| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Ooh, I like that suitcase lift and I do it when I moving weights around but I have never done it as a full exercise. Must be great for the obliques.

Amanda, your numbers are fantastic! Is your husband starting to get threatened by your impressive numbers? "Honey, I have a flat tire. Can you please just lift up the back of the Prius for a few minutes."

When I do the Single legged deads I have my sawhorse set-up in case I need to grab for support instead of falling on my face. Wait until tomorrow....best ham doms ever with that exercise!

It's funny, my boyfriend is this big barrel-chested lumberjack-looking guy who's got 10'' and probably 100 lbs on me but I can deadlift significantly more than him. Actually I think I might be able to deadlift HIM now, weight-wise. I've tried to rope him into lifting with me but he just has no interest.

Yep, the obliques are apparently what the suitcase deadlift really targets. I'm always looking for ways to work my abs without actually doing ab work, if that makes sense, so it's getting added into the rotation for sure.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ugh guys, I think I have to stop lifting for a week at least. My shoulder was feeling better so I did some test light weight things using my arms and today it's just continually sore. My lower back is also been sore (not super sore, just.. kind of sore off and on throughout the day) so I'm going to give it at least a week before getting back into weights. If either is sore next thursday I'll probably have to take more time. I hate injuries. :( Pretty sure I have a bit of swelling in my shoulder because sensation in my lower arm is not 100% Ice has become my new best friend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Boo, I'm sorry Lillianp! That sucks. Hopefully you heal up quickly with a little rest!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

lillianp -- sounds like bursitis (swelling of the bursae sac which hurts and can cause nerve impingement) in the shoulder. Rest, ice and anti-inflammatory gel will certainly help and save you a ton of time in the long run. I "worked through" my pain until it got really bad: I have been off for a month and I am not even half way to being to the rehab exercises.

I found some good physio exercises at this site for after the pain subsides: http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_shoulder_bursitis_exercises/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:44 pm 

Yeah, might be bursitis, could also be an extension of tendonitis in my elbow? I'm more concerned about my lower back. I did deadlifts when i shouldn't have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

^^ lillianp, it sounds like we suffer from the same mentality. I come from a running/biking/endurance background and I always dealt with little pains during workouts that went away if you pressed through them. In fact I frequently wake up and have sore something, and my second response - after stretching/rollig - has always been to go for a long walk or bike ride...always works.

I am slowly, and stubbornly learning that is not the way to deal with lifting pains: if something hurts, it hurts for a reason and needs attention. Maybe that is just for me but I would bet it is the way of the lifting world outside of steroid users.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 pm 

Yeah, i think we do. I hiked over two thousand miles and learned how to hike theough pain, which i then applied to running and cycling here. But that doesnt work for lifting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Agreed that lifting through the pain is not the way to go. When I used to do more cardio-y stuff I wouldn't really be bothered by little aches and pains, but anytime I've tried to work through pain when lifting it's only made it worse.

One arm suitcase deadlift verdict: way way way harder than I expected. Even just using the bar I failed pretty miserably. I could lift it, obviously, I just couldn't get the barbell to balance in my hand. I actually put a dent in out wood floors when it tipped forward particularly hard. I figured out eventually that if I held it more toward the front I could make it work, but I think I managed to complete one successful rep all told. Gotta keep working on these for sure.

So far my accessory choices with 5/3/1 have been proven to be very humbling experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had never heard of accessory deadlifts and just googled them - I can definitely see how they'd work the obliques - they look hard. Maybe, for balance issues Amandabear, dumbbells are the way to go? Other "wow those really get more core/obliques" exercises I've run into are pushups with your feet on a stability ball (more the whole core obv, but now its a fave alternative from just a plank or crunch) and 2 moves from NROLFW: One is you start on a low box holding 2 dumbbells, lunge backwards with one leg while bringing the dumbbells forward. When you bring your lunge foot back to the box you stand up and shrug back with the DB, and for some reason that balancing and subtle move seem to hit my obliques. You need heavy weights, light ones pbly won't do it in terms of feeling it in your core. The other is to squat with 1 lighter DB raised over your head and in your other hand a heavier DB dangling in front of you.

