| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have gloves but I never use them as I thought that they maybe actually made it harder for me to grip. I have a few little calluses that are always there but they're not so bad, definitely not something anyone would notice. I have heard that using chalk can help at times but a lot of gyms have banned this.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Do you know the reason behind banning it, Quarantined? Just the mess or something sinister? I thought about gloves, but I don't know. My hands aren't bad or anything.

I have a session with the trainer tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I think it's just for the mess- some places like the YMCA I would just go ahead and use it and clean up afterwards but other gyms are really uptight.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:11 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Question....

So I know there are vegan protein powders out there.. hemp, soy, rice & pea blends etc. But if we are trying to follow a whole foods vegan diet and avoid refined foods like refined sugar, refined flower, refined oil, etc. should we avoid refined protein powders as well? Is the process of refining these natural foods into a more potent form any different? The reason I ask is because I was discussing my diet with my GI (butt doctor) a few weeks ago and he suggested dropping the protein powders since I wanted to eat a whole foods diet. I stopped taking them about a month and a half ago and have been lifting the entire time. I have continued to get stronger and build a little bit of mass (I think). Basically I am okay with the slower harder route if it is better for my body in the long term, but I don't want to make things more difficult if there isn't sound reasoning behind it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

You need a microplane or a pedegg or whatever to take care of your hands. LOVE it. Takes enough dry skin off but doesn't remove the callus so that you can keep a nice layer without it looking scummy.

http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-Foot-F ... 002YF5YIW/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

emmalv wrote:
I bought gloves for this reason, figured that out pretty quickly. And because my husband said, and I quote, "you will end up with hands of a dockworker."
They help a lot, but on a tangent here, I'm kind of peeved that they are black with pink. Why must all (ok just a lot) women's fitness stuff be pink? Is it to remind me that I'm still a girl even though I'm lifting weights? Or better yet so that others know that I'm a girl even though I'm lifting weights?

I KNOW. My bike shoes are black with pink and it drives me nuts. I haven't yet had any issues with callouses/etc. I have light callouses already from cycling/whatever so maybe they'll stay the same? Maybe not?

Tynamite, I don't use protein powders mostly because I didn't like how the Vega one made me feel and I don't like how they taste in general (I've tried two different kinds, Vega & something else). I just started weight lifting so I'll see if I need to add a protein powder in later. I dunno. I think protein powders aren't that bad overall though..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The pedegg is a good idea for the callouses but I found the gloves also help with my grip, which I need because apparently I have weak hands - does anyone else feel like they are going to drop dumbbells just because their hands are tired? When I am doing lunges and have 40lbs or so in each hand, I swear, by the end my hands are just like "had enough already."

Tynamite, if the protein powders upset your stomach or digestion then I wouldn't take them obviously, but if the reason not to is simply for the sake of not eating anything refined, I think that is something you just have to decide for yourself. For me, I don't use protein powder every day but if its a lower protein day, I try to work one in because for me, ensuring I'm getting enough of a variety of protein is more important than avoiding anything refined.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

regarding gloves, I prefer the old school straps that secure around your wrist. I only use them when I do back however. I use them because when doing a set to failure, I want to make sure "going to failure" means that the targeted muscle (lats) have gone to failure and that I am not hitting failure prematurely because my forearms or grip are a weak link.

As far as the protein powders, they don't give me an upset stomach or anything. I might just be brainwashed from everything I've read about ingesting anything that's been refined into an unnaturally potent, concentrated form, whether it's sugar, wheat, or cocaine (ok I'm being dramatic now). For now I'll lay off them until I can do more research.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm 
Impressive boner

I have gloves for use with the olympic bar but can't use them with kettlebells (lack of grip, nipping calluses) so use chalk for those. I make sure to wash off the chalk afterwards and moisturize properly, and file the calluses down with an emery board.

Tynamite - would something like Sunwarrior organic raw protein powder fit the bill?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:56 pm 

My trainer was just mentioning straps to me today! I am thinking about gloves to start with (especially after today's session). It was awesome! Very thoughtful warm up to "turn on" the right muscles (band walks, backward lunges, crunches), then squats and deadlifts. And I think I squatted 90lbs? I'm so glad I bit the bullet and did this, because he has my squat form completely different than what I was doing, and it feels so much better. And I used the trap bar, learned about the proper distance (using those random big 10 lbs weights to be the right distance from the floor). Deadlifted 115 for 5x5. I'm pretty happy with myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'll look into the Sunwarrior product 8ball, thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:35 pm 

Taste wise I think the Sun Warrior Vanilla is better than the Chocolate. I guess neither have much taste to them, but I think the vanilla is less noticeable or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the info on the straps, Tynamite. I'll take a look into them because yeah, like you infer, I sometimes feel like the targeted muscle can keep going but my grip is what is giving out and holding me back. I'm totally new at this and its a whole different world of working out from what I'm accustomed...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Np Emmalv. Here is a vid I just found that shows how they work.

They are pretty inexpensive as well, around $6... http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/straps.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 am 
Huffs Nooch

Tynamite wrote:
Question....

