| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ndpittman wrote:
Picked up the strong lifts again this week, and I'm really pleased with the flexibility of the app. I didn't realize I could change the weight or reps, so I don't know. It gives me more confidence to go forward at my own pace. Like for instance my own pace doesn't seem to want to lift more that 45 lbs. over my head. I increased the squat weight as prescribed and that felt pretty good.

Dude, the overhead press is the worst thing of my life!! I'm two and a half months in and I am only now about to move up to 50 lbs. I had to take it down to thirty using dumbbells for weeks, then forty using dumbbells. Apparently there is something about most women's anatomy that makes the overhead lift a lot harder but I don't know specifics.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was thinking about you, j-dub! And I was thinking about the anatomy thing, too! I remember hearing it in regards to doing pull ups, and I imagine this is similar.

I thought the barbell rows were the worst thing, but now I see where you are coming from! And of course I could see some guy behind me doing the same exercise with my weight, and I'm struggling to push my arms up. Ah, well, eyes on my own bar!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:14 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

NROLW is waiting for me at the library! Have to go get it today! I did a farmer carry (carrying dumbbells around) and was able to do 90lbs (45 each side) for like, 20 seconds! 90 pounds! I'm so impressed with myself. I'm sure once I get training on deadlifts with bars that I could probably deadlift over 100 pounds!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 am 

So, I've been reading NROLW and I like it! I'm vaguely surprised by all the writing in it and I like that he recognizes that people who choose vegetarian/vegan diets for ethical/religious reasons aren't just going to switch them out because it's easier to get the nutrition in for weight lifting. I am a little nervous about how to get all that protein in though. I usually average ~55-65 grams a day and I hate how protein supplements make me feel. I guess I'll see how I feel/recover from workouts as I start them?

Post subject: Shoulders
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

been researching shoulder pain/rehab/prevention and I came across this simple exercise that has 20 pages of raves as to how well it helps. The site only allows me to read a couple of pages and then locks me out so I can't hotlink it but if you google "intense broomstick" http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997 it will come up as the first link called "How to cure shoulder problems..this will work 90% of the time". The site may be a meathead site (not sure cuz of limited access) but this exercise is referenced/linked on many other sites.

In a nutshell, it is simply widegripping a broomstick and taking it, with straight arms from the front straight over your head until it touches your back and then forward to starting point...without bending your arms. You start wide and gradually as you increase your flexibility, you narrow your hands (always keeping arms straight). 50 a day, everyday.

Pretty much every comment on multiple boards was in praise of this simple exercise for complete shoulder health. I have been doing it for a couple of days and I do notice it is doing good things for me. Shoulders take a beating in BB so it seems like a small investment of 2 minutes a day if it does what it advertises.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 pm 
WRETCHED

I decided to start New Rules of Lifting for Life. Of course my timing could be better as I am going on a trip on Saturday but whatever, I'll figure it out. I used a tabata timer for my metabolic portion and my trampoline.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 am 

I can't seem to increase my overhead press at all. Ridiculous. I'm OK with it really though, because I did get through 5x5, even if it was just with the bar.

Squats are 70 and deadlift is 115 though! Before I get much heavier I want to check in with my trainer though to make sure my form is spot on. I'm afraid of giving myself a hernia!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:41 am 
WRETCHED

Don't fret NDP! I had that issue before I had my shoulder injury. I go quite light on overhead presses (usually KBs these days) since my injury. My injury was Crossfit (ie overhead presses for time) induced though but I'm still wary.

Post subject: Re: Shoulders
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jonny Guitar wrote:
been researching shoulder pain/rehab/prevention and I came across this simple exercise that has 20 pages of raves as to how well it helps. The site only allows me to read a couple of pages and then locks me out so I can't hotlink it but if you google "intense broomstick" http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997 it will come up as the first link called "How to cure shoulder problems..this will work 90% of the time". The site may be a meathead site (not sure cuz of limited access) but this exercise is referenced/linked on many other sites.

In a nutshell, it is simply widegripping a broomstick and taking it, with straight arms from the front straight over your head until it touches your back and then forward to starting point...without bending your arms. You start wide and gradually as you increase your flexibility, you narrow your hands (always keeping arms straight). 50 a day, everyday.

Pretty much every comment on multiple boards was in praise of this simple exercise for complete shoulder health. I have been doing it for a couple of days and I do notice it is doing good things for me. Shoulders take a beating in BB so it seems like a small investment of 2 minutes a day if it does what it advertises.

Ha ha! I'm pretty sure this is unachievable for me, but I'm gonna try.... I seriously had to read it like 5 times thinking "get my arms behind my back? What is this wizardry?!?" I totally need to do this, between me tweaking my right shoulder and having surgery on my left shoulder (I had chondrocalcinosis, which i guess is pretty rare - my shoulder socket was full of marble sized calcium deposits. I was apparently a hit in the operating room.)