Sending you healing vibes Lilianp. I think Jonny brings up a good point about the endurance training mentality/background and working through pain. I can relate - I'd run and hike through any little wonkiness but Amandabear is so right - try doing that with lifting and its downhill fast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:37 pm 

Yeah-I'm trying to re-train my brain on this one, which is always a struggle. I couldn't find a way to do non-aggravating exercises, so I'm staying away for at least a week. In other news, when I have a low back strain and am dealing with some pretty depressing life crepe, I carry my stress in my back and start thinking I have a herniated disc which makes my back feel worse, psychosomatically. Best feeling ever. Finally let go of the stress & took a bath and now have hope that I"ll be able to lift again within two weeks. We'll see!

I'm really curious about the suitcase deadlift, it looks really interesting, I'm definitely going to have to try it, once I'm back in lifting shape.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Lillianp, I swear that every single month when my back starts aching like mad a few days before my period, I think I messed it up lifting. I hope you feel better soon!

The suitcase deads are really hard. It's not the weight, it's balancing it! Picking up a plate or a kettlebell with one hand is no big deal, but balancing a 7' bar really threw me for a loop. Definitely one I have to keep working on.

Emmalv - Thanks for the exercise suggestions! I remember you mentioning those light/heavy dumbbell squat things before and they definitely sound interesting. I think using dumbbells for the suitcase deads is tempting and would definitely be easier, but it probably defeats the point a little bit if the aim is to have to stabilize an unwieldy load.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I can totally see how stabilizing the bar will engage those muscles - my immediate thought was that a DB would still work the obliques simply from having uneven weight on each side of the body. I'll try it today with both methods and see. I have carpet and mats in my exercise room so my floors will be safe while the oly bar is crashing about, ha.

In other news, I got a nice little bonus from work so I ordered those fractional plates! I'm pretty excited, they should be here Tues. And I think I'm switching to Simply Shredded. I'm not feeling NROLFW only because I already did it, and I think I just want to keep it simpler and concentrate on big compound moves. Lately I feel like I've been expending too much effort mapping out my week's workouts to make sure I get enough cardio for cal burning, HIIT for fat burning, lifting hitting this part or that part (yes, I am completely A- personality - no judgment!), etc. I'm going to follow their routine for 12 weeks and be done with it, starting tomorrow. I already feel mentally lighter.

How many times a week does everyone lift and/or workout? Just curious. Some weeks its 6 days for me, last week it was 4. Generally I end up around 5 but some days may "just" be lifting or a run, and some days are both.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:57 pm 

Since I don't own a car and usually bike to get anywhere I need to go, if you include biking, almost always 7 days a week. When I'm not injured I average 5-6 with 3 lifting days (though if I do simply shredded, I'll be doing 4/week instead) with 2-3 days of intense cardio (november project in boston)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

2-3 days/week lifting, and 2 3h roller derby practices/week. anymore and i probably wouldn't be able to move, haha. though i will be adding bike commuting once the weather stops being so weird here. example: last night managed to be both icy and floody!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ok, so at least a few of us do get in cardio and other exercise, that makes me feel better. Some of these sites (bodybuilding, lifting websites that is) kind of make it sound like lifting is everything and just lift an hour 3 times a week otherwise you waste away to nothing. Whatev's. Having said that thought, my legs are so sore from my workout yesterday, so much that I just managed some walking today. I have been really concentrating on deliberate, A2G squats and playing around with both strength sets in the 6 rep range and endurance/form sets around 20. Yesterday I did 3 sets of 10 @ 95 and 1 set of 20 @ 50, and that and rear lunges (3 sets 10@ 50) was enough to wreck me for today!

I also tried the suitcase deadlifts with both DB and the bar. I actually like the DB better and felt it just as much if not more in my obliques as the bar. I think with the bar I was too preoccupied with just keeping it level, whereas the DB allowed me to keep better form and engage my core so that I could feel each side working to stay straight and level, if that makes any sense. So my anecdotal conclusion is that the obliques get worked enough just from "staying straight" holding the uneven weight, not necessarily from balancing the weight. Anyone else try it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Emmalv, that is interesting! I'll give the dumbbells a try when I work out tonight.

