| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

Good job, Amandabear!! That's awesome!!

Remember how you were talking about sore back/overhead squats earlier? We did a workout yesterday with running and overhead squats and my back was sore while running (whatever, so lame) and my coach said lower back soreness is usually a sign of weak core... wahhh....but probably true. I hold tight when lifting so it doesn't hurt then, but I could definitely improve my core strength!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:51 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Meggs wrote:
Good job, Amandabear!! That's awesome!!

Remember how you were talking about sore back/overhead squats earlier? We did a workout yesterday with running and overhead squats and my back was sore while running (whatever, so lame) and my coach said lower back soreness is usually a sign of weak core... wahhh....but probably true. I hold tight when lifting so it doesn't hurt then, but I could definitely improve my core strength!

My trainer actually has me do core stuff to warm up. Usually some combination of planks, side planks, crunches, back extensions, etc. Would that be an option? His deal is 'turning on' all the muscles that we plan to use on our lifts. We also do a lot of external shoulder rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It probably is a core issue. I do try to tighten up my abs/back/butt while doing the overhead press, but I end up leaning back anyway. Which makes sense. I had open abdominal surgery last fall, so I'm starting out with a weaker core in general, and I can't do a lot of the ab exercises people usually use to strengthen it.

Having been sliced up the middle and stitched back together naturally creates a weak point, so while my doctors didn't place any hard and fast restrictions on activities, they did recommend that I avoid things like crunches, sit-ups, etc that really strain the abdominal muscles (specifically the front rectus abdominis) because excessive strain to that weakened area can cause a hernia. Which I am obviously not interested in acquiring. So I've been sticking to planks during my warm up to try to build some core strength. Maybe I will add in some more variations or up the frequency and see if that helps.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

quote="lillianp"]emmalv, holy crepe! I'm switching to stage 3 sometime this week (with the amount of time off I've had in the middle of Stage 2, I'm not taking the week off again!). Super excited to see what new exercises there are. I'm hoping for some more back squats at some point. If there aren't, I might add them in. They're my favoritest of all exercises for some reason.[/quote]

Ha, yeah, it was fun but I had DOMS for almost 3 days. 2 solid days definitely. Anyone have good tips for mitigating the DOMS (aside from aspririn/ibuprofen)? And do you just work through it if it lasts a few days? I had to travel for work so ended up with 2 off days anyway, but if I were at home I pbly would've tried my next workout. Anyway, yes, lilianp, a lot of the exercises repeat so I think you'll get your squats in again. But I do the same thing you're thinkingn of doing - I actually add in deadlifts and (attempts at) negative chinups just because those are what I want to improve upon. Phase 7 actually has some new exercises too, which I'm happy to see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Meggs wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Meggs wrote:
So true j-dub! My hip flexors and IT band have needed more attention since I started squatting right- they're so tight! Other things related to form make more sense now too, like I didn't understand when my coach would tell me to push my knees out on the way up from a squat but it helps so much with strength and getting back up with a heavy bar.
Can you explain that more, Meggs? I can't really picture what pushing your knees out on the way up looks/feels like.
Haha! I'm not sure. I didn't get it for a long time. Basically I think that our natural inclination is for our knees to sort of buckle in or wobble as we are coming up from a squat with heavy weight, and somehow pushing knees out a bit helps stabilize? It's not so much out as it is back to where they're supposed to be maybe? I don't know. I totally didn't get it until I did it.

The IT band thing, though, hurts like a mofo even after (attempting to) roll on a foam roller and on a lacrosse ball.

Yes, I think the knees rolling is hip/butt weakness. I learned this when I started running...There were a bunch of exercises I had come across to diagnose weakness in the "leg chain" and one of them was a one-legged squat. If you couldn't keep your knee straight, if it wanted to roll in, you were supposed to work on glutes, quads, and hips to prevent runner's knee. Now, and I don't mean this as body shaming or anything - its just an observation - but I'll see people (usually women) walking down the street and can tell straight away if they have weak hips by how their knees are moving.

Yes to the foam roller, that tool of the devil! But it works and if you keep at it, it ceases to hurt like a mofo. (somewhat, heh)

Good job Meggs and Amandabear on new PR's!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:27 pm 
Chard Martyr

The IT band stuff makes sense, thanks, emmalv!

Re: abs/core- coach said she's going to start incorporating more core stuff in the warmup, so I think that what ndp and amandabear are doing is awesome! I hope that it helps me, too. No hernia(s), amandabear!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

emmalv wrote:

Ha, yeah, it was fun but I had DOMS for almost 3 days. 2 solid days definitely. Anyone have good tips for mitigating the DOMS (aside from aspririn/ibuprofen)? And do you just work through it if it lasts a few days? I had to travel for work so ended up with 2 off days anyway, but if I were at home I pbly would've tried my next workout. Anyway, yes, lilianp, a lot of the exercises repeat so I think you'll get your squats in again. But I do the same thing you're thinkingn of doing - I actually add in deadlifts and (attempts at) negative chinups just because those are what I want to improve upon. Phase 7 actually has some new exercises too, which I'm happy to see.

Yeah, I may add in squats at the beginning. I really want to get better at them! And I feel like I should do that with plain deadlifts, but I think there's some deadlift stuff going on in this next stage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

Muscle soreness for me is heaps of water, rolling, and continuing to work out. Not doing activity makes it feel worse, interestingly. Even just some light cardio usually helps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:32 pm 
Chard Martyr

Today's strength was hanging dead lifts, cleans, push jerks. I got up to 95lbs on the clean and jerks but had to stop. I think I may have been able to go a bit heavier for a 1 rep max.

