being 17 and healing in like a day or two! - but this time I decided to learn from mistakes and heal up, so I'll for sure start of some of these rehabs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
Thanks Jonny, that's a pretty great video. Usually I'm dumb and just power through in order to stick to my schedule - I miss being 17 and healing in like a day or two!

Tell me about it...it's a new pain everyday. I find that the vegan diet, at least for me, seems to quicken the general recover time so I know it something still hurts in 2-3 days, I need to pay attention to it.

I do a bunch of those shoulder exercises while I am walking down the street just using the weight of my arm and whatever else I happen to be carrying as I go: it seems to really loosen the joint up....it can look pretty odd though so you need to expect some weird looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Picked up the strong lifts again this week, and I'm really pleased with the flexibility of the app. I didn't realize I could change the weight or reps, so I don't know. It gives me more confidence to go forward at my own pace. Like for instance my own pace doesn't seem to want to lift more that 45 lbs. over my head. I increased the squat weight as prescribed and that felt pretty good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1099 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next