In terms of frequency/type of exercise, I lift 3x a week and that's usually all I do with the exception of walks during my lunch break at work or weekend hikes or things like that. If I'm feeling extra stiff I will throw in a session or two of yoga during the week as well, but mostly it's just the lifting. Before I started this I was doing 30-60 minutes of kickboxing 4-5x a week, so way more intense cardio... honestly I haven't lost weight from other activity, and while the change from lifting hasn't been huge, there HAS been a change in my body, much moreso than I ever noticed from cardio. Everyone is different in that respect though. Mostly I just like this better, so I'm actually excited to do it and that's what really matters.

In other news, we went on a little weekend trip to Baltimore and walked like 6 miles around the city on Saturday, which was lovely but today my shins are screaming. Every step hurts. Shin splints maybe? In any case I guess being cooped up all winter and not doing much hiking or taking long walks took its toll. Another reason spring needs to hurry up and get here already!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:25 pm 
WRETCHED

I just wanted to check in! I haven't been weight lifting recently which is ok with me. I am doing a 10 week challenge at my gym and every week we have a number of a certain exercise to do, they are mostly body weight exercises. This week is plank walk outs which I have decided are my most hated exercise. I thought I hated burpees but no, these are worse. Or maybe not but they have a lot of components that burpees have.

I've also been working with a personal trainer and we do a lot of body weight exercises and since my body weight is high, it takes a lot of effort. I do some dumbbell work as well but it is interval training.

And the other day, I was doing squats and I felt something shift in my hip and I did my lowest squat ever. I was pretty excited.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:39 pm 

Linanil, that's awesome! I need to work on my squat depth. I also need to figure out what to do about my shoe situation. I had a dream about cutting into the side part of the rubber sole on my converse shoes to let them have a little more give. I can't spread my toes in these and I think that might be part of the problem since I do that to help with balance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That's great Linanil! I'm constantly amazed at how bodyweight exercises can be so challenging. I've never tried plank walk outs but now I'm curious! And congrats on getting your squat depth down! That's been a huge challenge for me.

Emmalv - I tried the suitcase deads with a dumbbell tonight and it worked much better. I did still definitely feel it and had to work to keep from leaning to the side, so I think that solves that problem. Thanks!

In my quest to try out every style of squat under the sun, I did some zercher squats tonight. That is a weird damn squat. I kind of like it, though - it seems to really work the core, which means it was super challenging for me. I think I might start adding them in as an accessory after my front squats or maybe on dead day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 pm 

Just got back from the doctor. I thankfully likely do NOT have a herniated disc! Huzzah! Except I'm still having to take 6 weeks off from lifting. :(

Looks like I"m probably going to be starting practically from scratch too once that's up since I need to start with very light weights and go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Aww, lillianp, that sucks! I mean it's AWESOME that you don't have a herniated disc, obviously, but forced time off is no fun. Did they pinpoint what's wrong? Whatever it is, I hope you heal up fast!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:10 pm 

She thinks it's either a spasmed muscle or a strained muscle. And tendonitis or inflamed tendons or something in my shoulder. So yeah. Lots of time off which means it's time to work on my running times! Huzzah! (Well, once I give it another week or so for everything to calm down a little more)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 am 
WRETCHED

Well I think injuries can be opportunities to change things up so maybe that is one way to look at it. Even with you starting over, you really won't be starting over as muscle doesn't atrophy that quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Amandabear, I'm glad the DB versions worked out - sad times to trash your floors in the name of developed glutes :)

Lillianp, that sucks but I'm so glad for you its not a herniated disk. And when you get back into it, I think you'll progress fast. I'm a firm believer in muscle memory.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 pm 

emmalv wrote:
Amandabear, I'm glad the DB versions worked out - sad times to trash your floors in the name of developed glutes :)

Lillianp, that sucks but I'm so glad for you its not a herniated disk. And when you get back into it, I think you'll progress fast. I'm a firm believer in muscle memory.

Yes, I"m glad too. And I'm assuming I"ll progress faster than last time but just for the sake of ensuring muscle safety and form, I"m going to start low aaand start with the trainer package I got for christmas and still haven't used. I know just the guy too. (He's the trainer who's certified in powerlifting and olympic lifting AND he does work on rehab type things apparently) I saw him deadlift once and I can only dream of ever getting that heavy weight on a bar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 47  Next