I started phase 2 of NROLFW. Man, they are not messing around. My legs took a beating! I didn't have faith in my balancing ability to do a deadlift while standing on a low box, so I think I went too easy with the weight (100). There is a lot more balancing and working with different levels (high boxes, low boxes, split squats, etc).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:17 pm 

Emmalv, i think i'm starting phase 1 on sunday! Super excited. :) my knee is finally recuperating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

lillianp, have fun! And be sure to warm up well - phase 1 doesn't seem quite as lower body heavy as phase 2 does, but with those heavy weights, watch that knee.... I'm curious to hear what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:37 am 
Nailed to the V

I am getting lots of exercise over on bodybuilding.com forums restraining my anger at all the negative vegan comments. I am trying to channel all that negative energy and using it to fuel my workout. There is no point in even starting a discussion with them because they have made up their minds already based on God only knows.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I may torture myself and go over there... or just let you do it and report back Jonny Guitar. I can only imagine. The guy at work I talk to about weight lifting and is actually a source of pretty good info on the subject but also is one of those that consumes nothing but creatine and protein powder all day and then eats boiled chicken or some crepe for dinner. We don't discuss nutrition.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 pm 
Impressive boner

New deadlift PR, 92.5kg/203.5lbs. Im gonna feel it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

8ball, badass. Congrats. Do you remember what your deadlift was when you started?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 am 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
I may torture myself and go over there... a source of pretty good info on the subject but...

Yep, exactly. I need the good info and real opinions on both equipment and exercises so I hang, and keep my mouth shut for now. One day, once I establish a reputation and have some good progress pics ands stats, I will drop the V bomb and run for cover.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:54 am 
Impressive boner

emmalv wrote:
8ball, badass. Congrats. Do you remember what your deadlift was when you started?

Thanks! My first ever deadlifts were with the 20kg olympic bar. I plateu'd at 40kg for a while but decided to lift my own bodyweight (which I did and exceeded yesterday) and I'm determined to keep increasing the weight as far as I can. I'm super-inspired by Talia Vandoren.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

8ball wrote:
emmalv wrote:

Thanks! My first ever deadlifts were with the 20kg olympic bar. I plateu'd at 40kg for a while but decided to lift my own bodyweight (which I did and exceeded yesterday) and I'm determined to keep increasing the weight as far as I can. I'm super-inspired by Talia Vandoren.

Being able to DL my own bodyweight is my intermediate term goal, too; it just seems like something I should be able to do and would be cool to say (like a pullup, but that is for sure a long term goal). Although, then people will ask me how much I weigh, so maybe I'd just keep my mouth shut anyway... Anyway, again nice job!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 pm 

First workout this morning with new rules of lifting for women! I squatted 65ish pounds, I think! (if the bar was 45) Could definitely have squatted more but I didn't want to put too much weight on at first. :) I felt really good the whole time but afterwards my muscles felt all tired and wobbly which is great!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:15 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I had probably the worst workout of my life today. Was dangerously close to tears while squatting (getting over a cold, IBS is acting up, etc etc) but I'm glad I saw it through because I realized later in the day that I carry myself differently and move through the world with more confidence and a feeling of really being in my body. And that is worth a hellish work out.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 pm 

j-dub, It's crazy how self-esteem boosting weight lifting can be. Well, exercise in general! Every time I do a challenging workout I walk out of there feeling that much more bad asparagus. I hope your next workout is easier emotionally!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:14 am 

j-dub wrote:
I had probably the worst workout of my life today. Was dangerously close to tears while squatting (getting over a cold, IBS is acting up, etc etc) but I'm glad I saw it through because I realized later in the day that I carry myself differently and move through the world with more confidence and a feeling of really being in my body. And that is worth a hellish work out.

Can I send hugs in a powerlifting thread? Because, hugs.

I agree with you and lillianp: Weightlifting does wonders for my self-esteem and how I carry myself. I feel entitled to take up space (to borrow a bit from Go Kaleo).

I dead lifted 125lbs., but I want to check in with the trainer before I go heavier. I am going to email him today!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've been doing Stronglifts for awhile and my overhead press totally sucks. But this morning I managed a full 5x5 with 45 lbs! I've been stuck on 45 lbs forever, not quite able to make 5x5. Yay!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:39 pm 
Impressive boner

I lost a callus!

I got a blister beneath it last Thursday due to some heavy kettlebell swinging. It seems to be ok now but it was pretty sore for a while, so I've been filing the others down with an emery board and applying moisturizer.

Remember to take good care of your hands, weightlifting folks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

8ball wrote:
I lost a callus!

I got a blister beneath it last Thursday due to some heavy kettlebell swinging. It seems to be ok now but it was pretty sore for a while, so I've been filing the others down with an emery board and applying moisturizer.

Remember to take good care of your hands, weightlifting folks.

I bought gloves for this reason, figured that out pretty quickly. And because my husband said, and I quote, "you will end up with hands of a dockworker."
They help a lot, but on a tangent here, I'm kind of peeved that they are black with pink. Why must all (ok just a lot) women's fitness stuff be pink? Is it to remind me that I'm still a girl even though I'm lifting weights? Or better yet so that others know that I'm a girl even though I'm lifting weights?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47  Next