| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:07 am 
Smuggling Raisins

yay amandabear! enjoy this sparker gif of celebration.

in breaking news, i am very close to being out of plates for my barbell. only have some 5 and 2.5 lb plates left at home. time to scour craigslist for more (and maybe a squat rack)! fingers crossed for more weird beige mid eighties concrete/plastic monstrosities to match the weights i've inherited.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So my second workout in the NRFLW was terrible! I could barely finish/do the exercises since my legs are still like jello from the first one. Grrr. I also have no way of doing a modified lat pull down - any ideas?

And I have a question about deadlifts. How many of you do a regular one vs a Romanian one? I kind of prefer the Romanian, but I'm not sure why.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 am 
Smuggling Raisins

i'm almost finished the first stage of NR... and lately i've been feeling kinda jelly-like too, especially when doing anything push-up or overhead press related. like i know i can finish a set, but my arms are like, 'nope.' i work out at home and do the pullover w/5lb dumbells instead of the lat pulldown, but i definitely can feel the shoulder blade limitations that are described in the book. they feel really weird to me and i can't imagine ever doing more than 5lbs in each hand, either!

i've been doing regular deadlifts, but started adding a rep of romanian deadlifts because it seems everything i've been reading up on tells me that stronger hamstrings = less prone to knee injuries. there's something about the romanian deadlifts that makes me feel like i am going to break my back and it kinda scares me, though i'm pretty sure i'm keeping it arched/have the flexibility to do the whole range of motion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I do regular deadlifts. Depending how you're built, different styles might feel better or worse. I think it has a lot to do with your femur:torso:arm length ratios. I've tried pulling sumo, but it feels super awkward.

Lat pull-downs - Googling mostly comes up with dumbbell rows as a substitute/alternative.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Amandabear, bravo! That's awesome!

Pickledtreats: I do both stiff-legged and regular deadlifts. I find that my weight on the stiff-legged ones are about 30% less than the normal ones, probably for the reason postnothing says: I am super conscious of not tweaking by back.
Regarding lat pulldowns, in addition to bent over rows, what I do is lay flat on the ground, start with an ez curl bar straight over me (so my arms are sticking up like the top of a bench press) and then slowly lower the bar behind my head on the floor and bring it back up. Really think about trying to use those back muscles.

Also, your gloves question. I had a cheapo pair that were really thin and I liked them but they fell apart almost immediately. I think the rough grooves on the barbell got the best of them (as they were getting the best of my hands!) and those pair were probably designed for holding super light dumbbells. I've moved on to Schiek gloves. They were a little more expensive, like $30 on Amazon, but my husband (to whom I delegate all weird internet purchases) had a somewhat hard time finding sturdy non-leather gloves for females. They run a little big and I cut down the tips, and after I got used to them I really like them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:42 pm 
Impressive boner

Skinned a callous today. Stingy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

8ball - ouch! Pesky little buggers.

I took advantage of a partial snow day today and got my first workout of the week in early - and decided to make the switch from 5x5 to 3x5. I've been wondering if I should for a while, and I think it's going to be better - 5x5 was just getting to be too much, especially squatting 3x a week. I'd have zero left in the tank and it was getting hard to recover from. This time I did all my work sets plus a few assistance exercises and still finished in less time than it was taking me to do just the main lifts before. And my bench is finally over 80 lbs! For the longest time I was having trouble getting past 75, but today I did 81. Woo! And now it's time for the most effective of all post-workout snacks: a protein bar and a beer.

I hope everyone's lifting is going well!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

pickledtreats wrote:
I also have no way of doing a modified lat pull down - any ideas?

And I have a question about deadlifts. How many of you do a regular one vs a Romanian one? I kind of prefer the Romanian, but I'm not sure why.

You can do lateral pullups off the bar on the rack (think reverse push up), bent over rows pulling back towards the hips is good for lats/bent over rows pulling straight up to the shoulders works the upper back. Pullovers, which have been mentioned, are a great overall upperbody exercise: they were once considered to be as important for upper body as squats are for lower body. They fell out of favour years ago but are making a comeback. Watch you don't overstress your elbow with too much weight...you don't need much to really do some good work.

Romanians and deads are very different things. If you can only do one, deads are the one to choose because they are compound and work the most amount of muscles in your body at one time. If you are having problems because your bar is too close to the ground (135 lbs total or less means smaller weights than 45lbs) you will need to elevate the bar up to around 9". Lifting from too low (deficit lifting) is harder to do with proper form and harder to do in general.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I actually did the under 135 for the LONGEST time. Sometimes I used the fancy bouncy plates at my gym (10s & 25s) and sometimes I didn't because I do/did have the mobility to do that.