So I know there are vegan protein powders out there.. hemp, soy, rice & pea blends etc. But if we are trying to follow a whole foods vegan diet and avoid refined foods like refined sugar, refined flower, refined oil, etc. should we avoid refined protein powders as well? Is the process of refining these natural foods into a more potent form any different? The reason I ask is because I was discussing my diet with my GI (butt doctor) a few weeks ago and he suggested dropping the protein powders since I wanted to eat a whole foods diet. I stopped taking them about a month and a half ago and have been lifting the entire time. I have continued to get stronger and build a little bit of mass (I think). Basically I am okay with the slower harder route if it is better for my body in the long term, but I don't want to make things more difficult if there isn't sound reasoning behind it.

Interested to read this as I've toyed with the idea of ditching the shakes recently. Not because I worry about refined foods in principle, just because my guts have been a bit dodgy of late so I wonder if the protein powder is having an effect. That said I've been using protein powders consistently for the best part of a decade & never had issues before so could just be one of those things that will resolve itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:22 am 
Huffs Nooch

Gloves are best avoided IMO unless you're wary of calluses for aesthetic reasons. Personally I think calluses are cool - the sign of someone who takes their training seriously. I don't file mine, I just wait until they're quite dry & pronounced then cut them off with nail clippers. Sometimes I leave it too long & get the odd tear in the gym when doing heavy pulling exercises but generally there's no blood just a bit of pain (especially when you rub liquid chalk into the tear!!).

Likewise I'm not a fan of straps. If you're using straps to mitigate for weak grip you'll just perpetuate the issue & always be playing catch-up with your grip strength. Better to work on your grip so that it's not limiting your pulling strength.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 am 
WRETCHED

Tynamite wrote:
Question....

You could use hemp seeds/hearts but I used to use protein powders out of laziness. I wanted a quick smoothie in the morning. Now I make shakes, sometimes using ultimate meal which is a whole foods powder. It isn't the tastiest but mixed with a little apple and banana, it is pretty good. Otherwise, I don't think you need protein powders for lifting. Try some green smoothies and focus on protein rich vegan foods.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I beat my husband arm-wrestling. Not really, but I'm taking it. He started to let me win as he usually does, but he got arrogant AND underestimated my awesomeness and soon found himself past the point of no return, and I totally won. (Full disclosure, after he got serious and pbly felt he needed to reassert his manhood or whatever he beat me in the rematch in like 2 seconds.) But I'm ignoring that part! I won!

Seriously though, he was impressed with the strength improvements I've made in such a short amount of time (beginner's gains, but still) and I am too. I'm really glad I started lifting the heavy things. How is everyone else doing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am 

My trainer bought me straps! I think that is so sweet. To thank him I deadlifted 135lbs. He wants me to be able to squat that by the time we're through our session (3 more). My overhead press is still total shiitake, but I worked on it with him, and I feel better about my form now anyway. I might start working with something lighter than the Oly bar because I'm not quite there yet without a spot (and I felt really weird with this random albeit nice guy spotting me at the gym).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

emmalv wrote:
Seriously though, he was impressed with the strength improvements I've made in such a short amount of time (beginner's gains, but still) and I am too. I'm really glad I started lifting the heavy things. How is everyone else doing?

Gotta love beginner's gains! I started aggressively lifting and eating to bulk about 2 1/2 months ago and earlier this week I woke up and groggily went into the washroom. I was brushing my teeth and honestly, when I looked in the mirror, it was like someone had photo-shopped an athletic muscular body under my head. It was totally surreal and very motivating.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:00 pm 
Impressive boner

Anyone having problems with their hands blistering during training in the summer heat? I've been getting them over the last couple of weeks as we're having the warmest weather since 2006.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have such a bad strength imbalance - I can squat more than I can deadlift. I need to work on that.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, because you guys all inspire me! I've never been super fit, but I got really near-dead sick last year, and it was the first time in my life that I've ever felt legitimately weak. I mean, when they finally let me out of the hospital I had no muscle left. I had to stay with my boyfriend because I couldn't get up the single flight of stairs to my apartment, and I still had to take a nap and a painkiller after walking up the 3 steps into his. It was pretty terrible. So ever since I've been able to start working out regularly again, I've been really into the idea of lifting heavier stuff and getting strong. I want muscles! All I currently have are some dinky 5 lb dumbbells, which aren't cutting it anymore even doubled up, so I've been stalking Craigslist looking for a weight set. I'm currently waiting to hear back from a few people, so hopefully I'll be able to de-lurk and join the discussion sometime soon.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 am 

Yea, amandabear!! I'm so glad to see you here! There is nothing like the feeling weight lifting gives you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 am 
WRETCHED

Yay amandabear!

I told my husband to put my Olympic bar away a couple weeks ago and I'm wondering if that was the right decision now. It isn't impossible to get but I'd need his help. I'm thinking that after my work challenge is done, I should start focusing on weights. The work challenge is walking or running based and takes a lot of time but I've been fitting in other workouts as well. I could also go back to the gym which has a squat rack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next