| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

^My reading has all indicated that over arched is as back as rounded. Keeping a natural arch, coupled with a giant breath of belly air, is where your spine is safest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's definitely not rounded as in hunched forward, but my concern is that I might be arching it too hard the other direction. Like the arch/curve is pretty exaggerated, not the same neutral spine position you'd have when standing up straight with correct posture. Hmm. I should just get over my weirdness and post in one of those terrifying form check forum threads.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I keep my back pretty arched too or at least try to. Heavier weights tend to force me into a straighter spine. S. has watched me squat and saw nothing wrong and I trust his judgement. I'll have the trainer check too when I do that.

It's a good thing to think about and check. Will have to try and figure out how to record it and check it...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sorry amamdabear, I wasn't clear in what I was saying.

By natural curve I meant applying an arch to you back without overforcing into a really hyperextended curve: so more pronounce than standing but not really awkwardly bent up. If you keep your eyes up (keeps your head up), your shoulders back and hinge from the hip, you back should very comfortable in the pronounced arch and not feel like it is being stressed. Over arching compromises the stability of the spine and is not a safe practice. As long as your arched the whole way, you should be doing fine without having to really hyper curve it.

Watch this excellent video for amount of curve reference (I may of posted it before but it is worth a second veiwing:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:31 pm 
WRETCHED

Did you guys read about the guy who broke his spine at a Crossfit competition? It is horrible. Definitely freak accident, this article covers it pretty well
http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/how- ... kevin-ogar

We know not to take weights lightly but I never imagined the bouncy weights would contribute to something like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

^ OMG, I made the mistake of watching it. Wow, poor dude. It happened so fast and was just brutal. The video doesn't seem to bounce of anything but appears to just land on him. I don't even know if a safety rack would of saved him from that harm. Sad story.

I only watched it once so I could be wrong about my interpretation.

My mum broke her spine in two places hiking...sometimes bad stuff happens doing normal kind of things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I know sometimes we can get hurt or even die from doing things we enjoy. That is the risk we take. The explanation I read was that the plates dropped, hit the bouncy plates on the floor and then bounced back to hit him in the spine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Linanil - I heard about that, and it's NUTS and so sad.

Jonny - Thank you for the video! I've seen some of that Squat RX series, but I don't think I've watched that one. I'm pretty sure the back arch issue is way down on the list of things I need to work on about my squat, but it came up in some articles I read recently and made me wonder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 pm 

I didn't watch any video and don't want to but that makes me super sad! I can only hope that this will remind organizers to take care and safety with planning. Of course things like this happen anyways, but it's always good to re-examine how to ensure safety.

Thanks for posting the squat video, jonnyguitar!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just did the first workout of the New Rules for Lifting for Women. I've done this program before back in the states when I had a membership to the Y and it's pretty much the only time I stuck to anything and the only time I've ever seen visible results. I got the Kindle book on my iPad and did Stage 1 Workout A today. I had to do quite a few modifications since I don't have much of the gym equipment, but I still wore myself out! So I guess that's a good sign.

I did the squats holding a 7 kilo dumbell and a 4 k kettle bell overhead. Even just that killed, but I could finish the reps so that's where I'm starting. Heavy for me!

I'm doing wall pushups and dumbbell rows with 7 kilo dumbbells. For the step-ups I'm using my staircase, but I wish we had a box since I have to be really careful I don't trip. And our Swiss ball is effed up (we can't find the little plug!) at the moment, so I did the jack-knife move on a yoga mat...and I didn't hold my hands under my but, which usually makes it easier.

It was a short workout, but it really killed. I'm glad I started at a level that is legitimately hard for me rather than "going easy" to start.

The authors of the book insinuate that you should totally rest on the days off, but I was thinking about running or doing some other cardio on days off when I feel like it. They warned about not giving the muscles you've worked out time to heal, but I don't know. I'm not familiar enough with anatomy and stuff to really know what to believe and what to take with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm glad your first workout went well, pickledtreats! I haven't done NRoLfW myself, but I do have the book and I know some others in this thread have had success with it. Regarding cardio on your off days - rest is important, especially as your weights get heavier, but if you feel up to it, give it a shot! I wouldn't do all-out heart-busting cardio on rest days, personally. I used to do 45 minutes to an hour of kickboxing on some of my rest days from weights, but I stopped when I noticed that the kickboxing was starting to just wear me out instead of pumping me up like it used to. These days, if I exercise on my rest days, it's yoga or hiking or other low-impact things like that. Really intense, extended cardio isn't a great rest for your body. I remember ndpittman having a similar issue when she was both lifting and running - you can do both, but after a certain point one or the other will suffer.

But really, it will depend on your body, so go for it - just pay attention to how you feel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

amandabear wrote:
I'm glad your first workout went well, pickledtreats! I haven't done NRoLfW myself, but I do have the book and I know some others in this thread have had success with it. Regarding cardio on your off days - rest is important, especially as your weights get heavier, but if you feel up to it, give it a shot! I wouldn't do all-out heart-busting cardio on rest days, personally. I used to do 45 minutes to an hour of kickboxing on some of my rest days from weights, but I stopped when I noticed that the kickboxing was starting to just wear me out instead of pumping me up like it used to. These days, if I exercise on my rest days, it's yoga or hiking or other low-impact things like that. Really intense, extended cardio isn't a great rest for your body. I remember ndpittman having a similar issue when she was both lifting and running - you can do both, but after a certain point one or the other will suffer.

