| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just had killer back/shoulder workout and I have to give props to my fantastic workout music that came up on my ipod: Handel's Messiah! I am sure I am the only guy in the world who has worked out to it but is was that perfect mix of ethereal relaxation that put me in the right headspace to concentrate on form and breathing.

Really happy my new bench allows me do do roman chair back extensions off it easily and very comfortably...the bar that came with it is center knurl so it has smoothies for my shins while deadlifting {insert happy shin emoticon here}.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Can you guys who do crossfit talk a little bit more about it? Like, the culture (is it super bro-y, competitive?), the physical requirements, and if you have had to change your diet to accommodate the workload? My BIL is doing crossfit and krav maga and claims he has to eat like a million pounds of meat to keep up that level of activity. I'm also not super physically fit so do I need to work out a little first to be able to do crossfit or can I just start taking the classes? And how many times per week do you go? The other thing I'm worried about is that I have weak knees (according to my dr it's something that can be resolved through physical therapy) and if I have to do a million squats or jump on boxes I'm a little worried about hurting myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:13 am 
Nailed to the V

^ Hi couroupita, welcome. I will let the crossfitters answer your questions but I want to mention how good exercise bike riding is for building up the muscles that support the knee. It is really rare that knees are so hooped that they can't bike and the benefits are wonderful and relatively painless. If you choose to do it, make sure to keep your bike seat pretty high up to lessen the bend at the knee making it easier on the patella and ride with the balls of your feet on the pedals.

Lifting is healthy for both body and mind. Hope you find a way to pursue it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 am 
Chard Martyr

couroupita wrote:
Can you guys who do crossfit talk a little bit more about it? Like, the culture (is it super bro-y, competitive?), the physical requirements, and if you have had to change your diet to accommodate the workload? My BIL is doing crossfit and krav maga and claims he has to eat like a million pounds of meat to keep up that level of activity. I'm also not super physically fit so do I need to work out a little first to be able to do crossfit or can I just start taking the classes? And how many times per week do you go? The other thing I'm worried about is that I have weak knees (according to my dr it's something that can be resolved through physical therapy) and if I have to do a million squats or jump on boxes I'm a little worried about hurting myself.
Hi! Honestly it all depends on the gym you go to (they call the gym a "box.") The culture of the ones I've joined is competitive against oneself, and lots of camaraderie and support to keep improving oneself. Haven't had to change my diet; most crossfitters do paleo but I'm okay, and I lift heavy. Again it depends on the gym for the level of activity. My gym now is moderately difficult. The one I was at before crammed so much stuff in and I was constantly sore and tired. I've improved more in 1/3 of the time at my new gym, compared to the old gym. You can start crossfit at any fitness level. Definitely keep an eye on the knees- I had a coworker who had to modify too much stuff and therefore didn't enjoy cross fit. They let you modify everything until you're ready (i.e. if your knees hurt, you row instead of run or do step ups on the box instead of box jumps). Is there a groupon or living social you could use to check out a gym? Or call ahead and most will let you try a class for free first. Definitely shop around until you find a supportive place. I usually go 4x/week. I've noticed the most progress in my lifting; that's how I measure progress.
... sometimes you do what feels like a million squats, I'm not going to lie. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am 
WRETCHED

After I was with a Crossfit box for a year, I will say (as I've said before) that I am anti-Crossfit.

The positives
- People tend to be really supportive
- There are adaptations to anything almost. I was doing pullups with bands and instead of jumping on boxes, I was climbing on them.
- Olympic lifting (I love olympic lifting but it does involve some squat type moves)

The negatives
- The preferred diet is a Paleo diet BUT from my experience, the people at my gym only followed it during 'challenges' which happened a couple times per year
- The coaches will push you (this is good or bad) and this is how I saw a lot of injuries at my gym. This is also how I screwed up my shoulder which still hasn't fully recovered 2 years later.
- Crossfit people tend to think Crossfit is the ONLY way and will talk badly of other methods. I think this is unhelpful. There is a lot of drinking of the kool aid.
- The requirements to be a Crossfit coach are pretty simple. The head guy at our gym had a degree in kinesiology or something related and also had years of experience as a personal trainer with other certifications. The other trainers though were just average people who liked to exercise. I've also seen other gyms where some guy is so excited about Crossfit after belonging to a gym for a year or so signs up for a certification then opens up his own gym. Those are the truly scary ones.

I think I was probably around 8 months in when I started to feel distaste for Crossfit so it took a while but my shoulder injury was what did it for me finally around 12 months in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

So I restarted Stronglifts today! I was following it this time last year but dropped it as I started going to Bodypump more often (I was really enjoying those classes and I wanted a change from heavy lifting). So I'll be joining ya'll in this thread although my weights are still pretty light.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:12 pm 
Chard Martyr

Sorry you had a bad experience, linanil. I know I've heard a lot about injury and stuff but have been fortunate to have really good coaches thus far. I agree with your negatives but none of them really affect me, so I'm happy with what I'm doing thus far.

