| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ndpittman wrote:
Meggs, the only thing I can think of is posture. I know sometimes mine gets funky when I run.

Yeah, long runs for me used to (may still?) get one of my hips super sore. Im ramping up to a half marathon in december and have been really focusing on form during my long runs this time after reading stuff from runner's world and so far i haven't had pain in that hip while running. Im (she says guiltily) not stretching/doing yoga nearly as much and i feel like i should, but i think its very mucha form thing too sometimes. Shoulders back, stride from the hip, don't lift the chin too much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I had my session with the trainer today, and it was super awesome. I deadlifted 155 lbs! For multiple sets! So I'm pretty proud of that, considering that I was at 103 on Friday. I told her where I was at and she was like, "oh, you can lift WAY more than that." And I could.

She gave me lots of little tweaks on my other lifts - bench with an arch instead of flat (I was afraid to try this but it did feel better), box squats, and some good assistance exercises to help build up core strength and work my back and triceps. The box squats especially helped a ton - my squat issues stem from lack of flexibility and lack of core strength, so she recommended doing box squats (plus goblet squats to warm up) for a few months until I build up both of those. I've got to see what I have around that can function as the box, but I'm sure I'll find something.

So yeah, totally worth it. I wish the gym was closer to my house, because I'd consider joining, but even just having someone go over everything with me this once makes me feel way better about doing it at home.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

^^That is bada$$!!!! Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm really glad it went so well, amandabear, and congrats on the 155# DL!

I'll definitely start reading up on posture and stride when running and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

amandabear wrote:
I had my session with the trainer today..... I deadlifted 155 lbs! For multiple sets!

Forgot to ask what she used for reps and sets for the deads?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Forgot to ask what she used for reps and sets for the deads?

Thanks guys! It felt pretty awesome. I did not think I could lift that much, but she just kept putting on weight until I actually had to exert a fair amount of effort and 155 is where we landed. We were doing 1/5 at increasing weights until we hit 155, and then she had me do 3/3, I think - when I workout myself I do 3/5 on deadlifts, but since this was more of a form lesson than anything and I'd done a billion sets working up to that, 3/3 was good and didn't burn me out for everything else that followed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Awesome, amandabear!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 am 
Chard Martyr

Yeah, when we are looking for our 1 rep max, we do sets of 1 so we don't burn out, too. Then we usually lift 3/5 or 5/5 at 80% of our 1 rep max.
I'm so glad you had an awesome training session, amandabear!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Well done Amandabear! I'm glad the PT session was totally worth it.

One more session left to go in NROLFW for me. I'm curious to compare my beginning and ending lift numbers...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 pm 
Chard Martyr

Front squat 140lbs. I tried 145 and it was meh. I should have tried again though!
Also, I can nearly do a (kipping) pull up with no assistance! Huge progress from where I started!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:15 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

140 lbs!! Meggs, that is awesome!

Update: I have never been more sore IN MY LIFE oh my god. I swear yesterday I could barely move. But it's the good kind of hurt. I blame the deadlifts.

Has anyone ever tried the 5/3/1 method/program/whatever? (Summary here, beginner variation here.) The trainer mentioned it on Sunday, so I did a little reading. The slow, steady progression appeals to me, but most of the accounts of it I can find are from mega serious bodybuilder types whose 1RM is like 4x their body weight so I'm not sure how effectively it would translate to someone who's only benching 70 lbs. I've been reasonably happy with Strong Lifts thus far, but I feel like I'm hitting a plateau with some lifts so I'm interested in exploring other options. But the comparative lack of volume concerns me a little bit, and I like squatting every time I lift because I need the practice. HMM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 am 
WRETCHED

If anyone is looking for a simple squat stand, this one has a 750 lb capacity, is adjustable and only $99! It looks to have good reviews too
https://christiansfitnessfactory.com/in ... acity.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:37 am 

I think I pulled my groin squatting yesterday. I was on my first set, and the 4th rep was twingy. I did the 5th rep, but only 2 reps on the 2nd set, kind of trying it out. I think my form was off? Anyone else experienced this? The trainer had me doing feet wider than hip width and toes turned out a bit, but now I'm wondering if that can be problematic after a Medhi email talking about 'sumo squats.' I'm not that wide though. I will be stretching (maybe running or yoga) today, and meeting with the trainer tomorrow (maybe depending on his baby arrival status). It doesn't feel super injured, but man, I do not want to get hurt now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

amandabear wrote:
Update: I have never been more sore IN MY LIFE oh my god. I swear yesterday I could barely move. But it's the good kind of hurt. I blame the deadlifts.

Has anyone ever tried the 5/3/1 method/program/whatever? (Summary here, beginner variation here.) The trainer mentioned it on Sunday, so I did a little reading. The slow, steady progression appeals to me, but most of the accounts of it I can find are from mega serious bodybuilder types whose 1RM is like 4x their body weight so I'm not sure how effectively it would translate to someone who's only benching 70 lbs.
Congrats on the good sore, amandabear!
I've never heard of the 5/3/1 but I looked over the overview and it seems to make sense, like the part about 225x6 reps is stronger than a 225lb one rep max.

I hope it's nothing major, ndp!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

- NPD, Groin pulls are awful. I hope you just have a little strain because actual pulls take forever to heal.