But really, it will depend on your body, so go for it - just pay attention to how you feel.

That's what I'm thinking. I have a bad tendency to overdo everything once I start and then crash and burn, so I'm thinking I should follow this plan as it's set out for a while. I can bike to work if I want to get some fresh air or take a walk after work, but I'll take it easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pickledtreats, I just started re-doing the NROLFW series, so we can cheer each other on and/or commiserate, whichever the case may be. I'm glad you liked the first workout and it was challenging for you. Its a good base because the next phases do get a little bit longer.

As far as cardio and rest days, well, I am probably not the best person to answer because I tend to overdo it as well. However, I consider myself a reformed Cardio Queen and now try and be smarter about fitting it in and about the types I do. Like Amandabear said, extended cardio is not the best for you, so I have traded super long runs as my regular routine for things like HIIT intervals or maybe a kettlebell workout. Anyway, I would say make sure you take a couple days of rest or active recovery if you just want to move around some (like an easy bike ride, walking), and for the harder cardio, maybe limit to no more than twice per week but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If you are feeling cashed, just bag it and do something a little less strenuous.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 pm 

pickledtreats, I do some cardio on days off. Well.I bike every day so there's that but sometimes I do stair running or hill running as well. It's worked well for me as long as I'm comfortable not hitting the speeds I have in the past pre-weights. I imagine I'll get back there again but am not concerned with how long it takes.

I just finished the 2nd workout of stage 7 of NROLfW and liked it less than the 1st, but it was still good. Still really hard and pushed me a lot.

...Part of that is because I had a serious hindrance in regards to grip strength since I currently am dealing with a partially ripped callous. OUCH. I neglected to care for it as I should've and made it rip a bit into new skin. I'm annoyed at myself because it forced me to lower weight I wouldn't otherwise have had to lower for a set.

ETA: ALSO, I did incline chest presses with 40 lb dumbbells! !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

ahh i have injuries on my hands too that derailed lifting. it sucks. i went to town on the three inch thick ice on our driveway/sidewalk, and then my neighbour's on either side too, thinking i still had my summer landscaping hands (really tough). i forgot my hands were baby soft again, so sores everywhere from broken blisters that i didn't notice. i have some calluses from deadlifting, but they are tiny and totally useless for anything other than deadlifting.

i am afraid to watch that video, but i think morbid curiosity will get the better of me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Have you guys considered fingerless gloves for some of the lifting? I have never used them, because I want to get used to the grip without it, but seems like that could protect the skin.

I really need to figure out the Swiss ball thing because without that I'm going to have some trouble modifying some of the moves otherwise. Thomas and I aren't planning on getting a bench anytime soon unless we discover a foldable one for a decent price on the Dutch Craigslist. I so wish the small barbell was for sale when we bought the dumbbells, but it's on back order until April. I much prefer the bar for bent-over rows and deadlifts and squats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:27 pm 
Impressive boner

I use lifting gloves for heavy work with the barbell. I can't use them with kettlebells though as the combination pinches my existing callouses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I used gloves when I first started, but as the weight increased I found it interfered with my grip a bit, so I don't anymore. I don't seem to get too torn up from lifting, though - I have small callouses from deadlifting, but nothing major.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Speaking of deadlifts... 200 lb deadlift: ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

My work set today was at 198, so after I finished I threw on 2 more pounds and did a rep at 200. It felt good! Which is nice since the rest of my workout felt pretty shitty. Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm 
Chard Martyr

Good job, amandabear!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 pm 

OH YAY AMANDABEAR! That's so exciting! I have deadlifts in either the next workout or the one after and I'm thinking of trying to get a PB before settling to the sets. Definitely going for 145, maybeeee 150!

I am SO EXCITED about using the big plates (45ers).

If my callous still hurts to the touch tomorrow evening (the only reason this happened is because I got a painful blister under my callous) I'll probably get some kind of tape to wrap my hand in so I stop bugging it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks guys! It was pretty awesome. I'm excited to keep going. Next logical goal, I guess, would be 2 plates - 225. That actually seems totally doable, which in and of itself is CRAZY.

Lillianp - I bet you could get 150! It's awesome how quickly the deadlift progresses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow. I have a total of 35 kilos in dumbbells and I'm going to give them a try with the deadlift tomorrow. We will see if it's possible...otherwise I will start taking plates off and working back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

You can probably lift more than you think! But it's good to start low and work your way up. It's a lot harder to learn/focus on good form with heavy weights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:33 am 
Nailed to the V

amandabear wrote:
Speaking of deadlifts... 200 lb deadlift: ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

Wow, super awesome!! I tell people of your progress frequently, from your first post and your 5 lbs. dumbbells to where you are now...you are inspiring people all over North Vancouver. Two plates should be totally achievable and would make the legend of amadabear even better in these parts.

Quote:
We've come a long long way together,
Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,

[Repeat: x2]
I have to praise you like I should.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 45  Next