We are doing a 3-week squat program. Yesterday was 6x6 back squat. Take your 1 rep max, subtract 10 lbs, do 70% of that (where do people come up with these?). Today is back squat 7x5 at 75%.
My legs hurt today but not awful yet- that will happen tomorrow. Anyone know what this is and if it's good? I can ask today....

Welcome (back) lobster!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Welcome back, lobsteriffic!

Meggs, that's awesome! I started Stage 6 of NROLW today (and in a new gym, since I'm visiting my partner). I was going to add in squats but ended up only doing 1 set of 6 because I realized I should probably do the required moves first (ie split squats with a barbell) and then was too tired after to bother this time.

This one was working on getting me to pull ups so I did 3 negatives and then 10 sets of 2 underhand lat pull downs. That part was SO BORING. How do people do that?!?

But yeah. My arms and upper back are super tired right now which is a distinct sign that I'm going be sore tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Welcome lobster!
Lilliap, ugh. Ugh again to those 10 sets of 2. I distinctly remember being all "this sucks" and I think I turned it into 4 sets of 5. I do the at home version, where you are lifting the barbell over your head while lying on the floor, so its not like I could go so heavy (safely) where I would feel good about doing a set of 2.

Squat rack DVD = leg sore. The 2 day DOMS sore. Skipped my planned HIIT workout after chest/back today, just wasn't gonna happen. Meggs, is your question why your legs don't hurt the next day but hurt the day after?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:25 pm 
Chard Martyr

haha sorry emmalv- I was doing that whole stream-of-thought typing thing and that totally doesn't make sense upon looking back. I was asking if anyone knew what type of squat program that is, and what the benefits are. I asked today and it's Smolov Jr (someone said "he is to powerlifting like Einstein was to physics."

I couldn't even add weight today. Still too weak from the cold. what the fizzle so over this stuff.

Amandabear how is your possible TFL injury?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Welcome back, lobsteriffic! (Whenever I see you post I just want to call you Zoidberg.)

Meggs, that squat program sounds awesome/intense! I have enough trouble with 5x5. Of all the lifts, I have the most trouble with squats. My TFL thing is okay - I work out tomorrow (last time was Sunday), so I'll be stretching a lot and hoping for the best. I think it'll be okay as long as I'm conscious of it. My foam roller came in the mail today, so I can give that a shot as well.

Lillianp, 10 sets of 2 sounds dreadfully boring! Geez. What's the benefit of 10x2 vs 4x5 or something like that? Just more weight?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:55 am 

amandabear wrote:
Welcome back, lobsteriffic! (Whenever I see you post I just want to call you Zoidberg.)

Meggs, that squat program sounds awesome/intense! I have enough trouble with 5x5. Of all the lifts, I have the most trouble with squats. My TFL thing is okay - I work out tomorrow (last time was Sunday), so I'll be stretching a lot and hoping for the best. I think it'll be okay as long as I'm conscious of it. My foam roller came in the mail today, so I can give that a shot as well.

Lillianp, 10 sets of 2 sounds dreadfully boring! Geez. What's the benefit of 10x2 vs 4x5 or something like that? Just more weight?

Heavier weights, I think. The whole stage is trying to get you to be able to do a pull up. (I tried to get myself up to do the negatives and pulled myself up 4 inches!! so maybe I WILL get there during this stage, hah)

The entire workout A is 3 sets of 1 negative pull up, 10 sets of 2 reps of underhand lat pull downs, 2 sets of 10 barbell static lunges, and 2 sets of 10 pushups. So a LOT of upper body muscle development.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey guys! I'm joining this thread because weightlifting is pretty much the only form of exercise that I've found I actually enjoy. We no longer have a gym membership, which is a decision we made for many reasons, but the main one is I just hated having to go to the gym. My boyfriend and I are working out at home now in the mornings and I think that is much more effective for us.

However, the downside of course is that I don't have any equipment at home. We are going to a fitness store this weekend and we're hoping to check out some equipment and maybe even buy a few things, but our budget is limited.

What do you think is good for a starting home gym? We have a yoga mat and a fitness ball that needs inflation, but that's it. I want to get a set of dumb bells or a barbell set depending on what's cheapest. I really like kettle bells a lot! A bench seems like it would be helpful, but also annoying since it's a piece of furniture and will likely not be cheap.

I'm curious if any of you guys work out at home or what you would recommend!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yay, welcome pickledtreats! I work out at home. I've considered joining a gym, but honestly having my equipment at home is the only way I can guarantee that I'll actually do it, especially if the weather is bad or I'm tired, etc. I have a bench with squat stands attached, a 300 lb olympic barbell set, a set of standard dumbbell handles and about 30 lbs of plates, a squat box (homemade), small deadlifting platforms (homemade), and various other bits of equipment (yoga mat, fitness ball, videos, etc). Everything I didn't make myself I was able to get pretty cheaply on Craigslist - I'm not sure if something like that would be an option in your area, but if it is, it's a great way to get decent equipment for way less money than you'll spend buying it new.