Workout today was:
5x
12 deadlifts, 9 hang power cleans, 6 push jerks

I did it at 60lbs and finished in 9:24. Possibly could have gone a tiny bit heavier. Feeling so good after that workout!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:36 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Deadlifted 125 today. And did the overhead press described a few posts above and it was SO MUCH BETTER. No pain. And I did all my reps fairly easily. Ass-to-grass squats are still killing me but I will have forking quads of steel before this is over.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:14 pm 

Nice, j-dub!!

I'm getting back to it after a hiatus, and I am so, so sore. It's good though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I swear to the vegan gods, if I don't figure out what I"m doing wrong, I will cry. My glute pain came back. I hate glute pain. I hate hate hate it. It's pain that's not DOMS, but only really at that annoying level. I can't figure out if the front squats trigger it (bad form, perhaps?) or of it's something in the b workout (reverse lunge off step seemed to be where it started more strongly) because it seemed like it was hinting after workout A with the front squats but I've only *really* been feeling it after workout b with deadlifts and the reverse lunges. (And static lunges for both workouts, one's just renamed but has the lifted foot higher)

/complaining

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 pm 
Chard Martyr

Did a super hard workout tonight and made it through! Woo!
AWESOME job, j-dub!!

lillianp, do you think it may be IT band-related at all? I get some glute and hip stuff from IT band tightness.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 am 
Nailed to the V

Firstly, awesome gains for everybody. I can't wait for my elbow to heal so I can have some too...in the mean time I get to lift vicariously through all you.

lillianp -- Is there any chance your glute pain is tied into sciatica from lower back stresses? When I did my back in a few years back (bulged disc pressing on nerve), my butt would just ache with a real deep annoying pain. Might be something to think about if you can't trace the pain to any glute strains. It would certainly manifest itself more on dead day than on squat day.

This thread has some good advice (post #5 in particular) if you decide it may be related. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39216

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

j-dub wrote:
Deadlifted 125 today. And did the overhead press described a few posts above and it was SO MUCH BETTER. No pain. And I did all my reps fairly easily. Ass-to-grass squats are still killing me but I will have forking quads of steel before this is over.

Awesome, j-dub!! May I ask what exactly you did differently during the overhead press? I read back over the last bunch of posts but I'm not sure I found what you're referring to. I've been having some lower back pain that I'm pretty sure is from the OHP and/or barbell rows, so I'm anxious to try to fix whatever I'm doing wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

amandabear wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Awesome, j-dub!! May I ask what exactly you did differently during the overhead press? I read back over the last bunch of posts but I'm not sure I found what you're referring to. I've been having some lower back pain that I'm pretty sure is from the OHP and/or barbell rows, so I'm anxious to try to fix whatever I'm doing wrong.

JonnyGuitar posted this a few pages back and it's SO much better! No pain at all.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Awesome job on your deadlifted jdub! I was thinking either IT or sciatica, like Jonny and Meggs. Is the pain deep in the glute or more on the outside/hip? There are a ton of references out there for each, but I highly recommend foam rolling for the IT band and rolling your glutenon a tennis ball for sciatica. Google the pirformis muscle, and that's the one u want to try and hit with the tennis ball.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

j-dub wrote:
JonnyGuitar posted this a few pages back and it's SO much better! No pain at all.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to give those a try this weekend.

I finally booked a session with a trainer to make sure I'm not going to injure myself by doing things with horrible form - 2 hours this Sunday. I never thought I'd be super psyched to spend 2 hours at the gym on Sunday, but... here we are. Wee!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm 

amandabear wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to give those a try this weekend.

I finally booked a session with a trainer to make sure I'm not going to injure myself by doing things with horrible form - 2 hours this Sunday. I never thought I'd be super psyched to spend 2 hours at the gym on Sunday, but... here we are. Wee!

Awesome!! I hope it goes well!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks, ndpittman! I'm excited.

Ugh, bench press. 75 lbs seems to be a tipping point for me for some reason. I keep getting to 75 and failing during my 4th set. So I drop to 73 and finish, and then stay at 73 the next time I lift and that's fine, so I raise it up to 75 again... and fail during my 4th set. I've gone through this loop twice now and I just cannot seem to get through, let alone past, 75 lbs. I know there is a point during Strong Lift where you drop some lifts to 3/5 instead of 5/5, but I can't believe I'd be there yet - 75 lbs is heavy, but it's not like I'm benching my body weight or anything. It's super frustrating, because this and the overhead press are the only lifts I've really stalled on so far. Stupid upper body. If I could bench with my legs I'd be golden.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:36 pm 

Amandabear, I'm the same with bench press. It's aggravating! To help, the trainer has me working on some of the helper muscles, like triceps, shoulders, and rotator cuff. I wish I had more specific info. He talks about the compound movement and how the effort transfers from one muscle to another, and I usually fail when it goes from chest to tricep or something. Sorry I'm not remembering the details very well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

Good job everyone!! Good luck at your training session, Amandabear!

No awesome news to report with lifting. Strict press today and I did 75lbs for first 3 sets, then dropped down to 70lbs for the last 3 sets. I thought of you, ndp, because I wanted to do a small bounce because it would help so much!!

So we had to run today for our workout and it's weird, my lower back gets sore/hurty when running a lot. Not during lifting or gymnastics stuff, but running. IT band stuff maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Meggs, a sore lower back is my barometer for time for new shoes. Are the shoes you are wearing cushiony/supportive enough for high impact exercise like running?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:29 am 
Chard Martyr

Hmm... I'm pretty sure they're ok for running and are pretty new, but maybe I'll try a different pair of shoes and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:59 am 

Meggs, the only thing I can think of is posture. I know sometimes mine gets funky when I run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 44  Next