- Amandabear Lol, I was going to chime in earlier how much you were going to hurt the next day; however, don't you just love it when your body hurts because you are working it, rather than just random illness pain.

5/3/1 is a great program but it really isn't aimed at beginners. Beginners make gains so quickly that 5/3/1 will actually slow you down if you follow it compared to Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. If you did 5/3/1 (of which there are many variations), you might find yourself wanting to bump your 1RM's up fairly often which then means your not really following the program -- which is something I tend to do at a hindrance to my overall progress.

I think your progress on Stronglifts has been amazing and I don't think your plateauing either because your making
awesome gains. If you feeling that certain body areas are lagging, you can throw in a couple of iso exercises to target those particular areas.

Squatting every time you lift is a bad idea unless you are using really low weights and it is more of a cardio/technique exercise. Twice a week is okay (some would argue it is still too much). You will hamper your gains by taking away from the recovery time and you will stress the muscles and end up hurting yourself....and squat weights mean you can really hurt yourself good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks, Jonny! That's kind of what I figured after reading more about it. It sounds like something I would definitely like to try in the future, but for now I will keep going with 5x5 and see where I land. The only lifts I feel like I've sort of plateaued on are overhead press and bench, and but I'm going to give those some more time and see what happens before I change anything up.

I am still pretty sore, but I did lift tonight as scheduled. Learning how to squat properly (plus the box) helped SO much - who knew, huh? I did add in a couple of assistance exercises she showed me as well - front holds (that's what she called them, but I can't seem to find it by googling - it's like a front squat without the squat, just holding the barbell on your shoulders for a length of time to work your core) and pause presses (again, her term - benching with lighter weights, pausing at the bottom for 3 secs, and then raising the weight as explosively as possible). I want to add in some other things to subsequent workouts, but I'll probably have to stick with two or even just one per session because 5/5 on 3 main lifts + 3/5 on 2 assistance lifts took forever.

Ndpittman, feel better fast! Hopefully it was just a bit of strain or a weird movement that your trainer can help figure out how to avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:12 pm 
Chard Martyr

GUYS!
First, emmalv, thanks for the shoe suggestion. I wore a different pair of shoes and no back issues today. I'll keep wearing those and see what happens.
Second, the workout was four rounds of 400m sprints and 5 push jerks and I started out at 85lbs and the coach added 10lbs each round so by the end I was doing 115. FELT SO GOOD.
AND! GUYS I DID A 115lb CLEAN AND JERK. It was so awesome. It was after the workout (so I was a bit tired) and took me 3-4 tries, but I did it! So rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Way to go, Meggs!! That's incredible!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

amandabear wrote:
front holds (that's what she called them, but I can't seem to find it by googling - it's like a front squat without the squat, just holding the barbell on your shoulders for a length of time to work your core

How long did you hold them for? I want to try these.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

j-dub wrote:
amandabear wrote:
front holds (that's what she called them, but I can't seem to find it by googling - it's like a front squat without the squat, just holding the barbell on your shoulders for a length of time to work your core

How long did you hold them for? I want to try these.

I did 3 sets of 5, holding them for 10 seconds each - next time I do them, I'll probably do a few less but hold them longer, maybe 20 seconds and work up from there. She told me to load the bar pretty heavy for these - I did 88 lbs tonight but we did 95 at the gym and that was better. It's a really small movement - you don't even need to step back from the rack at all, just straighten up to lift it a few inches and hold it. I could definitely feel it working. The only downside is that my shoulders are currently pretty tender and will probably be bruised tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

^I wonder, would those be similar in result to doing calf raises with the barbell in shrug position? It would be like an isometric type of thing if it was just static...sounds cool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm not sure - it is a static move, though. You just stand there, but have to use your abs/back to stabilize the weight that's resting on your shoulders. I had specifically asked her to give me some exercises that I could do to build core strength without messing up my stomach, and she thought these would help a lot. I've never done shrugs, but it seems like they'd be more of a back/shoulder thing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:51 am 
WRETCHED

I like doing a farmer's walk where you hold either weights at your side or over your head (I use a kettlebell for over my head). Your core muscles work to stabilize you as you walk around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 am 

Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm looking forward to meeting with the trainer and making sure everything is OK. I think I'm just way too tight, especially in the hamstrings, and it's throwing everything else off. I did an easy run last night and then stretched and used 'the stick.' I need to get a foam roller. The first downward facing dog I did was killer!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi everyone!

Meggs, no problem, I'm glad that helped.

Amandabear, traditional kettlebell exercises (swings, with good form, for example) in general seem to work my core pretty good. Also, in NROLFW there was an exercise that surprised me with its core-ness (new word!): take 2 different dumbbells with one double the weight of the other. Hold the lighter one above your head and the heavier one in front of you (just dangling down), and do squats. Its awkward but your core really works to stabilize the motion, particularly with the different weight. Do things like good ol' planks mess up your stomach?

Ndpittman, the foam rolling will way help! I can't say enough good things about foam rolling, even though it sucks in a way. Its so worth it. Is it weird to ask you how your groin is doing (ha)?

So tomorrow I'm starting Cathe Friedrich's STS. I'm sort of scared :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 44  Next