As far as starting out with lifting, when I started I just had my set of standard dumbbell handles and the plates that came with it, and after a while I got my hands on a dinky little bench and a standard barbell set. Benches and barbells do take up quite a bit of space, so if you don't have that available, dumbbells and kettlebells are great options to get you started, and you can do modified versions of most of the major lifts with those. I think adjustable dumbbells, either the bar-and-plate kind I have or the fancy powerblock ones, are nice because you can make any weight you need without having to buy a million separate dumbbells. Also don't forget bodyweight exercises! They can be challenging and really effective with no equipment at all.

I'm still pretty new at this, so I'm sure some of the more seasoned lifters in this thread will have other suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

(I tried to get myself up to do the negatives and pulled myself up 4 inches!! so maybe I WILL get there during this stage, hah)quote]

That's awesome! I'm still in the trying to control my negatives all the way down phase. I'm working on it though...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Welcome pickledtreats! I also workout at home, and a lot of Amandabear's advice would overlap with mine. Picking up a barbell set and bench on Craig's list would be great, but this time of year might be tough. Maybe in a couple months if people give up (lol) there might be more Craig's list supply? Anyway, I started out with adjustable dumbbells - they go from 10 to 50 lbs each - and those are still the pieces of equipment I use the most. If I had to pick which to buy - a complete heavy dumbbells set or a bench and barbell set- I'd by the dumbbells first and save up/keep an eye out for a cheap bench and barbell weight set. If you really get into it, you'll pbly want a bench eventually but like Amandabear said, the dumbbells will work just fine for you in the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Do you guys have any thoughts about high bar vs low bar squatting? I've been playing around with my form on squats to see what works best for me and I can't really figure out which is better or why you do one vs the other. I'm googling this as well, of course, but I'd love any personal insight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:17 pm 
Chard Martyr

amandabear wrote:
Do you guys have any thoughts about high bar vs low bar squatting? I've been playing around with my form on squats to see what works best for me and I can't really figure out which is better or why you do one vs the other. I'm googling this as well, of course, but I'd love any personal insight.
I do both, depending! Low bar for heavy weights like a crazy one rep max (but I have someone spotting me, because once the bar is super heavy, it's hard to hold in that low position). High bar for regular squatting or squatting programs.

It feels like you're tipping forward (and sort of are) on low bar more than high bar.
Best thing I've been more conscious of lately with regard to squats is shoulder blades back, chest out. Helps kinda lock everything in position better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think I'm gravitating toward high bar - I'm able to get a bit deeper into the squat, and the more upright position just feels better to me for some reason.

Had a pretty great workout tonight! My squats felt good, and I got a new PR on OHP (55 lbs) and deadlift (188 lbs). The last set of overhead presses was not pretty, but I did it. Deadlifts felt really good, and since it's a two deadlift week, I'm looking forward to getting 193 on Sunday.

Post-workout, I attempted to foam roll the top and sides of my thighs - the areas that have been giving me trouble. I've heard you guys talk about how painful it is, but I didn't understand until now. Sweet mother of god, I was barely putting any pressure on at all and I thought I was going to cry. I wasn't even able to do it for very long and now those areas are really tender. Ow. I assume that means I need to do it more, unfortunately?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

emmalv wrote:
Welcome pickledtreats! I also workout at home, and a lot of Amandabear's advice would overlap with mine. Picking up a barbell set and bench on Craig's list would be great, but this time of year might be tough. Maybe in a couple months if people give up (lol) there might be more Craig's list supply?

Yes! March-April is prime buying time for fitness equipment on Craigslist, or that's been my experience anyway.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't even know the difference between high bar and low bar squats? I should be able to figure it out by the description but can't figure it out (hello, google). With a barbell and my vest, I either squat with the bar on my shoulders behind my head or front-squat style, with the bar held in front underhanded right between my neck and chest. I didn't know there were other ways...

Amandabear, welcome to the sweet, sweet hell of foam rolling.
And I would say a couple minutes at a time is all you need, and after your present pain subsides you can add in more days. Every day is probably too much right off the bat, but when you get used to it you might opt to. When I was much more diligent about it than I am now, I was foam rolling my calves and IT band every day, but by that point, it didn't hurt so much. I considered it more "maintenance" rather than actively trying to loosen it up.

In lifting news, woke up today with unexpected "the day after next" DOMS from my chest and back workout. Did the workout Tues, felt good Wed, blammo today, soreness. (Day After Next DOMS is not to be confused with Two Day DOMS.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Emmalv - this is a good picture to illustrate the different positions, I think:

High bar on left, low bar on right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:41 pm 
Chard Martyr

I did a 21-15-9 workout of dead lifts (145lbs) and hand stand push ups last night.
Holy moly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hand stand push ups?? Meggs, you are like a frickin' badass action hero.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 pm 

Meggs, holy crepe, that's awesome! Were they unsupported?

I did workout b of stage 6 and was BORED. So short! So I added some weighted (up to 95) squats at the beginning and then dumbbell romanian deadlifts (45/hand) at the end. Also did the elliptical because my partner's routine was taking far longer. The gym he goes to at school was being outfitted with new stuff so thankfully what I needed to do was dumbbell things, which they had plenty of and squats, which they still had the racks for. (the deadlift platforms were gone)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 47  Next