Amandabear, you were correct in your estimation: I got to 150 lbs tonight! I had a REALLY hard time getting it so I'm pretty sure I'm fairly close to my max. I'll try and see if I can get 1 or 2 at 155 in a week, see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That's awesome, lillianp! Soon 150 will be a warm up set.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:56 am 
Nailed to the V

amandabear wrote:
That's awesome, lillianp! Soon 150 will be a warm up set.

ditto, you gals are killing it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:16 am 

I hope so! I like using these big plates. :) Makes feel like a real lifter! Now I just have to get there with squats. (20 pounds to gooo)

My hamstrings are getting stronger/bigger/more defined which I'm very much happy about. Glad to finally be working on this whole quad dominance thing I had going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got some weird leg doms going on today. I was doing sets of front squats yesterday instead of my usual back squats, and while they felt far easier on hips and outer glutes, my inner glutes are just killing me today..like I repeatedly sat down too hard on a bicycle seat. Maybe that was tmi but I am wondering if that is a normal dom for front squats?

You know those days when the outer hips are really stiff don't want to squat? Next time try some front squats because they are certainly less taxing on the flh/outer hip area. You do have to do some sldl's to hit the hams because the front squat is quad dependent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:33 pm 

S. was warning me that I should be getting 2nd day DOMS with the Deadlifts I did yesterday. I'm starting to stiffen up in the hamstrings this evening so what he said might be true... I look forward to tomorrow morning!

I think my ripped callous thing is starting to heal so I'm hoping tomorrow's workout won't be quite as hindered by grip strength as the last two. I HOPE, I PRAY.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Bah, this morning was one of those workouts where the weight feels a million times more heavy than it usually does. It happens, I know, doesn't mean it's not frustrating!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm 

GUYS, my squats no longer felt awful so I got a new PB, 140 pounds!! I'm so tired now. My grip strength is still total crepe though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

lillianp wrote:
GUYS, my squats no longer felt awful so I got a new PB, 140 pounds!! I'm so tired now.

So cool!!!! What gives? What made for the big jump and comfort? Welcome to big plate squats! You're gonna be sore tomorrow :-)

My back is aching from my workout today: I sorted out my record collection and drank beer....seriously, way harder on the back than my back day 2 hour workout.

500th post. What will you all be pb'ing by the time I hit 1000? At the rate your all going it should be something outrageous and awesome!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Lillianp, that is AWESOME! I'm idling at 108 on squats right now but they are slowly (slooooowly) feeling a little bit better. 140 is amazing!

Lobsteriffic - Those days are the worst! I feel like whenever that happens it means I need a little more rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:34 pm 

I have no idea! But my bike ride home tonight was HARRRDDDDDD. It just got progressively worse over the day and now I'm about 24 hours out from my workout and I just don't. want. to. move.

I have no idea how that happened, quite honestly, but squats had been feeling... weak? Or something? recently but I hadn't done them in a week or something. Maybe over-squatting?

So glad to be on the big plates! I might even manage the big plates for full sets next time. :)

Lobsteriffic, my whole hearted sympathies. Those days suck.

Jonny Guitar, hopefully much heavier judging by your number of posts vs join date! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 am 

Ugh, guys, my quads are better but apparently thursday was also really good on my shoulders. So. Sore.

This whole DOMS thing is weird. I sometimes get it I sometimes don't, even when I hit PRs/PBs and am working up a sweat during the workout.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

DOMS is weird... There are days that I'm like "yeah, tomorrow is going to be brutal" and I feel like I can do it all over again. And then there are days where its like, damn, where did this come from?

Congrats on your squat PR!

Almost through phase 1 of NROLFW, and I kept my old worksheets so its kinda cool to see how much more I can lift than the first go around. I'm still in cut mode so I'm not seeing any awesome PR's - I'm living vicariously through you guys in that regard. I wish I felt like I was in a place to start a bulk - 6 or so more lbs and I should be ok to start (?), but dangit, losing smartly, with minimum LBM loss, is agggggonnnnnizzzzingly slooooooowwwww.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:21 pm 

Emmalv, I feel you! I'm just not doing the dieting thing so I'm kind of accepting where I am. I'm pretty sure I'm re-comping at least somewhat because I'm definitely getting more definition pretty much everywhere. I'm just way too lazy to do the cut part right now. I figure it'll come more naturally in the summer when I'm outside more and I feel less like eating lots of warm foods.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:07 pm 

I feel like I"m posting so much right now. Since S. is actually being social tonight, I can't vidchat with him so I'm distracting myself and have been watching Elliott Hulse on youtube. This particular video, about halfway through, he mentions the nervous system vs the muscular system and light weights helping build up the nervous system/get you used to weight lifting. I think that may explain part of why my PRs just kind of exploded! (That, maybe my smaller muscles are catching up to the big ones & the fact that I've been forced to stop running due to a stupid injury that doesn't affect lifting)

http://youtu.be/tFnwEsqJABU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:36 am 
WRETCHED

I joined a gym y'all... It is a small gym, reminds me of the type of gyms that existed before big chains took over. It is definitely a lot of no frills.

I've been missing barbells terribly.

I decided to do this program for the next couple weeks just to get myself back
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-cond ... ek-1-day-1

I'll be off a week due to travel, then when I come back I may continue or do something else.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yay, linanil! Welcome to the lifting of heavy things thread! I hope you love the new gym - I like that it sounds old school in a good way.

The breaking muscle program looks good! So it looks like the workouts of the day will be posted weekly, if I'm reading that right? I actually kind of like that concept.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 48  Next